News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What Atheists think about Homosexuality?

Started by OhCheese, August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Yeah, there we go, Tank! I thought we'd talked about this somewhat recently somewhere :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

Who care whether it is genetic or not?
I think it is incredibly open minded for a person to have sex with the same gender if they aren't genetically predisposed for it. I think it is great that they are that open minded. I must admit that I am not that open minded and I feel a bit guilty that I am not. I completely agree that there is nothing wrong with people being homosexual, absolutely nothing wrong with it.
The more society gets desensitised to it via TV, via movies, via having gay friends, via seeing gay people hold hands in public, kiss in public, the better for an open minded society. There was probably once a time where people were repulsed to see people from different races kissing.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on January 11, 2012, 06:25:08 PM
Who care whether it is genetic or not?
I think it is incredibly open minded for a person to have sex with the same gender if they aren't genetically predisposed for it. I think it is great that they are that open minded. I must admit that I am not that open minded and I feel a bit guilty that I am not. I completely agree that there is nothing wrong with people being homosexual, absolutely nothing wrong with it.
The more society gets desensitised to it via TV, via movies, via having gay friends, via seeing gay people hold hands in public, kiss in public, the better for an open minded society. There was probably once a time where people were repulsed to see people from different races kissing.
+1
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 11, 2012, 04:45:21 AM
I think human sexuality is far too complicated to wrap up with a neat little bow and a lot of how we perceive of the definitions that we use are culturally/historically relative. Our definition of homosexuality, as it exists today, didn't even exist a couple of hundred years ago. There have always been men who had sex with men and women who had sex with women, but could we really say they were "gay" if they didn't conceptualize of their sexuality that way? I think we have to admit that part of our modern sexuality has a social component that feeds into that identity.

Totally agree with this, not only does it apply to sexuality but to gender and race as well. If society stopped looking at what people are suppose to be and what people are they would quite blatantly see that people are far more diverse than the little holes we like to force them into.
Retired member.

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: OhCheese on August 05, 2011, 09:37:44 PM
As I said that I am a gay man and I had a lot of negative thoughts about my homosexuality when I been believe in God, but not anymore.

I am a member in Arabic Atheist forum and when I talked about my homosexuality there was a members didn't like that at all and they even asked me to don't reply for any subject that they post and they will do the same with my subjects. anyway that make me know that even Atheist people has negative view for homosexual but that doesn't mean because they are Atheist, Atheism it doesn't tell you how to live or what you should do in your life, it is just cares about God existence.

So what I want to know here is what you think about homosexuality??

I think the Homosexual militant agenda of trying to get everyone to admit that it is a permissable lifestyle , is very wrong to do plus it actually backfires on Homosexuals (whether of the militant variety or not) .  Like normal sexuality, it should be kept to oneself with some degree of sacredness .. and not flaunted to create dissension among the populace .   In fact,  it is a tacit admission that homosexuality is wrong by Homosexuals demanding everyone be tolerant to the lifestyle, as,  we dont ask people to be tolerant of things which are moral and correct --- only of things which are deviant and immoral .   Lastly, we can see that this deviant lifestyle is a very dangerous one to the Participants when we examine the very real STD epidemic  that has taken the lives of countless thousands of Homosexuals, prematurely, in a very painful and degrading manner .  Yes the consequences of sexual hedonism is the same for heterosexuals, but that doesnt nullify the extreme danger of the Homosexual lifestyle .  Finally..and perhaps MOST important....is the disdain I find in Homosexual Groups going into our gradeschools on up, to  encourage the very naive and impressionable in society  toward a lifestyle wrought with regret and danger.    The answer is to please keep it behind closed doors , dont vocalize it , dont cram it down our throats with televised gay parades , stop calling people 'Bigots'  because they dont agree with sexual perversion,  to which I thank you for in advance. 

Tank

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 13, 2012, 03:57:45 PM
As I said that I am a gay man and I had a lot of negative thoughts about my homosexuality when I been believe in God, but not anymore.

I am a member in Arabic Atheist forum and when I talked about my homosexuality there was a members didn't like that at all and they even asked me to don't reply for any subject that they post and they will do the same with my subjects. anyway that make me know that even Atheist people has negative view for homosexual but that doesn't mean because they are Atheist, Atheism it doesn't tell you how to live or what you should do in your life, it is just cares about God existence.

I think the Homosexual militant agenda of trying to get everyone to admit that it is a permissable lifestyle , is very wrong to do plus it actually backfires on Homosexuals (whether of the militant variety or not) .  Like normal sexuality, it should be kept to oneself with some degree of sacredness .. and not flaunted to create dissension among the populace .   In fact,  it is a tacit admission that homosexuality is wrong by Homosexuals demanding everyone be tolerant to the lifestyle, as,  we dont ask people to be tolerant of things which are moral and correct --- only of things which are deviant and immoral .   Lastly, we can see that this deviant lifestyle is a very dangerous one to the Participants when we examine the very real STD epidemic  that has taken the lives of countless thousands of Homosexuals, prematurely, in a very painful and degrading manner .  Yes the consequences of sexual hedonism is the same for heterosexuals, but that doesnt nullify the extreme danger of the Homosexual lifestyle .  Finally..and perhaps MOST important....is the disdain I find in Homosexual Groups going into our gradeschools on up, to  encourage the very naive and impressionable in society  toward a lifestyle wrought with regret and danger.    The answer is to please keep it behind closed doors , dont vocalize it , dont cram it down our throats with televised gay parades , stop calling people 'Bigots'  because they dont agree with sexual perversion,  to which I thank you for in advance.  

Quoted so I have a copy.

EDIT: I have suspended Struggling Atheists account for 1 day to prevent revisionism and to allow the staff to discuss extending the suspension or making it a permaban.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

Wow, I guess Whitney was right.  I guess there *are* atheists that oppose homosexuality....unless....you don't think.....maybe struggling atheist isn't...an atheist?  No!  Say it ain't so!

Tank

If you would like to express an opinion about Struggling Atheists long term membership of the forum please drop me a PM and I will add it to the staff discussion.

Davin

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 13, 2012, 03:57:45 PMI think the Homosexual militant agenda of trying to get everyone to admit that it is a permissable lifestyle , is very wrong to do plus it actually backfires on Homosexuals (whether of the militant variety or not) .  Like normal sexuality, it should be kept to oneself with some degree of sacredness .. and not flaunted to create dissension among the populace .
I am so far unaware of these public gay orgies. As far as I know, most people keep their sex lives to themselves.

Quote from: Struggling AtheistIn fact,  it is a tacit admission that homosexuality is wrong by Homosexuals demanding everyone be tolerant to the lifestyle, as,  we dont ask people to be tolerant of things which are moral and correct --- only of things which are deviant and immoral .
Just like poeple didn't have to be tolerant of women's suffrage? Just like people didn't have to ask that people be tolerant of equal rights for all races? Just like people didn't have to ask that people be tolerant of mixed race marriages? Please do tell how any of those things are immoral, beause there was a huge fight for people to not only be tolerant of them, but to allow other people to do them.

Quote from: Struggling AtheistLastly, we can see that this deviant lifestyle is a very dangerous one to the Participants when we examine the very real STD epidemic  that has taken the lives of countless thousands of Homosexuals, prematurely, in a very painful and degrading manner .  Yes the consequences of sexual hedonism is the same for heterosexuals, but that doesnt nullify the extreme danger of the Homosexual lifestyle .
STD's are a problem for all people having sex. You state that the consequences are the same for all people having sex, but you focus on one group? This is a very good example of confirmation bias.

Quote from: Struggling AtheistFinally..and perhaps MOST important....is the disdain I find in Homosexual Groups going into our gradeschools on up, to  encourage the very naive and impressionable in society  toward a lifestyle wrought with regret and danger.    The answer is to please keep it behind closed doors , dont vocalize it , dont cram it down our throats with televised gay parades , stop calling people 'Bigots'  because they dont agree with sexual perversion,  to which I thank you for in advance.
No one is encouraging children to be gay, they're merely trying to make it more comfortable for people to be themselves. It seems by these last few sentences that you personally have many issues around it, I encourage you to relax and let other people who are not unreasonabely affecting you, do things that don't affect you.

Also: is that you, Ex Atheist?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Whitney

Quote from: Ali on January 13, 2012, 04:27:45 PM
Wow, I guess Whitney was right.  I guess there *are* atheists that oppose homosexuality....unless....you don't think.....maybe struggling atheist isn't...an atheist?  No!  Say it ain't so!

I don't think SA is an atheist nor that he ever was...I think he's a liar for Jesus who is using the word "atheist" in place of "backsliding" (a term some Christians use to define a person who has strayed from the herd); there are those who do that even though it breaks a commandment.

Stevil

Like normal sexuality, it should be kept to oneself with some degree of sacredness .. and not flaunted to create dissension among the populace .
Sexuality is part of nature and a part of most people's lives. A person does not have to hide parts of their lives for fear that others may find them unacceptable. The more open people are, the more accepting society will become eventually. Their is a social stigma about homosexuallity but that is likely because so many people have hidden that from society. We all need to become desensitised to it.

In fact,  it is a tacit admission that homosexuality is wrong by Homosexuals demanding everyone be tolerant to the lifestyle, as,  we dont ask people to be tolerant of things which are moral and correct
In my opinion there is no such thing as moral and correct. At best you can only have a personal opinion on what is moral and correct. This subjective morality is best described as your own personal values. It is absurd to judge others based on your own personal values. You are aiming at different goal posts.

Lastly, we can see that this deviant lifestyle is a very dangerous one to the Participants when we examine the very real STD epidemic  that has taken the lives of countless thousands of Homosexuals, prematurely, in a very painful and degrading manner .
If only STD's were restricted to deviant lifestyles only, that way people belonging to the non deviant lifestyle group could be free of them. But alas there is no such "cosmic justice". STD's seem to be amoral.

Yes the consequences of sexual hedonism is the same for heterosexuals, but that doesnt nullify the extreme danger of the Homosexual lifestyle.
Please elaborate on this?

Finally..and perhaps MOST important....is the disdain I find in Homosexual Groups going into our gradeschools on up, to  encourage the very naive and impressionable in society  toward a lifestyle wrought with regret and danger.
Huh? Children ought to be encouraged to be themselves, not to hide themselves away from society, not to have internal struggles with themselves and to deny their own sexuality. If a child is gay, this child ought to be encouraged that being gay is A OK  :D

The answer is to please keep it behind closed doors.
OhCheese, this is a very open forum. Please feel free to talk about any aspect of your life. You will find the vast majority here support you in being you.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Whitney on January 13, 2012, 06:05:13 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 13, 2012, 04:27:45 PM
Wow, I guess Whitney was right.  I guess there *are* atheists that oppose homosexuality....unless....you don't think.....maybe struggling atheist isn't...an atheist?  No!  Say it ain't so!

I don't think SA is an atheist nor that he ever was...I think he's a liar for Jesus who is using the word "atheist" in place of "backsliding" (a term some Christians use to define a person who has strayed from the herd); there are those who do that even though it breaks a commandment.
yep, I get the distinct impression SA is a struggling atheist because actually they're a Christian, and a rather bigoted Christian at that. Calling homosexuals 'deviants' and 'perverts' is inflammatory and offensive, and it's a really nasty distasteful post.

Traveler

I think struggling atheist is showing his true colors in a much more blatant and offensive way. This one is a troll of the worst possible sort, and although I'm rarely in favor of bans, this guy's on his way in my eyes. This latest post is offensive, intolerant, and a huge red flag about his honesty here about who he is.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: Tank on January 13, 2012, 04:00:25 PM

I think the Homosexual militant agenda of trying to get everyone to admit that it is a permissable lifestyle , is very wrong to do plus it actually backfires on Homosexuals (whether of the militant variety or not) .  Like normal sexuality, it should be kept to oneself with some degree of sacredness .. and not flaunted to create dissension among the populace .   In fact,  it is a tacit admission that homosexuality is wrong by Homosexuals demanding everyone be tolerant to the lifestyle, as,  we dont ask people to be tolerant of things which are moral and correct --- only of things which are deviant and immoral .   Lastly, we can see that this deviant lifestyle is a very dangerous one to the Participants when we examine the very real STD epidemic  that has taken the lives of countless thousands of Homosexuals, prematurely, in a very painful and degrading manner .  Yes the consequences of sexual hedonism is the same for heterosexuals, but that doesnt nullify the extreme danger of the Homosexual lifestyle .  Finally..and perhaps MOST important....is the disdain I find in Homosexual Groups going into our gradeschools on up, to  encourage the very naive and impressionable in society  toward a lifestyle wrought with regret and danger.    The answer is to please keep it behind closed doors , dont vocalize it , dont cram it down our throats with televised gay parades , stop calling people 'Bigots'  because they dont agree with sexual perversion,  to which I thank you for in advance.  

Quoted so I have a copy.

EDIT: I have suspended Struggling Atheists account for 1 day to prevent revisionism and to allow the staff to discuss extending the suspension or making it a permaban.

The OP freely asked for peoples views and opinions on homosexuality ;  was I required to be tolerant of every view in this Forum,  even if i disagree with it ?   I gave honest answers to the OP questions and without personal defamation toward the OP .    Further,  it is NOT a case of me being 'homophobic'  because 3 days ago at the Walmart checkout register , i was standing next to two obvious homosexual men  and I didnt feel an ounce of fear toward them,  didnt fear acquiring homosexuality from them, nor feared being in their presence.   Thank you.