News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Al-Jazeera

Started by roy1967, July 24, 2011, 03:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roy1967

I have heard that Al-Jazeera is a very good news source, and has a good reputation for getting things right.

American news media sources make me want to retch, and I have recently been getting my news from the BBC.

Is anyone here familiar with Al-Jazeera?

And the big question: If a person tunes in to A-J does the US government take notice?  What are the chances I will end up on a watch list for visiting their website?

Anyone?
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

The Magic Pudding

I get most of my news from the ABC which is our equivalent of the BBC.
I don't often listen to commercial TV or radio news, it's usually crap.
Commercial radio has become part of the news lately, a particularly annoying radio shock jock has been promoting a tour of Lord Christopher Monckton.  The good lord says we don't to have worry about climate change, those that say we do are fascists apparently.

QuoteLord Christopher Monckton [from interview]: And then, 18 months ago, I cured myself with an invention which shows much promise where curing people of everything from HIV to malaria to multiple sclerosis. I mean, quite extraordinary.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/backgroundbriefing/stories/2011/3268730.htm#transcript

So this buffoon is paraded as the expert at public gatherings, a hatred for credible  media sources and scientists is fuelled.  I'm finding it worrying, media didn't used to be as diverse, it seemed to be aimed at a more general public.  Now some clever entrepreneurs see a lucrative niche in feeding the resentful on bullshit and hate.  Is this how fascist revolutions start?

Will

Quote from: roy1967 on July 24, 2011, 03:56:29 AMIs anyone here familiar with Al-Jazeera?
I am! AJ is my go-to media source for international news, before BBC or even Deutsche Welle. It's available online, streaming.
Quote from: roy1967 on July 24, 2011, 03:56:29 AMAnd the big question: If a person tunes in to A-J does the US government take notice?  What are the chances I will end up on a watch list for visiting their website?
I doubt anyone can answer this for sure, but you'll be hiding among very large numbers. A lot of Americans watch Al Jazeera. I've not been prevented from flying or anything.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Abletony

Russia Today is good.

Tank

Quote from: Abletony on July 24, 2011, 05:27:20 PM
Russia Today is good.
I agree. I watch it occasionally.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Medusa

They do alot of reports to NPR radio. I try to stick to getting my global news from them on a whole. I do, upon occasion, flip to Fox News. Just to freak myself out when I get too complacent.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...