The Transitory Nature of Truth and the Question of Elephants.

Started by The Magic Pudding, July 30, 2011, 01:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Hannibal led his elephants across the Alps, he had some success but Carthage ended up being destroyed and sown with salt.
But now I'm told Carthage wasn't sowed with salt at all, it was a story started in the 1930s.  As far as I know Hannibal did use elephants, but I'm awaiting news he merely wore an elephant hat and made elephanty noises.

So truth changes, offer your own examples if you will.  You might get an extra point for a truth that was then wasn't then was again, like the medical efficacy of leeches.  Oh but if you thought it was a good idea to remove a leech with salt, well sorry that is no longer true.

fester30

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 30, 2011, 01:34:05 AM
Hannibal led his elephants across the Alps, he had some success but Carthage ended up being destroyed and sown with salt.
But now I'm told Carthage wasn't sowed with salt at all, it was a story started in the 1930s.  As far as I know Hannibal did use elephants, but I'm awaiting news he merely wore an elephant hat and made elephanty noises.

So truth changes, offer your own examples if you will.  You might get an extra point for a truth that was then wasn't then was again, like the medical efficacy of leeches.  Oh but if you thought it was a good idea to remove a leech with salt, well sorry that is no longer true.

Unless it's salt from Carthage.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: fester30 on July 30, 2011, 02:23:50 AM
Unless it's salt from Carthage.

Carthage Salt sounds like a good brand name.
Scipio Salt sounds pretty cool too though.
My wife tells me salt is like razor blades in your veins which I totally ignore.
I would buy Razors In Your Veins Salt.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Well the obvious one is the existance of God(s). Thousands have come and gone and come back and gone again. They've morphed and merged and split at the whim of fashion and fortune.

Ganehsa would be one fine example.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

Ahhhh...I get it now! The existence of Gods is dependent on salt!
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

OldGit

That'll be why religion always raises my blood pressure.  ;D

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank