News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Hiya!

Started by Xjeepguy, August 07, 2011, 08:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xjeepguy

New guy here, recent convert to the exciting world of athiesm. I was brought up in the Nazerene church, and never quite bought into the bible. Recently, I reached the age of reason and realized that as difficult as it is to go against something that was ingrained into me, from the time I was old enough to understand the english language, that I had to use reason and come to grips with the fact that I just dont believe in the fairy tale. I am happier now, and enjoying the freedom of an open mind.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Tank

Hi Xjeepguy

Glad you found your way here and joined in!

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Xjeepguy

Thanks!
My family isn't going to like this. My wife has said very little to me about it since I told her. She's not that religious, but I know she doesn't approve. I have not told my daughters or my parents that I am atheist yet. My parents will likely not talk to me for a while, and I am still thinking of a good way to break it to them. The freedom of thought feels great. It's like a load is off my shoulders, not having to apply religion to my daily decision making. At the end of the day, I am 34 yrs. old, and I am in charge of my own thinking (even if it IS for the first time).

Evilbeagle

Welcome to our happy place Xjeep
England expects every man to heed the old lie: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Melmoth

Hello xjeepguy! :) Nice to hear your enjoying life post deconversion.
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Xjeepguy

I have never been happier. Life is so much simpler when you dont have to apply religion to everything.

Tank

Quote from: Xjeepguy on August 12, 2011, 03:23:52 AM
I have never been happier. Life is so much simpler when you dont have to apply religion to everything.
That is a very, very common response when people finally realise that religions are just institutionalised superstitions.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Tank on August 12, 2011, 08:43:49 AM
Quote from: Xjeepguy on August 12, 2011, 03:23:52 AM
That is a very, very common response when people finally realise that religions are just institutionalised superstitions.

When you are caught up in it, everything you do throughout the course of the day, you find yourself looking at your every decision, wondering if you were going to piss off a vengeful god. The ridiculousness of the whole thing does not sink in due to the fact that the brainwashing starts when you are a baby, and it seems so normal. When something goes wrong, you automatically think you have done something wrong to deserve it. I am actually quite embarrassed that I went so long before seeing it for what it is.

Now life is simple, and I'm never looking back.

Black36