News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 25, 2020, 06:28:31 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 25, 2020, 04:18:29 AM

That was caught at a good time. I see a faint suggestion of the second rainbow to the left.

It's in the nature of rainbows that good pictures of them are often serendipitous.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 25, 2020, 06:28:31 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 25, 2020, 04:18:29 AM

That was caught at a good time. I see a faint suggestion of the second rainbow to the left.

I was wondering if you would pick up on that. There was actually a perfect double rainbow but I couldn't hope to get both in frame. We chased it for half an hour before finding a good spot for a photo.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on April 25, 2020, 07:08:01 AM
It's in the nature of rainbows that good pictures of them are often serendipitous.

That's so true. Here is one I saw and was lucky enough to have the camera handy to grab the shot. It only lasted a short while.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 25, 2020, 03:01:06 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 25, 2020, 07:08:01 AM

That's so true. Here is one I saw and was lucky enough to have the camera handy to grab the shot. It only lasted a short while.

Love this one.

No one

Would one get two pots of gold, or do they cancel each other out?

Dark Lightning

Alexander's Dark Band (the region between the two rainbows) shields the gold. A couple interesting facts about rainbows. Note that the secondary rainbow has the colors reversed compared to the primary rainbow. If you fly directly over a rainbow, it is a circle. It's very cool to see!

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/photos/10-stunning-images-of-rainbows-and-their-less-famous-cousins/10-stunning-images-of-rainbows-and-their-less-famous-cousins-4

billy rubin

i saw a fogbow once.

where i lived in coastal california had heavyu but shallow fog every morning. one morning the fog was very thick but the bright light shining through it on the water vaporcaused a snow white arch to appear north of me, illuminated from the souith. the arch wasn't semicircular. it was a parabola

unlike a rainbow that appears in the the middle distance, it appeare to be only twenty five or thirty feet away, and no higher than fifteen or twenty feet. mostly it was just a ghostly arch of whiter fog in the general fog. i seem to remember seeing waves of fog flow through it, become illuminated while inside, and then darken as they  passed through no colors.

very strange. ive speculated for yars on why it appeared close, and why the shape was narrower. air density and 100-plus percent humidity had something to do with it im sure

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one

billy rubin

no, just pigshit and orange peels that washed in from the hoglot to the south whenever it flooded.

No one

billy rubin

well, my wife is running for congress . if she wins maybe it will improve.

ohios 6th district. zhes the democratic candidate on the ballot this november

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on April 26, 2020, 12:24:43 AM
well, my wife is running for congress . if she wins maybe it will improve.

ohios 6th district. zhes the democratic candidate on the ballot this november
That is so cool!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 25, 2020, 09:01:50 PM
Alexander's Dark Band (the region between the two rainbows) shields the gold. A couple interesting facts about rainbows. Note that the secondary rainbow has the colors reversed compared to the primary rainbow. If you fly directly over a rainbow, it is a circle. It's very cool to see!

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/photos/10-stunning-images-of-rainbows-and-their-less-famous-cousins/10-stunning-images-of-rainbows-and-their-less-famous-cousins-4

That pretty circular effect is quite common and I have seen it many times on daytime flights.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

I too did an photography last Wednesday, about the time I re-realised that all in all, I have a very cool job.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.