News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Hi, not Atheist

Started by bicycle, June 24, 2011, 10:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bicycle

Hi I just wanna know what the advantage is to not believing in God, I personally feel that this way of thinking is pointless.

bicycle

If you want to know about myself, I would say I'm a young man, have been raised in a semi religious environment my whole life and have taken a couple philosophy classes. Atheism is appealing to me in the fact that it is a reaction to former beliefs...It was created because of a belief in God.

bicycle

This board seems very boring I hope people can enlighten me or maybe just respond, no one likes being shunned lol

Recusant

Quote from: bicycle on June 24, 2011, 10:55:33 PM
Hi I just wanna know what the advantage is to not believing in God, I personally feel that this way of thinking is pointless.

What way of thinking are you talking about?

Quote from: bicycle on June 24, 2011, 11:38:31 PM
This board seems very boring I hope people can enlighten me or maybe just respond, no one likes being shunned lol

Nobody is shunning you, but this is a small place and usually not very fast moving. 
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

bicycle

The way of thinking that there is no God, you know? To me it only depends on what you believe God is, or what existence is, in order to conclude that 'God does not exist'

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

Firstly...define "god".

(I think this discussion would have to wait until you reach 50 posts, though but looks like you're almost there.)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

bicycle

lol great some interaction, well, tbh to define god would be as hard to do as defining yourself, if I had to do it with words I guess I would say the reason behind the madness or the ultimate perspective but in my case I don't think I could possibly be fully accurate some people say god is love but I jsut don't find that to be adequate, how do you define no God?

DeterminedJuliet

Define "pointless".
I have plenty of things in my life that have a "point". I love my husband and my son, I love helping people and I work with animals for a living. I love the sensations of moving and breathing and enjoying nature. I love my memories and my plans for the future.
I'm at peace with dying and ceasing to be.
I'm not afraid of hell, or the devil, or some kind of eternal punishment.
I don't feel threatened by ideas that challenge me.

Sounds like some great "points" right there, to me. :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Recusant

Quote from: bicycle on June 24, 2011, 11:47:22 PM
The way of thinking that there is no God, you know? To me it only depends on what you believe God is, or what existence is, in order to conclude that 'God does not exist'

So if not believing in a god is pointless, is believing in a god also pointless?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

bicycle

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 24, 2011, 11:55:08 PM
Define "pointless".
I have plenty of things in my life that have a "point". I love my husband and my son, I love helping people and I work with animals for a living. I love the sensations of moving and breathing and enjoying nature. I love my memories and my plans for the future.
I'm at peace with dying and ceasing to be.
I'm not afraid of hell, or the devil, or some kind of eternal punishment.
I don't feel threatened by ideas that challenge me.

Sounds like some great "points" right there, to me. :)

pointless: to have no sense, use, or purpose. I did not mean to say you cannot find meaning in your life.

bicycle

Quote from: Recusant on June 24, 2011, 11:58:03 PM
Quote from: bicycle on June 24, 2011, 11:47:22 PM

So if not believing in a god is pointless, is believing in a god also pointless?

In my opinion no, it would be similar to believing in yourself, or in others.

bicycle

If the idea of God exists, why would people deny it?, even if it is not physically existing, neither is my plans for the future, but I still believe in them. Do you believe ideas can be destroyed?

Jabbles

Welcome,
I won't get into too deep a discussion as this is not the preoper section for it. I will say that the "point" for me is to enjoy life, not worry about what happens to me or my "soul" after I die.
See you in the big boy boards after we reach 50.

bicycle

Quote from: Jabbles on June 25, 2011, 12:13:22 AM
Welcome,
I won't get into too deep a discussion as this is not the preoper section for it. I will say that the "point" for me is to enjoy life, not worry about what happens to me or my "soul" after I die.
See you in the big boy boards after we reach 50.

lol it's gonna take forever to get to 50...

bicycle

might as well just post a bunch of crap