Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Keep religion out of schools

Started by Sweetdeath, July 27, 2011, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Abletony on July 27, 2011, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on July 27, 2011, 06:03:29 AM
It isn't child abuse, unless the children are raised by ultra-orthodox, fanatical weirdo's (<5% of the world population?). I grew up as a moderate Catholic and never regretted it. Sure some of their traditions and believes now look a bit silly in my eyes, but calling that kind of stuff child abuse is way over the top. Most Muslim families that I know raise their children as decent, moderate and caring people.

That's fair.

Sweetdeath's problem stems from the fact that her experiences of being around religious people is limited to say the least. Her xenophobia towards them is something which if she got over she would realise that her prejudices are based on fear.

Personal comments/observation of this nature are unacceptable on this forum.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Her xenophobia towards them is something which if she got over she would realise that her prejudices are based on fear.

It isn't civil to label someone xenophobic; especially when doing so when someone has already attempted to discuss with you.  She's already explained her position and you keep trying to force her into a box she doesn't fit in; that's why she quit bothering to respond to you.

Sweetdeath

It isn't child abuse, unless the children are raised by ultra-orthodox, fanatical weirdo's (<5% of the world population?). I grew up as a moderate Catholic and never regretted it. Sure some of their traditions and believes now look a bit silly in my eyes, but calling that kind of stuff child abuse is way over the top. Most Muslim families that I know raise their children as decent, moderate and caring people.

That's fair.

Sweetdeath's problem stems from the fact that her experiences of being around religious people is limited to say the least. Her xenophobia towards them is something which if she got over she would realise that her prejudices are based on fear.

Can you please stop talking about me when you don't know a single thing about me?   I would really appreciate if you didn't mention me in any of your posts, as i'm sure this is some form of harassment....

I really don't want to think of HAF as a hostile place.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

fester30

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 27, 2011, 03:36:45 PM

That's fair.

Can you please stop talking about me when you don't know a single thing about me?   I would really appreciate if you didn't mention me in any of your posts, as i'm sure this is some form of harassment....

That was a bit creepy.  Reminds me of a TV show where one character is talking to a second character about a third character.  Then the third character says, "Hello!!!!  I'm right here!!!  I can hear every word you are saying!"

Whitney

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 27, 2011, 03:36:45 PM

That's fair.

don't worry he's banned for a week and restricted when/if he returns.

Sweetdeath

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Medusa

That's fair. When someone doesn't understand or have experience with a certain culture they may come to conclusions that are based in mis information,fear and hearsay.

I've known a few non religious families that have beaten the living shit out of their kids. No God involved.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Tom62

Quote from: Medusa on July 28, 2011, 02:04:14 AM
That's fair. When someone doesn't understand or have experience with a certain culture they may come to conclusions that are based in mis information,fear and hearsay.

I've known a few non religious families that have beaten the living shit out of their kids. No God involved.

I fully agree with you. Fact is that we judge other people too quickly. Regarding, whether it is OK to teach religion at school, it fully depends on the teaching methods used. If religion is "rammed down the throats" of the kids, then I'm against it. If the kids learn that there are more than just one religion and that it is OK for other people to have a different believe (or non-believe) then it can be a good thing. We don't want to raise our children with fear, misinformation, hearsay or hate.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Evilbeagle

I don't agree with the forced teaching of religion in schools, doubly so as R.E. was specifically about the Christian religion when I was in school.

Although to be fair Noah was putting the 2nd coat of varnish on the Ark when I was at school.

Wouldn't it make more sense to encourage debates on consideration, acceptance of people's thoughts and general morality.

That way young people can look at the concepts involved and make their own decisions.
England expects every man to heed the old lie: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tom62 on July 28, 2011, 06:40:12 AM
Quote from: Medusa on July 28, 2011, 02:04:14 AM

I fully agree with you. Fact is that we judge other people too quickly. Regarding, whether it is OK to teach religion at school, it fully depends on the teaching methods used. If religion is "rammed down the throats" of the kids, then I'm against it. If the kids learn that there are more than just one religion and that it is OK for other people to have a different believe (or non-believe) then it can be a good thing. We don't want to raise our children with fear, misinformation, hearsay or hate.
I think teaching religion in school is fine ONLY, but only if it is taught as fiction, or a mythology, along side Greek and Norse.

The problem is, too many people strongly believe in such ridiculous tales like Noah's Ark, and Adam and Eve to be true, historical facts.

I really love Homer's Odyssey, but I know it didn't happen in real life.

roy1967

We have to be careful of ideas like removing religion from schools completely; some people would take that too far.  I think public schools should be no place to teach religious dogma, and should be restricted from doing so.  However, religion cannot be completely removed from school curriculum.  The various religions form the vast majority of world history, and without an understanding of their beliefs, students would have no idea why certain things have happened in the past.

I have no beef with religious schools.  If parents want their children to go to a church school, I won't stop them.  Generally there is an enormous tuition they have to pay, and if they wish to pay it, who cares?  The thing I have noticed with the Catholic high schools in our community is that they have overwhelmingly white student bodies.  I am happy, thankful and satisfied with my kid's public education.  They both attended an large urban high school, with a diverse population...... the very same diverse population they will have to deal with in real life.  I don't think you can get that in an exclusive religious high school.

By the way, my kids both attend a Catholic college, and neither are religious.  They love it, and do not feel pressured.  They have to take a few courses on religion, but they knew that going in.  I think they are better for it.
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Evilbeagle

I haven't got a problem with schools teaching religion, what i DO have a big problem with is enforced teaching of religion.

When I was at school R.E was a mandatory subject.
England expects every man to heed the old lie: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

fester30

I don't have a problem with schools teaching religion, either, in the way my high school did.  They offered a mythology class.  A person was not forced to take that class.  It was one way of fulfilling a requirement, and there were several other classes available for this.  They taught mainly Greek and Roman mythology, but also branched out a little into a couple other ancients, such as Egyptian and Sumerian.  They were very careful not to include references to any mythology that might still be a religion, such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc.  They managed not to show the connections between Sumerian, Egyptian, and Judiasm.  The mythologies they taught are commonly thought of as dead religions.  I would have no problem including even the modern religions if taught from the perspective of mythology.

Medusa

The actual truth is this. Our schools can barely handle the three R's let alone adding religion as a class. Most schools cut back on all arts classes as it is. And also..most religious schools seem to do better academically then public schools. I am assuming it's the money and the student to teacher ratio. I just want my kid (when I adopt one) to learn to read and write and add in class. Anything else I can teach at home.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Black36

Since atheism led to the slaughter of MILLIONS in the 20th century, maybe atheism should stay out of the schools as well, no?