News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Sun and Planets Constructed Differently Than Thought, NASA Mission Suggests

Started by Tank, June 26, 2011, 06:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Sun and Planets Constructed Differently Than Thought, NASA Mission Suggests

ScienceDaily (June 24, 2011) — Researchers analyzing samples returned by NASA's 2004 Genesis mission have discovered that our sun and its inner planets may have formed differently than previously thought.

Data revealed differences between the sun and planets in oxygen and nitrogen, which are two of the most abundant elements in our solar system. Although the difference is slight, the implications could help determine how our solar system evolved.

"We found that Earth, the moon, as well as Martian and other meteorites which are samples of asteroids, have a lower concentration of the O-16 than does the sun," said Kevin McKeegan, a Genesis co-investigator from UCLA, and the lead author of one of two Science papers published this week. "The implication is that we did not form out of the same solar nebula materials that created the sun -- just how and why remains to be discovered."

This will get some heads scratched!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

kelltrill

NASA is constantly finding things which challenge traditional views of planetary and stellar evolution. I think that these discoveries have less to do with "challenging" set notions so much as defining and redefining opinions and theories. At least I hope so. Judging from this article it seems like this is the case.

It's great how often you'll see scientists reconsider their approaches, but you'll never hear a religious person make similar statements about their own beliefs, regardless of any available evidence.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

Tank

Quote from: kelltrill on June 27, 2011, 11:25:33 AM
NASA is constantly finding things which challenge traditional views of planetary and stellar evolution. I think that these discoveries have less to do with "challenging" set notions so much as defining and redefining opinions and theories. At least I hope so. Judging from this article it seems like this is the case.

It's great how often you'll see scientists reconsider their approaches, but you'll never hear a religious person make similar statements about their own beliefs, regardless of any available evidence.
I agree. Science refines knowledge, religion defies knowledge.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

kelltrill

"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."