News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Where do you sit on the Dawkins belief scale?

Started by Tank, August 04, 2011, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: phillip1882 on September 26, 2011, 02:29:44 PM
God i believe in isn't really the God of the bible.
(which i think Dawkins was refering to.)
Works for the vast majority of gods within organised religion, not just the Abrahamic one.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

saulgood

I sometimes manage to paralyse myself with over-analytical thought. I can waste embarrassing amounts of time and energy in beautifully useless circular thought patterns but I'm delighted to say that it is many years since I last wasted even one second in doubt as to whether a God may exist.

Having said that I'm not arrogant enough to insist that I absolutely must be right.  I'm only a hairy ape after all!

So, I'm a 6 in company and 7 when I'm alone.
"He wrapped himself in quotations- as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors."
Rudyard Kipling

Tank

Quote from: saulgood on September 27, 2011, 11:26:33 PM
I sometimes manage to paralyse myself with over-analytical thought. I can waste embarrassing amounts of time and energy in beautifully useless circular thought patterns but I'm delighted to say that it is many years since I last wasted even one second in doubt as to whether a God may exist.

Having said that I'm not arrogant enough to insist that I absolutely must be right.  I'm only a hairy ape after all!

So, I'm a 6 in company and 7 when I'm alone.
That's a very good way of putting it, I agree as I'm like that too.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

I'm struggling a little with regards to what the difference is between a 6 and a 7 and where I sit, thus far I have been saying 6.
We both live our lives as if there is no god. We would both accept that god exists if shown conclusive proof.

I certainly have no fear of hell or the wrath of god or that my lack of belief will lead me to eternal torture.

But the more I think about it, the harder I get. Hard Atheism that is (take your mind out of the gutter). Maybe I do believe that there is no god. Nothing to be ashamed of in having a belief. But I am certainly not going to try and convince others, I have no proof to back up my stance. Just an ability to point out the empty void with regards to evidence in favour of the god theories. I am unconvinced to the point that these theories may as well not exist.

Tank

I think the issue that Dawkins was trying to raise awarness of was that there could be a 1 and a 7, but a rational person can be neither as God can neither be absolutly proved nor disproved.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on September 28, 2011, 10:37:20 AM
I think the issue that Dawkins was trying to raise awarness of was that there could be a 1 and a 7, but a rational person can be neither as God can neither be absolutly proved nor disproved.

I think people start out as rational 6s but then are struck by an onslaught of madness and five units of separation just isn't enough. 
I can sympathise, I feel the pain, but shaky sixes, don't let the ones drive you to extremity.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on September 28, 2011, 02:27:21 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 28, 2011, 10:37:20 AM

I think people start out as rational 6s but then are struck by an onslaught of madness and five units of separation just isn't enough. 
I can sympathise, I feel the pain, but shaky sixes, don't let the ones drive you to extremity.
That is very true. Before I had been exposed to some people like SuperiorEd I used to be relativley benevolent towards Christians, I wouldn't give them an inch now, under almost any circumstances.

Denty420

I've also put myself as a 6, which seems to be a popular choice with most of us on seeing the results. If someone asked me if there is a god, I would reply, 'I don't know.' But if they asked if I believe there is a god, I'd say not on your nelly!
It does not matter if you are a person of faith or an atheist. Life shits on everybody from the same height.

Tank

The scary thing is that I have yet to meet a theist that didn't, in some way or another, increase my atheism  ;D

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on October 05, 2011, 04:12:19 PM
The scary thing is that I have yet to meet a theist that didn't, in some way or another, increase my atheism  ;D

"Thank god I'm an atheist," eh?  Now that you mention it, while I have met a few Xtians who made me think that religion isn't a total loss for those who need it, none of them has made me think "maybe I should give it another go".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Norfolk And Chance

Absolutely a 7 for me, I know there is no god. How do I know? Because there is no evidence of his existence. Why is that? Because there is no god. Easy.

Just because I cannot disprove the existence of a non existent, needless, stupid, made up entity, does not necessarily mean that there is even a tiny chance of him existing.

I can see why scientists and hardcore debators would say "6 - as sure as I can be, but cannot rule it out" because they don't want to be left open to attack by the "you can't prove there is no god" brigade. But personally, that doesn't bother me.

In fact if there was an 8 on the scale, I'd be it.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 14, 2011, 01:39:17 AM
Absolutely a 7 for me, I know there is no god. How do I know? Because there is no evidence of his existence. Why is that? Because there is no god. Easy.

I'm a 2 on the other end of the scale, but I don't think anyone can be a 1 or a 7 and still claim to be taking a totally rational position.  Consider if I said: "Absolutely a 1 for me, I know there is a God. How do I know? Because I have encountered Him. How do I know I encountered Him?  Because He exists. Easy."  I would be taking essentially the same position as you are taking, just on the other end of the scale.  6 and 2 are as high as anyone can take and still be considered rational positions.  On your end, there is probably no known evidence right now of a lot of things in the universe - but that evidence may surface someday.  On my end, it may turn out that the God someone thinks they encountered is something else altogether. So nobody can justifiably be absolutely certain. Christians are agnostic because they don't actually know God exists - they only believe. Atheists are agnostic because they don't actually know - they simply have not been shown anything that indicates to them that God exists.

Heisenberg

Definitely a 6 for me. As others have said, there is zero evidence to believe. I can't call myself a 7 because I'm not certain, no one is. Except of course for people who have a 'personal relationship' with jesus christ.
"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low"-John Lennon

Norfolk And Chance

I'm certain there is no god. I said certain.

I'm also certain there are no unicorns, no fire breathing dragons and no santa claus, flying reindeers and elves.

People can call me irrational all they like.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Asmodean

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 23, 2011, 02:37:31 PM
I'm certain there is no god. I said certain.

I'm also certain there are no unicorns, no fire breathing dragons and no santa claus, flying reindeers and elves.

People can call me irrational all they like.
You are not, as long as when confronted with conclusive evidence to the contrary, you amend your certainties. By that line of thought, I am a seven on the scale in terms of certainty, but only six in terms of mule-headedness about it. Thus, it's cathegory 6+ for me.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.