News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Petition: Christian sheriff must stop persecuting atheist

Started by VietnamVet-BRIGHT, July 27, 2011, 10:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

Polk County FL -- An outspoken atheist, EllenBeth Wachs has been arrested on trumped-up bogus charges and jailed twice this year by an evangelical Christian Sheriff Grady Judd in retaliation for challenging Judd's illegal transfer and installation of tax-payer property (jail basketball goals) to area churches.

More info at our Change.org petition.  Please sign and promote:

http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-christian-sheriff-to-stop-persecuting-atheist

Medusa

I'm sorry. But Florida seriously needs to fall off the map. I hear more fucked up news coming out of Florida then anywhere else.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Medusa on July 28, 2011, 01:56:18 AM
I'm sorry. But Florida seriously needs to fall off the map. I hear more fucked up news coming out of Florida then anywhere else.

Really, I hear a ton of fucked up things coming out of California, Texas, District of Columbia, Louisiana, New Jersey and New York... "Fucked up" shit happens throughout the country and throughout the world.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Whitney

If there is a large Jewish community in Florida (have heard that there is but never know when it comes to perpetuated stereotypes) you might actually have success in reaching out to them for help in fighting religious persecution and illegal action performed by the government.  There are fewer of them than there are non-religious people yet they still get respect from the general population so their voice may turn the tides back towards reason.

Frankly, as unreal as the situation sounds you could probably rally up support from moderate and liberal Christian churches too. (a few Christians have even voiced support on the change petition)

Has the ACLU been consulted yet?  Can the FBI be brought in to investigate when the government is this out of line?

Medusa

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on July 28, 2011, 03:17:10 AM

Really, I hear a ton of fucked up things coming out of California, Texas, District of Columbia, Louisiana, New Jersey and New York... "Fucked up" shit happens throughout the country and throughout the world.
Of course it does. It just seems where I hear some of the Florida stuff, it seems to be some weird randomness like granny marries aligator or some such silly thing. Maybe it's because I seem to see the news on my lj comm WTF Inc, or here it off radio news programs with commentary from Tim Conway jr. They used to run a bit called Germany or Florida. They would regularly tell a news story and you had to decide where it came from because there was always something weird coming from those two particular places. That's all.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Medusa on July 28, 2011, 03:23:44 AM

Of course it does. It just seems where I hear some of the Florida stuff, it seems to be some weird randomness like granny marries aligator or some such silly thing. Maybe it's because I seem to see the news on my lj comm WTF Inc, or here it off radio news programs with commentary from Tim Conway jr. They used to run a bit called Germany or Florida. They would regularly tell a news story and you had to decide where it came from because there was always something weird coming from those two particular places. That's all.

No worries, It just annoys me when people signal out one particular state because of what's shown on the news. Regardless, that sounds like a fun game. I imagine it could be played with nearly any state in the Union though.  :)
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Medusa

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on July 28, 2011, 03:26:40 AM
Quote from: Medusa on July 28, 2011, 03:23:44 AM

No worries, It just annoys me when people signal out one particular state because of what's shown on the news. Regardless, that sounds like a fun game. I imagine it could be played with nearly any state in the Union though.  :)
Totally. Personally here we do the same. Every time we see a high speed chase on tv we try to figure out which city it's coming from. Usually ones in my area. Lol.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

What the frack is going on over there?

I thought there was a thing in the states called a constitution? Did they throw that out?
(I know they didn't. I'm just trying to make a point)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-