News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Atheists and Christmas

Started by rlrose328, September 28, 2007, 05:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

I know it's a hot topic between Christians and atheists, but I had a weird thing happen today with a Christian mom at my son's school.  The woman is a total busy-body... has to volunteer for everything, makes a point of constantly mentioning they are in the midst of adopting from Ethiopia, etc.

Anyway, she asks to speak to me privately during carline.  She said, "For the November field trip, the kids are going to go see "A Christmas Carol" at the children's theater... are you okay with that?"

I'm like, "Um, sure... why wouldn't I be?"

Her:  "Well, the Christmas thing..." she trailed off.

Me:  "I celebrate Christmas, just not in the same way you do... I'm totally okay with the kids going to see a show based on a classic novel."

Her:  "Well, I just needed to ask since it's a Christian play [??] and Tiny Tim says that bible verse at the end."

Me:  "Bible Verse?  You mean, 'God bless us, everyone.'"?

Her:  "Yes... I just wanted to make sure you're okay with that."

Me:  "Sure, I'm totally okay with it... but since it's a 'Christian' play, you'd better check with the Jewish family."  (Totally sarcastic, but she totally missed it.)

Her:  "Oh I will... they're next on my list."

Does the ignorance of this exchange just make your eyes pop out?   :?  :roll:  :lol:     That story is one of my all-time favorite stories... and I love all of the movies based on it as well.

I have to call the Jewish family tomorrow, see if they gave the field trip their blessing.   :lol:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

tigerlily46514

wow.....wow......

wow...

Those "christians" and their ghosts......Hey, would the Excorcist be a christian flick then?

Is that "God bless us, everyone" in the bible??  I think that would be Dickens?
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

rlrose328

No, it's not a bible verse... just illustrates her stupidity.  She figures since I'm an atheist, I will believe her when she says that's a bible verse because, duh, I won't know any better.  :o
**Kerri**

Tom62

Somehow, I find it kind of neat that she'd asked you. After all the play has everything to do with Christmas, a topic that some (more militant) atheists have sincere problems with. Anyway, I've always loved a good  ghost or horror story. The scarier, the better.  I'd seen "The Excorsist" when I was 14 years old. Apart from the silly, fake scene where Linda Blair turns her head around, I found the film rather boring. BTW I've always wondered why the american public seems to react much stronger on scary movie-scenes than the european public. When "The Excorsist" was released in 1973 we found it extremely silly that the film caused such mass hysteria in the USA, with people screaming, fainting and paramedics being called to theaters.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

rlrose328

It's all religion, Tom... the majority of us are brainwashed early that anything unrighteous and non-divine is evil, and everything about that movie is evil.  They can't laugh at something they've been trained to view as a threat to their eternal salvation.

I saw it recently (never saw it before not) and I was bored out of my goard.

I guess I found it strange that she asked me because I've participated in everything Christmas season-related the past two years at the school, there should have been no question that I'd have no problem.  I'm NOT a militant atheist (vocal, yes... insisting they cover the religious bulletin boards during school hours, yes) and I've always been accepting of the beliefs of the families there, even attending their prayer meeting.  WHY would I have a problem?  It was singling me out as a potential threat that bothered me.

But I chalked it up to the person who asked... she has made a point of my non-belief before, as a means of making me "different."
**Kerri**

Will

Todays reading is from the book of Dickens, chapter 12, verse 3.... "And the Lord spaketh upon the idiots, "Dude, you guys totally aren't reading my book and you're misquoting it. I never said "God bless us every one". You suck. I'll be at the bar." This is the word of our Lord.

BTW, Christmas Carol has ghosts, something against Christianity, and it's moral, something against a lot of the Bible. I love Christmas Carol.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tom62

I now understand better why you find the behaviour of that christian lady so strange. As a matter of fact you are "different", because you no longer believe in their superstious nonsense.

QuoteIt's all religion, Tom... the majority of us are brainwashed early that anything unrighteous and non-divine is evil, and everything about that movie is evil.

How can you claim this film is NOT evil  :wink:? Christian evangelist Billy Graham claimed an actual demon was living in the celluloid reels of this movie. There are tales about ominous events surrounding the year-long shoot, including the deaths of nine people associated with the production and stories about a mysterious fire that destroyed the set one weekend.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

rlrose328

Quote from: "Willravel"Todays reading is from the book of Dickens, chapter 12, verse 3.... "And the Lord spaketh upon the idiots, "Dude, you guys totally aren't reading my book and you're misquoting it. I never said "God bless us every one". You suck. I'll be at the bar." This is the word of our Lord.

Shit... I can't breathe!   :lol:   This was funnier than LOLCats!
**Kerri**

Steve Reason

Sounds like she was just jerking your chain. As someone who knows that religion is a crock, I don't get too peeved when a religionist tries to get my goat, because I know they're just another human that doesn't have an imaginary spirit controlling what they say. So in other words, it doesn't surprise me when someone like that says something that doesn't exactly fit their faith, because they're just as human (and hateful) as anyone else. And I've jerked a few chains in my day-- so I can't talk.  :D

And I don't have a problem with Christmas. I don't see any reason to stop celebrating it. To me it's always been about giving to someone just because you love them-- just like the story of Jesus giving his life because of his love for mankind. That's one concept of Christianity I can embrace-- selflessness for the betterment of your fellow beings.

Plus I love Christmas movies and the like. I think the fantastical, mystical themes of Christmas movies and such are what drew me to religion as a young boy. Just because I now believe it to be a crock, doesn't mean I can't allow myself to have fun with it. Hell, I haven't believed in Santa for close to 40 years. Entertainment and feeling good are the only reasons I need. I'm not trying to be the biggest, badass atheist person on the block.  :o
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

rlrose328

Oh Christmas movies are one of our biggest traditions, from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" to "Christmas Vacation" and the various Claus(e) movies... now we've added "Robby the Reindeer" to our cabal of movies, it's a veritable fest!
**Kerri**

Churchworker

Quote from: "rlrose328"Oh Christmas movies are one of our biggest traditions, from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" to "Christmas Vacation" and the various Claus(e) movies... now we've added "Robby the Reindeer" to our cabal of movies, it's a veritable fest!
Her: "Well, I just needed to ask since it's a Christian play [??] and Tiny Tim says that bible verse at the end."

Me: "Bible Verse? You mean, 'God bless us, everyone.'"?

Her: "Yes... I just wanted to make sure you're okay with that."

It is obvious that woman was sent by Satan to mislead people away from God as she is a false prophet sent by the Devil.

McQ

Christmas movies can be a lot of fun. You have all the great ones like, "A Christmas Story" , The Grinch, and "Die Hard". How can you not like that?

Unless of course, they are all just lead by false prophets and the Devil...  :roll:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

rlrose328

Quote from: "Churchworker"It is obvious that woman was sent by Satan to mislead people away from God as she is a false prophet sent by the Devil.

Well yes... that's what a number of us at the school think... I'm glad to know a Christian feels that way as well.   :roll:
**Kerri**

Jeremiah

Quote from: "rlrose328"I know it's a hot topic between Christians and atheists, but I had a weird thing happen today with a Christian mom at my son's school.  The woman is a total busy-body... has to volunteer for everything, makes a point of constantly mentioning they are in the midst of adopting from Ethiopia, etc.

Anyway, she asks to speak to me privately during carline.  She said, "For the November field trip, the kids are going to go see "A Christmas Carol" at the children's theater... are you okay with that?"

I'm like, "Um, sure... why wouldn't I be?"

Her:  "Well, the Christmas thing..." she trailed off.

Me:  "I celebrate Christmas, just not in the same way you do... I'm totally okay with the kids going to see a show based on a classic novel."

Her:  "Well, I just needed to ask since it's a Christian play [??] and Tiny Tim says that bible verse at the end."

Me:  "Bible Verse?  You mean, 'God bless us, everyone.'"?

Her:  "Yes... I just wanted to make sure you're okay with that."

Me:  "Sure, I'm totally okay with it... but since it's a 'Christian' play, you'd better check with the Jewish family."  (Totally sarcastic, but she totally missed it.)

Her:  "Oh I will... they're next on my list."

Does the ignorance of this exchange just make your eyes pop out?   :?  :roll:  :lol:     That story is one of my all-time favorite stories... and I love all of the movies based on it as well.

I have to call the Jewish family tomorrow, see if they gave the field trip their blessing.   :lol:

I may be missing some facets of the experience here but it sounds to me that she was just trying to be respectful of any possible dismay religious context may have caused you. She may have not displayed dazzling wit but from the evidence you presented she did seemed to display thoughtfulness uncommon to most. Perhaps it is this rare trait that throws you at odds with her. I know if I were encountered in such a way I too would be put at odds. However I honestly much rather encounter the rare thoughtful individual than the brilliant one.

Of course I am just wildly speculating but really unless you have known someone for a number of years within a deep personal relationship all you really can do is wildly speculate.

rlrose328

Quote from: "Jeremiah"I may be missing some facets of the experience here but it sounds to me that she was just trying to be respectful of any possible dismay religious context may have caused you. She may have not displayed dazzling wit but from the evidence you presented she did seemed to display thoughtfulness uncommon to most. Perhaps it is this rare trait that throws you at odds with her. I know if I were encountered in such a way I too would be put at odds. However I honestly much rather encounter the rare thoughtful individual than the brilliant one.

Of course I am just wildly speculating but really unless you have known someone for a number of years within a deep personal relationship all you really can do is wildly speculate.

No, you're not missing anything and in hindsight, it seems totally innocent and respectful.  It's just that I never make a point of picking out religious stuff to complain about so I was wondering why she felt the need to even ASK me.  It IS very thoughtful of her to do so... yes, of course.  But I don't think it even needed to be asked at all... and I feel she knows me enough to know better.  That's all.

And she annoys the bejesus out of me... but other than that.   :lol:
**Kerri**