News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What Atheists think about Homosexuality?

Started by OhCheese, August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 15, 2012, 04:43:14 PM

The only thing they are demanding is to be treated like equal human beings. To get married like a human being, to not have to worry about people causing villence agaibst them just because they love the same gender. And that is the ONLY difference between a heterosexual and homosexual, gender preference, but no big, fat ass republicans and bible thumpers only.focus on a single  small aspect of them.
So yes, they march for equal rights, the same way african americans and women did (and are still doing!!}
Because unless you're heterosexual, caucasian and MALE; this world is fucking shit.
Wow, you are homophobic, and I hope Whit and Tank see this.

Bolded text are my highlights, not Sweetdeath's.

Sweetdeath, isn't what you're doing here basically painting with the same, broad brush you seem to dislike others doing? In this case, what you're accusing SA of doing?

I agree with you on pretty much every aspect of what you're saying, with the exception of these generalizations. Not all registered Republicans are homophobes or bible thumpers, and I do know Democrats who are. I live next to two, in fact, and personally know and dislike several more.
Yes, the Republicans lean that way, and the current crop of presidential front runners are as you described, but it's not an accurate statement that all are.

And the latter generalization that I bolded is simply inaccurate.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Ali

Quote from: McQ on January 15, 2012, 06:25:40 PM
Because unless you're heterosexual, caucasian and MALE; this world is fucking shit.

generalization that I bolded is simply inaccurate.

Without taking this thread too far off topic, can we do a spin off debate on this somewhere else?  Sounds interesting....

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2012, 09:52:11 AM
BCE, that was a cracking post.  ;D

Thank you, Tank (I love British slang).

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 15, 2012, 03:11:12 PM
I cant understand why ALL people cant keep their sexuality behind closed doors where it belongs instead of parading it around publicly and demanding entire Nations agree to what THEY deem reasonable to do .

So you also believe straights should not wear wedding rings or get married in public ceremonies, not have pictures of their lovers or families on their desks at work, not go with their partners to parties, not even talk with friends about the date they went on last night?  I can't go along with that, it is way too harsh.

Quote from: Asmodean on January 15, 2012, 05:04:49 PM
Why does it belong behind closed doors? What if I'm not in the slightest insecure about my sexuality, but rather proud of it as a part of who I am? Why should I then keep it behind closed doors? Just so some sexually repressed people can feel good about themselves?

Would love to hear an answer to this.

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 15, 2012, 03:16:37 PM
From the perspective of an Atheist,  not all Atheists embrace amorality and apathy.   

True, but very few atheists consider homosexuality amoral or apathetic.  What you're being asked to do is breakdown your reasoning for believing it amoral.  We know post 105 gave reasons, but it's been pointed out several times that those reasons are seriously flawed.  You need to go into more detail.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Firebird

SA:

I'd love to hear your answers to these questions:

- How do you feel about attempts in Nigeria and Uganda to jail or execute homosexuals? (See http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/nigeria-anti-gay-marriage-bill_n_1118866.html)
- How do you feel about what happened to Mathew Shepherd, the Wyoming student who was tortured and murdered for being gay?
- How do you feel about the US military getting rid of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, whereby anyone who was discovered to be gay, even if they didn't publicly announce it, would be kicked out?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sweetdeath

I didnt mean to generalise McQ ;; sorry. I was upset at his comments.
Everyone has problems in this world, in spite of race or gender.
I myself am mostly Irish, and live in the spanish ghetto. It kinda sucks, Lol! XD
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Ali on January 15, 2012, 04:47:06 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 04:50:21 PM
Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:33:08 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 04:29:37 PM
Struggling Atheist - As an atheist, can you please tell us why you object so strongly to homosexuality?  Thx.

I already did . Read Post 105 .  I replied in accordance to the OP asking me what i thought about it.

Can you please explain WHY it is a "perversion" and why you care what other people do anyway. ... From the perspective of an atheist, please.  Thx.

From the perspective of an Atheist,  not all Atheists embrace amorality and apathy.   Did you think these were two universal traits among all Atheists ?

Uh no, see, you still haven't explained why homosexuality is immoral. 

See, here's the deal.  I know why theists think that homosexuality is immoral - cause the bible says so.  Pretty cut and dried.

What I don't understand is why an atheist (who presumably doesn't feel particularly drawn to believe something just because the bible says so) thinks that homosexuality is immoral.  Stop referring us to read post 105, please.  We've all read it.  Please tell us why, specifically, homosexuality is immoral.  Thank you.

Fundamentally, because Homosexuality is a dangerous lifestyle both to the Participants as well as non-participating innocent people who often get disease infection, often culminating in premature death.  I think that is a good reason why it is immoral ;  if it were truly just 'another permissable and acceptable lifestyle choice' , then the severe consequences should not exist. Would you concur with this premise ? Here are some other reasons :  https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=What+are+the+dangers+of+homosexuality+%3F&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSNA_enUS419US419

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2012, 04:51:09 PM
Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 15, 2012, 03:11:12 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 14, 2012, 04:35:39 PM
Ugh, wow. Why would anyone give a shit about someone's sexual prefernce? Seriously. I cannot believe this is an issue for any human being.

I agree ;  I cant understand why ALL people cant keep their sexuality behind closed doors where it belongs instead of parading it around publicly and demanding entire Nations agree to what THEY deem reasonable to do .
The only thing they are demanding is to be treated like equal human beings. To get married like a human being, to not have to worry about people causing villence agaibst them just because they love the same gender. And that is the ONLY difference between a heterosexual and homosexual, gender preference, but no big, fat ass republicans and bible thumpers only.focus on a single  small aspect of them.
So yes, they march for equal rights, the same way african americans and women did (and are still doing!!}
Wow, you are homophobic, and I hope Whit and Tank see this.

Have no fear SD ALL the staff are keeping a very close eye on the behaviour of SA.

Well...I never expected the Spanish Inquisition  !   

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Firebird on January 15, 2012, 07:11:37 PM
SA:

I'd love to hear your answers to these questions:

1- How do you feel about attempts in Nigeria and Uganda to jail or execute homosexuals? (See http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/nigeria-anti-gay-marriage-bill_n_1118866.html)
2- How do you feel about what happened to Mathew Shepherd, the Wyoming student who was tortured and murdered for being gay?
3- How do you feel about the US military getting rid of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, whereby anyone who was discovered to be gay, even if they didn't publicly announce it, would be kicked out?

Answers--

1.  I disagree with Nigeria and Uganda over their action.  I think they should instead lovingly offer help toward the Homosexual  thru free Government sponsored Counselling .

2.   Murder is always wrong , regardless of how others try to justify it.  

3.  So long as a person is qualified and capable of being a U.S. Soldier , then they should be permitted to do what they signed up to do.   I dont see any need for ANY person to announce their sexual desires or preferences in public , and believe there are some private things that need to be enshrouded in privacy, some level of sacredness  , and personal responsibility.   I could care less if that goes against our cultures grain or not , and i dont mind being labeled counter-culture on various issues.

Stevil

How is this
QuoteI think they should instead lovingly offer help toward the Homosexual  thru free Government sponsored Counselling

consistent with this?
QuoteI dont see any need for ANY person to announce their sexual desires or preferences in public , and believe there are some private things that need to be enshrouded in privacy, sacredness  , and personal responsibility.

With regards to the first quote, what are they to be counseled for?
1. Their same sex attraction
or
2. Their desire to dress, walk and talk more femininely or masculinely than Struggling Atheist deems appropriate for that specific gender?

Traveler

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 15, 2012, 08:54:01 PM
...Fundamentally, because Homosexuality is a dangerous lifestyle both to the Participants as well as non-participating innocent people who often get disease infection, often culminating in premature death.  I think that is a good reason why it is immoral ;  if it were truly just 'another permissable and acceptable lifestyle choice' , then the severe consequences should not exist. Would you concur with this premise ?...

No. I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Some behaviors (I assume you're talking about unprotected anal sex) are more dangerous than others. But many straight people engage in those behaviors. Lesbians do not. Some gay men do not. So instead of worrying about the behavior, you're trashing an entire population based on whom they love.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Asmodean

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 15, 2012, 09:12:03 PM
and believe there are some private things that need to be enshrouded in privacy, some level of sacredness
That there. Why?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Genericguy

"what atheists think about homosexuality?".

The short answer... I don't. It's like asking what I think about rocks. Sure, rocks are cool I guess. Flip it around and it's the same response. "what do atheists think about heterosexuality?"... I don't.

I think the biggest reason someone would care, is because it threatens their own sexuality. I would be willing to bet money that Fred Phelps is gay or bisexual. The other members of the Westbrook baptist church are probably just misguided/brain washed, but the sorce of the hate probably stems from phelps' own sexual doubt. The bible is a scapegoat.

McQ

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 15, 2012, 07:19:23 PM
I didnt mean to generalise McQ ;; sorry. I was upset at his comments.
Everyone has problems in this world, in spite of race or gender.
I myself am mostly Irish, and live in the spanish ghetto. It kinda sucks, Lol! XD

Thanks. And my apologies, as well. I meant only to disagree with those points, not come across as confrontational about them, or rude.

Low blood sugar? Lack of sleep? Who knows! Lol!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean

Quote from: McQ on January 15, 2012, 10:15:02 PM
Low blood sugar? Lack of sleep? Who knows! Lol!
Conbine that with the lack of smokes, a back ache and a REALLY bad hair day, and you get the reason for The Asmo's current nail-spitting grumpiness.  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 15, 2012, 08:54:01 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 15, 2012, 04:47:06 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 04:50:21 PM
Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 14, 2012, 04:33:08 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 14, 2012, 04:29:37 PM
Struggling Atheist - As an atheist, can you please tell us why you object so strongly to homosexuality?  Thx.

I already did . Read Post 105 .  I replied in accordance to the OP asking me what i thought about it.

Can you please explain WHY it is a "perversion" and why you care what other people do anyway. ... From the perspective of an atheist, please.  Thx.

From the perspective of an Atheist,  not all Atheists embrace amorality and apathy.   Did you think these were two universal traits among all Atheists ?

Uh no, see, you still haven't explained why homosexuality is immoral. 

See, here's the deal.  I know why theists think that homosexuality is immoral - cause the bible says so.  Pretty cut and dried.

What I don't understand is why an atheist (who presumably doesn't feel particularly drawn to believe something just because the bible says so) thinks that homosexuality is immoral.  Stop referring us to read post 105, please.  We've all read it.  Please tell us why, specifically, homosexuality is immoral.  Thank you.

Fundamentally, because Homosexuality is a dangerous lifestyle both to the Participants as well as non-participating innocent people who often get disease infection, often culminating in premature death.  I think that is a good reason why it is immoral ;  if it were truly just 'another permissable and acceptable lifestyle choice' , then the severe consequences should not exist. Would you concur with this premise ? Here are some other reasons :  https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=What+are+the+dangers+of+homosexuality+%3F&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSNA_enUS419US419

No, SA, I would not agree with your premise because it makes no sense. The "severe consequences" you seem to be implying come with being homosexual do not go away if you are heterosexual. Plenty of heterosexual people have also gotten AIDS and other STDs, unfortunately. Plenty of heterosexual people also engage in anal sex. Plenty of homosexual people are also in loving, monogamous relationships, and do not exhibit the risky behaviors that you seem to generalize with all homosexuals. I know gay people who are parents, who are in committed relationships, who exhibit none of these supposedly risky behaviors, and they're among the finest people I know. You're generalizing that all homosexuals exhibit certain risky behavior, which is indeed the definition of prejudice against them as a group. You are homophobic.
And it is that kind of mentality that has led to the kinds of horrible things I asked you about before (the anti-homosexual laws in Africa, Mathew Shepherd, etc). Those are rooted in homophobia and prejudice, the same kind that you are exhibiting by your statements above. You want to know why so many gay people suffer from depression and a higher rate of suicide, which is also cited in the link you posted? Maybe it's because there are people like you who claim they're immoral and dangerous people who do not deserve the same civil rights and protections as other people. Then they became scapegoats for people to blame society's ills on, and that manifests itself into what I cited earlier.
Mathew Shepherd was clearly targeted because he was gay. How is that not a hate-crime worthy of the same protections afforded to other persecuted minorities in the US? Is arguing for that protection really some kind of "special right"?  If that's really how you feel, then I almost feel sorry for you. Almost, because it's people like you who stand by and argue that they don't deserve the same rights as the rest of us anyway, and that sickens me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"