News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Roy's recently seen movies.

Started by roy1967, July 29, 2011, 06:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roy1967

Did a quick search under "movie reviews" to see if this had been done before, didn't see one.

I am going to start a thread with reviews of movies I have seen recently.  I hope to post after every film I see.  I don't generally see movies as they come out, so have to wait for DVD so I may be a bit behind the times.  I have also printed out a couple of lists of the "top 100" films of all time and the "top 50" sci fi movies so will be trying to watch some of those.

I'll post them regardless if there is any participation.  Perhaps this will be a flop?  Discussion is welcome if you're interested, and please, post any reviews of any movies you've seen recently!  I may want to watch them!

Between our new stellar IMAX, and both DVD and streaming Netflix, I should be able to keep up a decent pace.  I am no pro, so my reviews may be so amatuerish as to to be laughable.  But I don't care......I love movies!

p.s:  If you choose to post a review, please make it somewhat general, no spoilers please.  I will try to do the same!   Thanks!
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

roy1967

The Town.  (2010)

My family and I watched this movie last week on DVD.  It stars Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner (of Hurt Locker fame) as Doug MacRay and James Coughlin respectively.

Doug and James are part of a group of thieves knocking over banks or whatever else might net them a hefty payday.  During one of their heists, James takes a woman hostage, and they all flee the scene with her in tow.  They let her go, and while Doug (Ben) is watching her over the next few weeks, to make sure she won't lead the FBI to the gang, he becomes romatically involved.  This creates a mess, and a conflict with James.  Good moviemaking ensues.

I've never been a big Ben Affleck fan, but I thought he did a nice job in this film.  He both co-wrote it and directed it.  Many times Ben got so well into the part, that I forgot it was him.  To me, that's pretty good acting.  The heists are well done, and seem to be doable, no impossible stuff like we see so often, and Jeremy Renner is very good as the loose cannon.  I was satisfied with the ending, and the final theft was way cool.

I would give this movie a solid 7 out of 10, and would recommend it to my friends.

Roy
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tank

Good thread. I will add to it when I can. We really need a 'spoiler' control now!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

roy1967

Thanks Tank.  I have altered my original post to encourage people not to post spoilers.  thanks for the heads up.

Roy

Franklin D. Roosevelt

roy1967

The Social Network  (2010)

Got to see this one last week.  My daughter wanted me to see it pretty bad, so got it through netflix.  If you don't know what this movie is about, then you just don't watch movies.

The Social Network is the story of Mark Zuckerberg and the rise of Facebook.

I kind of had some preconceptions of Mark Z. after watching a piece that was done about him on 60 minutes, so wasn't sure how I would react to the movie, but was pleasantly surprised.  Jessie Eisenberg plays Mark, and gets him down pretty good.  At the beginning of the movie it was hard to follow the conversations because he talks so fast.  Eventually you get used to it and the movie rolls along pretty good.  I thought the supporting cast was very good, Armie Hammer was incredible as the Winklevoss brothers (yes he played both brothers!).

I personally believe the movie took some liberties with the story, but it was a good movie all the same.  It won a number of awards, but the most deserved award was the oscar and golden globe that Trent Reznor (nine inch nails fame) won for the music score.  It was pretty incredible and helped move the movie.

If you're one of the few (like me) who hadn't seen "The Social Network", I would definitely recommend it.

7.5 out of 10

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tank

I saw that a week or so ago and had very low expectations but was very plesently surprised indeed. If you like a thoughtful and well acted movie then it's a worthwhile watch.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

roy1967

I.O.U.S.A.   (2008)

I.O.U.S.A. is a documentary made in 2008 just as the United States was heading into the financial mess it's currently in now.  

The Documentary is pretty incredible.  It explains in no uncertain terms, where the country was headed at the time, showing the viewer exactly where we have gone wrong, where we have screwed the pooch, and how the majority of politicians have kept their heads in the sand while it was going on.  Watching the doc, you get a clear view of when we took the wrong branch and the tailspin we have been in since.  For a no math, non-economic mind like mine, it was easy to follow, and clearly explained.  The people who are the main focus of the film (including a U.S. comptroller general) go around the country trying to explain to people where we were headed, attending hearings, and conventions, and you get the idea they are talking to a bunch of zombies.

I.O.U.S.A. goes into my "great" documentary list, and I would recommend it to anyone.  In fact, I think all Americans should be sent a copy.

9 out of 10

I LOVE DOCUMENTARIES!

Franklin D. Roosevelt

roy1967

Jonah Hex (2010)

Thought about seeing Jonah Hex at the movies when it came out....glad I didn't spend the cash.

Josh Brolin plays Jonah Hex, an ex confederate soldier who, while trying to do the right thing, kills General Turnbull's son.  Turnbull is played by John Malkovich, and takes revenge on Jonah by killing his entire family, and disfiguring his face.  After almost dying, and being revived by Indians, Hex aquired the unique ability to revive and talk to the dead, as long as he's touching them.  After believing Turnbull dead, Jonah finds out he's alive with a horrible plan for the destruction of the union.  Grant gets wind of it, and recruits Hex to track turnbull down, and stop him.

I expected good things from this movie, but it just never got going for me.  I think John Malkovich was mis-cast (I'm a huge J.M. fan) and the character didn't do his acting skills any justice.  Brolin played the part well, but it wasn't much of a part.  Megan Fox played the part of Lilah, but it didn't matter what part she played, she was FREAKING HOT!   ;D

The movie was a failure for me though.  Good for a rental, but glad I didn't spend the cash to go see it.

4 out of 10

Franklin D. Roosevelt

roy1967

Gashole (2010)

Today I watched this documentary on fossil fuels.

Gashole is an outstanding documentary, describing the history of oil and gasoline in the United States, where our incredible need for it comes from, the problems associated with that need, and where we should go from here.  I got more information about America's oil problem in this movie than I have in all the news casts I have ever watched on the subject.  Starting with a little known man in Texas named Tom Odle who modified a 70's model car, and ran it 200 miles on two gallons of gas.  It was documented and witnessed, yet buried after selling the idea to a company which promised to produce it, and his untimely death within the same year.  The history of big oil and their suppression of patents and ideas to improve gas mileage in cars was a huge eyeopener for me.  The turning of a blind eye and deaf ear by politicians to the complaints of the common people and the coddling of the oil executives made me want to puke.  The story of the diesel engine and it's compatability with biofuels and the resulting suppression of biofuels enterpreneurs by big oil left me feeling angry.

I loved this documentary.  I wish more people would watch it.  I will definitely watch it again.

9.5 out of 10

Franklin D. Roosevelt

roy1967

All Quiet on the Western Front   (1930)

I don't normally watch older movies.  I don't find them entertaining, and I've always thought the acting was extremely amateurish.  That said, I had an opportunity to see All Quiet on the Western Front on TCM the other day.  I had never even seen pieces of the 1930 version, and had seen various clips from the 1979 tv movie.  Being a history (and military history) enthusiast, I thought it was time to watch it.

AQotWF is a story about a group of young German men filled with enthusiasm to fight for their country in World War I.  It is based on a book written in 1928 (and subsequently banned in Nazi Germany) by Erich Maria Remarque, a German WWI veteran, about the price soldiers pay in war, both physically and mentally.

The movie centers on a group of older schoolboys, and on Paul Baumer in particular.  At the beginning, the boys are stirred to join the army and fight for Germany by their school teacher, who preaches glory and honor and the need for valiant young men to join the fight.  By the end of the war, most of the group is dead, and war was not as glorious as advertised.

I was surprised with this movie, it was remarkably well done, the battle scenes were some of the best I've ever seen of WWI.  The acting was well done, and there were many powerful scenes.  The old veteran (Kat) who takes the boys under his command and shows them how to survive is funny and well played. It has been called the first anti-war movie ever made.

I can see why this film won Oscars for best picture and best director for 1930. A nice surprise for someone like me, who has never had a soft spot for the oldies.

6.5 out of 10

Franklin D. Roosevelt

roy1967

Inception  (2010)

Saw this movie via netflix Sunday.  All I can really say is Wow!

Leonardo DiCaprio is Cobb, an "extractor" who can enter another person's dream and extract vital information without the victim knowing he's being manipulated in that dream.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt is his right hand man Arthur.  The movie also stars Ken Watanabe and Ellen Page.

Saito (Ken Watanabe) convinces Cobb to perform an "inception" in a rival buisnessman's dream.  Inception being the planting of an idea without the subject being aware it has been planted. Arthur describes the difficulty (impossibility actually) of inception with an example: "If I tell you not to think of an elephant, what are you going to think of?....an elephant".  Cobb disagrees, saying he had done it once before, and could do it again, all Saito has to do is fix Cobb's one big problem: He's wanted in the US and can't go back there and see his kids, because he'll be arrested.  Saito agrees to fix it upon completion of the inception.  Ellen Page is recruited to be a dream architect, creating dream worlds used for the operation.

The movie gets pretty complicated, and you have to pay attention, but it is brilliantly done.  The special effects are incredible, all the actors are believable, and despite DiCaprio's leading role, Gordon-Levitt as Arthur is the heavy lifter in the movie.  Ellen Page is outstanding, and beautiful to boot.

I wish I had been able to see this on the big screen.

9 Stars out of 10.  Easy

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Xjeepguy

Selling God

Netflix, Documentary

An amazing, candid and funny look into the business of religion. I recommend this one to everybody. I may have even converted my wife with this one.

9 out of 10
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

roy1967

Have seen a number of films over the last couple of weeks, but have had no time to post.

First up:

9  (2009)

In a world torn apart in a war between men and machines, a rag doll given life by a scientist tries to help his friends (also rag dolls) defeat an evil machine mass producer. (the doll is number 9)

Not sure what I expected out of this movie, but it certainly wasn't what I got.  The animation is top notch and I expected it to be gloomy, it's produced by Tim Burton after all, but this seemed particularly grim.  I wouldn't want a child to watch it.  It really seemed like it was made to depress you.

4 out of 10.

---------

Blade Runner  (1982)

Even though I am a sci-fi nut, I had never seen Blade Runner in it's entirety.  So figured it was high time to do so.

Harrison ford is Decker, a Blade Runner (specialized cop) tasked with tracking down 4 replicants (life like robots) who are very difficult to recognize as such.  While following through on his task, he meets a new model named Rachael (Sean Young......beautiful) and begins to have doubts about them just being machines.  Ultimately he runs afoul of the replicant leader, Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer.....awesome) in a climactic clash.

The movie is getting a bit dated, it's hard to get around the cheesy-ness of the sets and surroundings, and the Vangelis soundtrack made me want to pull my hair out, but the story is solid, the acting by the main characters is good, and I did enjoy it.  It generally makes the top 10 of most SF film lists, but I wouldn't quite go that far myself.

6.5 out of 10

-------------

Flame and Citron   (2008)

A Danish movie about the little known Holger Danske resistance in Denmark, Flame and Citron tells the story of Bent Faurschou-Hviid (Flame due to his red hair) and Jorgen Haagen Schmith (Citron); two assassins in the resistance.  Flame is the trigger man, and Citron, the driver.  Known for killing Danes who supported the Nazis, the two men are given instructions by their handler Winther, who gets his instructions from the Allies.  Things get complicated when they are instructed to start killing Germans.  Bent gets involved with a woman named Ketty (possibly a double agent), and the two are informed that they may actually be carrying out revenge killings for Winther.

I really liked this movie, I have no problem with subtitles, and I like foreign movies.  It's nice to hear the languages used by actors playing characters in other countries.  The movie is really well done, very believable, Flame is brutal, Citron is conflicted, and the plot is moved along nicely.

8 of 10

----------

Sucker Punch  (2011)

Sucker Punch is a very viewer specific movie, aimed a young men, people who like big effects, or both.  I desperately wanted to see this at the IMAX, and was waiting on my kids schedule to free up, because they both wanted to go, but alas, the movie moved on before we could get together.  All of the reviews I read were in one of two camps.....  Hated it, or loved it.  There weren't many on the fence.

Emily Browning plays Baby Doll, a young woman accused of a crime by her stepfather and incarcerated in an all woman insane asylum.  Scheduled for a lobotomy in 5 days, she loses herself in a fantasy world where a mysterious man (Scott Glen) tells her she can escape by finding five items.  She is joined in her quest by 4 other inmates, all beautiful and all kick ass.

This movie blew me away.  Many times people dislike a movie because their expectations were all wrong.  If you see this movie expecting great dialogue, incredible plot, and oscar winning acting, you will be sorely disappointed.  If you watch it expecting gorgeous women (without nudity) kicking ass, action sequences in CGI worlds set at the edge of what a person can imagine, and a soundtrack the fits the film perfectly while kicking ass along with the ladies (yes, I have surround sound!), then you will be amazed.

Solid 9 out of 10 for me.

------------

A Crude Awakening  (2006)

A Crude Awakening is a documentary detailing our incredible reliance on and addiction to oil.  It details peak oil, and what could happen if we run out.  It is a chilling tale, and really gets a person thinking about all the things in the world that are only here because of oil, including our population of 7 billion people, which will be unsustainable without oil.  I recommend this doc to everyone, if for no other reason than to make us all think.....

7 out of 10

------------

Skyline (2010)

Rarely have I seen a movie that started off so good, with so much potential, letting me hope that I had found a serious sci-fi flick that got so stupid halfway through, and ended badly as I did with Skyline.

Eric Balfour plays Jarrod, who with his pregnant girlfriend visit a very rich athlete friend, and while they are there the world is invaded by aliens, setting up a survival of the smartest / fittest, and a battle to the end.

The effects start out world class, and I'm sitting there wondering why this film only got 2 stars on the netflix viewer ratings.  The invasion is unique, the Aliens are very convincing, and the story isn't horrible.  Then things start getting goofy.  I wish movies were made without all the death defying superhuman stunts that no person could ever survive, much less keep going.  I found myself hoping the end would come soon, either for the movie, or for me..... (it was late).  Damn.... the end was stupid too.

3 out of 10

------------

The End of the Line  (2009)

A documentary on the effects of world overfishing in the last 50 years, The End of the Line is a must see for everyone concerned about our future, and more so for those who aren't.  Facts don't lie, and this doc lays them out for all to see.  From the elimination of the Cod population in Nova Scotia, to the dwindling numbers of Bluefin Tuna in the Mediterranean.  This doc reveals how humans have started down a possibly irreversible path to de-population of our oceans, and how we pay almost no attention to it, thinking it is infinitely renewable.  Quite possibly the best documentary I have ever seen.

9.5 out of 10    Watch it.

That's it!  Now off to watch some more movies!

Roy

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tank