News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Where do you sit on the Dawkins belief scale?

Started by Tank, August 04, 2011, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Too Few Lions

6.5+
7 as far as the gods of Christianity, Islam or any other religion go, 6 when it comes to a more general deism

Sweetdeath

^ I like this.
I'm also 7 as far as christian and islamic gods.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ihateyoumike

If god means something that created everything, then I'm a 6.
If god means any of the gods ever made up by humans, then I'd have to go with being a 7.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

history_geek

Somewhere between 6 and 7. Human made religions worship human made and imaginary deities, but that doesn't mean that what we might consider "god" couldn't exist.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Tank

This is interesting. So far the proportion of 7's here is considerably lower than at RDF. But we do have a much lower sample so far.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

It is interesting, Tank.  A lot of us seem to 6.5.
And we all seem to agree even IF THERE is a god(s), religion is bogus.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Medusa

I'd love to know the four 7s that replied. They must be uber smart and know everything! Maybe I can convince them to give up the Lotto numbers so I can become a billionare!  :P
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Siz

6 for me.

A 7 is for when all there is to be learned has been learned. Otherwise a 7 is rationally overinflated... a little hysterical even...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Xjeepguy

At this point in my life, with the information I have, I am a 7. If other information becomes available to me that could sway me otherwise I will listen to it, but I truly believe there is no god. I don't think that means the journey is over and I have reached my permanent conclusion, just that right now, I am 7.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Siz

Quote from: Tank on August 31, 2011, 08:59:36 AM
This is interesting. So far the proportion of 7's here is considerably lower than at RDF. But we do have a much lower sample so far.

Does that not say more about their decision-making than their beliefs?

RD himself is a 6. If it's good enough for him...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 09, 2011, 09:05:38 AM

90% of the people who proclaimed themselves '7s' did so on the basis of intuitive leaps that god simple could not exist, most the remainder cited the total lack of any evidence for god as sufficient 'inverse proof' to state that god did not exist.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Siz

Quote from: Tank on September 09, 2011, 09:24:03 AM

90% of the people who proclaimed themselves '7s' did so on the basis of intuitive leaps that god simple could not exist, most the remainder cited the total lack of any evidence for god as sufficient 'inverse proof' to state that god did not exist.

Intuitive leaps do not constitute good science - neither does inverse proof. Cetrtainly not to the tune of 100%. That is exactly the flawed thinking of which they accuse the religious righteous. Crikey, and this from Dawkinsian accolytes... Pots and kettles... Shame on them!

Tank

Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 09, 2011, 09:34:15 AM

Intuitive leaps do not constitute good science - neither does inverse proof. Cetrtainly not to the tune of 100%. That is exactly the flawed thinking of which they accuse the religious righteous. Crikey, and this from Dawkinsian accolytes... Pots and kettles... Shame on them!
Well Dawkins was making the point with the '7' that some atheists are not immune to letting their hearts rule their heads. Although I have seen some arguments that are very well constructed that could conceivably support the position 'God does not exist, because etc."

Siz

Quote from: Tank on September 09, 2011, 09:40:26 AM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 09, 2011, 09:34:15 AM

Well Dawkins was making the point with the '7' that some atheists are not immune to letting their hearts rule their heads. Although I have seen some arguments that are very well constructed that could conceivably support the position 'God does not exist, because etc."

Yeah, I'm all for a positive argument well put and I respect a 7 conscientiously derived. But I suppose the atheist community is not immune from rash bullheadedness and tunnel vision. Boy, have I got my work cut out to change the world... ;D