News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Christian Theater petition about Kathy Griffin

Started by rlrose328, September 20, 2007, 07:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

The Miracle Theater in Pigeon Forge, TN, is circulating an online petition to speak out in defense of Jesus, claiming Kathy Griffin's Emmy acceptance speech "slandering" their god.

Linkage: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070920/ap_ ... jKbS8E1vAI

I'm amused (and saddened) by the to-do over Kathy Griffin's speach.  It was a calculated move on her part, one she was looking forward to doing if she won.  It was meant to garner her as much attention as possible, she admitted as much to Larry King.

But this group now has this petition which they plan to present to the media when it has enough signatures (what a waste of paper!) and the Catholic League called on the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences to "denounce Griffin's obscene and blasphemous comment."  They don't seem to realize that Griffin can say whatever the hell she wants to say?  It doesn't hurt them at all!

And this theater spent over $90,000 on a full-page ad speaking out against Griffin... I guess that's a good way to spend almost $100,000... I'm guess all of the charities in the country must have refused the donation because they don't need the money.

I've seen people in the media saying she should be fined and/or jailed for what she said.  And then in the same breath, they'll say this isn't now nor do they want the country to be a theocracy.  Actions speak louder than words.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

donkeyhoty

Nobody fucks with the Jesus!
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

pjkeeley

If I were a celebrity accepting an award I'd thank evolution.  8)

Will

I would have taken the $90k and bought a Porsche.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Eclecticsaturn

ya this speach was funny but that article is ridiculas. these freakin religious people need to get a life. Donate there money to places that could benifit from. Not tyth to waste that money on petitions. screw that. grrrrr

LSchune

I'll stand by Kathy until the world ends.  I love that fucking show of hers.

90k for a protesting piece of paper?  I'd buy my Jetta and have enough change left over for that Cabo vacation I've been wanting.
Steve, I am going to fucking kick your ass when I can find it.

"I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
Rebecca West

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Wh

rlrose328

Us too, LSchune... we're not the biggest fans of Kathy and her show.  We've actually never watched it.  But we loved "Suddenly Susan" and we love her stance on religion.  She's a keeper.
**Kerri**

tigerlily46514

oh wow, Rose, that is incredible!

wow, what a waste of funds!!!!!

I wonder if any atheist or free speech group could get an equally large petition .....hopefully, it wouldn't be needed, hopefully someone will realize this is dumb.  But i wonder if there are enough of us to sign up and count on anything like that...
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

Steve Reason

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"Nobody fucks with the Jesus!

I'm not sure what that means (must be from the speech I guess), but it sure is funny!  :lol:

I've been through Pigeon Forge; it sure is something. I'm sure Jesus would approve.  :roll:

But hey, if it involves Dolly, then I'm all for it. I'm pretty sure I'd still hit that.  :D
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Steve Reason

I love this quote from the theatre's GM: "It's just not OK anymore to mock Christians and Jesus with impunity."

WRONG! OK is exactly what it is. We don't mock it enough.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

rlrose328

When they (Christians in general) decide to stop discriminating with impunity, we'll think about not mocking them.  Fair is fair.
**Kerri**

McQ

I'm a very "live and let live" guy, but let's face it. The best way to mock anything is with impunity! Go Kathy!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Steve Reason"I'm not sure what that means (must be from the speech I guess), but it sure is funny
Evidently you've never seen The Big Lebowski
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

susangail

Okay so religious people can thank God or Jesus or whoever they worship but Kathy can't say that she won't thank Jesus? I can see how Christians can be offended by her speech but they're taking it way too far! We as atheists get 'offended' all the time. Could we go as far to say that their Jesus speeches offend us? But if they do, you don't see us trying to get the speeches censored and what not, spending countless amounts of money in the process.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.