News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 28, 2019, 05:42:57 AM

you know, thata's seriously cool.

this reminds me of the style of some of the fine art mobiles of the niddle of the 20th century

set the function, not the mechanism.

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on November 09, 2019, 10:11:56 PM

this reminds me of the style of some of the fine art mobiles of the niddle of the 20th century

I was thinking about this the other day. I bet some Damascus plates would be really cool for this. If I had the time I would fire up my forge and have a go at it.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on November 09, 2019, 10:11:56 PM

Thank you. You are of course correct: it is shamelessly in the style of Alexander Calder, who invented mobiles of this type.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on November 10, 2019, 02:39:18 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. I bet some Damascus plates would be really cool for this. If I had the time I would fire up my forge and have a go at it.

I have a few hundred of those elliptical profiles lying in a corner of the factory. It would be a shame to send them to the recycling company, so I would be grateful if you could suggest some uses for them.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Aluminum? With a Good polish and clearcoat you could make some interesting segmented mirrors. Do you have access to a tig welder?

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on November 10, 2019, 04:42:00 AM
Aluminum? With a Good polish and clearcoat you could make some interesting segmented mirrors. Do you have access to a tig welder?

Yes, we have some skilled tig welders, but this is not solid material. It's a core of polymeric material with very thin metal skins on both sides. It's used for cladding buildings and for signs.
― Charles Eames

Tank

If you wanted a big display you could drill a hole by the edge of the long axis and mount them on hooks on a matrix or pattern, say a tree, and let the wind move them. You could leave them plain or colour them to suit.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 10, 2019, 05:38:11 AM

Yes, we have some skilled tig welders, but this is not solid material. It's a core of polymeric material with very thin metal skins on both sides. It's used for cladding buildings and for signs.

In that case a polish is probably out of the question. Will they take a texture, like a light hammering or does the core delaminate? There are some very effective glues and epoxies on the market which could be used for mounting them in various ways.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on November 10, 2019, 12:44:55 PM

In that case a polish is probably out of the question. Will they take a texture, like a light hammering or does the core delaminate? There are some very effective glues and epoxies on the market which could be used for mounting them in various ways.

Quote from: jumbojak on November 10, 2019, 12:44:55 PM

I think the metal skin is only about 0.5mm thick, so not very robust to hammering. During assembly they use some specialized epoxies, so I have access to those. To be honest, I am not very inspired to spend too much time on this, because I am working on some other ideas at the moment. There are so many other shapes of off-cuts of stainless steel and solid aluminium available, that I think I should rather try to use some of those. I have an idea for a lifesize stainless steel poolside sculpture for my daughter's house, but the factory is very busy at the moment and I can't schedule time on the CNC to cut the profiles I need. I am not able to operate it on my own over the weekend. This a rendering of my idea.

― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I'm sure you could run the CNC. Sit in with the operator for a shift and read through the manual.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on November 10, 2019, 02:06:14 PM
I'm sure you could run the CNC. Sit in with the operator for a shift and read through the manual.

I'll see whether I can pluck up the courage. It is pretty intimidating with its 4 meter bed size. I think I'll just give the operator the files for the profiles when things calm down a bit!
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 10, 2019, 02:22:25 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on November 10, 2019, 02:06:14 PM

I'll see whether I can pluck up the courage. It is pretty intimidating with its 4 meter bed size. I think I'll just give the operator the files for the profiles when things calm down a bit!

Do it! You'll learn something new and the size doesn't need to intimidate you. You're a smart guy. With a little guidance you'd be up and running in no time.