News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Gun fanatics?

Started by ZombiePhysics, August 03, 2011, 01:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: Tank on August 06, 2011, 01:47:54 PM
In the USA guns are a fact of life.

Guns are not a fact of life in the US...the average person can go their whole life without needing to touch one and most will never have one pointed at them. 

Even for home defense the average person is better off remembering 911 than trying to pretend they are a hero.  An exception may exist for people who live in the ghetto or rural areas where police response times are lengthy.  Where I live they respond in less than 5 minutes for non-emergencies like strange sounds in the alley....I could hide for at least that long if someone was in my house.

If I felt the need to protect myself I'd probably have better luck with a well trained large dog than a gun; and the dog couldn't be turned against me.

Gawen

Quote from: Whitney on August 06, 2011, 08:43:46 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 06, 2011, 01:47:54 PM
In the USA guns are a fact of life.

Guns are not a fact of life in the US...the average person can go their whole life without needing to touch one and most will never have one pointed at them. 
It is possible, Whitney, that Tank meant just what he said, and I'd have to agree with him. A person in the US may never ever touch a gun, let alone be on the muzzle side of it, but guns, like religion are a fact of life for every US citizen, even those prohibited them. Every constitutional point or Bill of Rights is a fact of life for US citizens whether they don't know what either of the papers say or come into some sort of contact with the papers points.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Medusa

It could depend upon your perspective. Living in Los Angeles, guns is not only a part of our lives..it's a part of our children's lives as well.  :(
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Xjeepguy

I have owned quite a few firearms over the years, and although I have never pointed one at another human, they did give a sense of security. My family in general is heavily into firearms. Do I believe the 2nd amendment was written to be read as-is? Yes. Do I believe the founding fathers would have ever imagined firearms would ever cause the problems they have caused in this country? No. If they could see the country the way it is now, would they have still written the 2nd amendment the way they did? Never.

There is an irresponsible view toward firearms in this country. I would love to see more stringent gun laws to keep idiots from having access to them. It should be difficult to get a firearm, and firearm crime penalties should be very steep. Just my .02
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg