News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Pseudoscience/Paranormal

Started by McQ, July 11, 2006, 04:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

I don't know where the proper place to post this question is, so I'll try here, since it invloves pseudoscience. I'm curious to know how far peoples' beliefs extend within the realm of science and its bizarro world counterpart, pseudoscience. I know this is an Atheist forum, and many of the members, like myself, reject the notion of a god, God, Jebus, etc.

But in other forums in which I participate, I've found people who reject Christianity, for instance, but accept ESP, paranormal phenomena, pseudoscience (like free energy machines, Velikovskyism, magnet therapy).

Wanted to test the water here. I do not believe that ESP exists. Neither do I believe in any paranormal claims, like telekinesis, ghosts, poltergeists, etc. Same goes for E.T. visiting. Life elsewhere in the cosmos? Yes. Little greys, greens and the like visiting Earth? Not even remotely. Uri Geller? A crappy magician.

What kinds of things do you all hold true or bogus?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Jassman

I share your opinion on everything you've listed so far.

No ESP, ghosts, perpetual motion machines, etc...

Not one person has ever demonstrated ESP in a situation where it was impossible to cheat. There are many alternate and more logical explanations for the ghost phenomenon. I could keep going down the list...

The almost unimaginable size of the universe makes it fairly likely that there is other life outside of the earth. It is probably so far away though as to be irrelevant to us.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Asmodean Prime

James Randi has an outstanding offer of a $1 million prize for anyone able to demonstrate any sort of paranormal abilities of any sort, under obervable conditions.  So far, nobody has made it past the preliminary screening...go figure. ;)
http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

MommaSquid

I don't believe in any of the things you listed.  

ESP and telekinesis would be cool powers to have.  And the ability to fly like Superman.

Jassman

Quote from: "Chris"James Randi has an outstanding offer of a $1 million prize for anyone able to demonstrate any sort of paranormal abilities of any sort, under obervable conditions.  So far, nobody has made it past the preliminary screening...go figure. ;)
http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

Ah... couldn't remember who it was. He was mentioned briefly on the Bullshit! episode taking on ESP.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Asmodean Prime

i'm not sure what i believe about these things you list, i dont know enough to make an informed decision.

there are certainly some very puzzling things though

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Jassman"Ah... couldn't remember who it was. He was mentioned briefly on the Bullshit! episode taking on ESP.

He has been a master debunker for many years.  He is also a magician, which is how Penn and he first got to know each other.

McQ

Quote from: "Chris"
Quote from: "Jassman"Ah... couldn't remember who it was. He was mentioned briefly on the Bullshit! episode taking on ESP.

He has been a master debunker for many years.  He is also a magician, which is how Penn and he first got to know each other.

Good thing he wasn't a fisherman for a living because then he would be a masterbaiter. (sorry, couldn't help myself!)

I have some great videos of Randi, some going back years. He's been a hero of mine ever since I saw him on the Tonight Show, with Johnny Carson. Back in olden times. :-)

Here's a link to a great Randi Multimedia page.

http://www.reitstoen.com/randi.php

There are also, on the same site, links to other Freethought multimedia folks, such as Richard Dawkins and Michael Shermer.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean Prime

Yes!!  that's where I first saw him!

Squid

I'm an atheist and a skeptic as well.  I have yet to see any credible evidence for such things as were listed.

Asmodean Prime

well, I have seen some strange things in my time. Don't know how to explain them though.  The jury's still out on that, in my opinion.  I've seen more than one ghost, though I don't believe in ghosts as such, as dead people returning to haunt mankind. I know what I saw, though.

I'm baffled and confused by what i've experienced, and will probably continue to be until I can maybe find out the answers someday.  I think, unless you have experienced such things, you are too ready to dismiss them as hallucinations, etc.  I wasnt on drugs at the time.  I know what I saw.  Maybe you too will encounter such things later in life, maybe when you least expect it.  Don't discount the possibility, that's all I'm saying.  you never know what lies around the next corner.  I am watching this space.

Squid

Quote from: "onlyme"I'm baffled and confused by what i've experienced, and will probably continue to be until I can maybe find out the answers someday.

...then...

QuoteI know what I saw.

Discontinuity in flow of thought?  Some people see things in clouds.  Some people interpret meteors as UFOs.  Some people claim to have talked with the dead.  People mostly provide subjective, anecdotal evidence which is notoriously unreliable, easily distorted and much is confabulated.  I remain skeptical.

Asmodean Prime

there is no contradiction, squid.

I know what I saw, I just don't know how to explain it in a rational, physical sense.  I saw things in my right state of mind.  What I saw, I can't explain in terms of normal things that happen on this earth.

You make a good point, though.

the things I'm referring to didn't happen in clouds, but in my living room.

If you want me to go into detail, please let me know.

Squid

Quote from: "onlyme"there is no contradiction, squid.

I know what I saw, I just don't know how to explain it in a rational, physical sense.  I saw things in my right state of mind.  What I saw, I can't explain in terms of normal things that happen on this earth.

So because you have no explanation it is automatically relegated to the realm of the supernatural?

When I was a child I thought I could change the radio station with my mind in my parent's car.  I couldn't explain it otherwise.  My father simply switched the station with a footswitch that came in the vehicle.

The skeptical approach does not automatically dismiss anything.  It relies upon objective evidence to find answers.  If people's personal stories were the major source of answers we'd be overwhelmed with bunk.

Asmodean Prime

yeah, squid, you had another, outside, physical agency to operate the footswitch, your father.  I didn't.

As I said before, watch this space....