News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I'm going to try HDR. Maybe tonight if I make it to my location in time without getting waylaid. I assume it would only work if you were stationary though? That sunset was taken on a moving boat.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2018, 06:54:08 PM
I'm going to try HDR. Maybe tonight if I make it to my location in time without getting waylaid. I assume it would only work if you were stationary though? That sunset was taken on a moving boat.

Still is better. But you can get your camera to 'auto bracket' the exposure and then you'll get 3 frames in very quick succession.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on August 29, 2018, 07:06:36 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2018, 06:54:08 PM

Still is better. But you can get your camera to 'auto bracket' the exposure and then you'll get 3 frames in very quick succession.

Yes, that's what I do. The bracketing is better if you use Aperture Priority mode, so that the camera takes the (usually at least 3) bracketed shots at constant aperture and different shutter speeds. This is to ensure constant depth of field in all the shots. It is recommended to use a tripod, but with rapid autobracketing it is not essential. The software has the ability to try and align slightly misaligned objects.

The software can also handle NEF files.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I forgot to mention that it is possible to get some very surreal effects that, in the wrong hands, can result in really awful photos. But, if that is your artistic intention, then I think it is OK. The first picture on this page is an example I hate.

https://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/hdr-photography-tutorial-how-to-take-hdr-photos/

It shows the white halos that result from overdoing the effect.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Bluenose

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

Yep, the old right time, right place.  That lighting only lasted a few minutes, I quickly took this one with the phone, by the time I had gotten my DSLR out of the camper van the light had gone.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

That's a nice photo. There are two very brief magic times: early morning and late afternoon. I struggle to take interesting shots when the sun is higher in the sky.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 31, 2018, 02:50:42 PM
That's a nice photo. There are two very brief magic times: early morning and late afternoon. I struggle to take interesting shots when the sun is higher in the sky.

It is similar to the "dramatic" chiaroscuro lighting, that heavy contrast. Always gets my attention and, as has been said, getting that right moment when the camera is at hand is either luck or determined patience!

I had some interesting low sun, grey sky and seagulls type images but could never compose it at the right time above the houses. There is obviously a hot spot creating a thermal where the gulls get lift a couple of streets over, but never when the sun/sky conditions are right!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Continuing the coastal theme. This is the Cape Recife lighthouse near Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

― Charles Eames

Dave

You certainly seem to have some mixed up geology round there, BP!

Any rock that is not "native" to the area it is found in is called an "erratic" by geologists. On one paleotonlogical/archaeological cave dig I worked on the director insisted on calling such out-of-place rocks "exotics".

We diggers compromised by calling them errotics.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on September 02, 2018, 12:17:16 PM

Any rock that is not "native" to the area it is found in is called an "erratic" by geologists. On one paleotonlogical/archaeological cave dig I worked on the director insisted on calling such out-of-place rocks "exotics".

http://www.pmhc.nsw.gov.au/Facilities-Recreation/Outdoor-Spaces/Coastal-Walk-geotrail

I'm not sure how relevant that is to the small stones, are they local or have they travelled?
Down a river, up and down the coast?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 02, 2018, 12:28:29 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 02, 2018, 12:17:16 PM

http://www.pmhc.nsw.gov.au/Facilities-Recreation/Outdoor-Spaces/Coastal-Walk-geotrail

I'm not sure how relevant that is to the small stones, are they local or have they travelled?
Down a river, up and down the coast?

"Erratics" czn be zny size and sny grology - just not where thry belong! That cave was in linestone and we found flint, it was on the sude of a glsvial valley and the fun bit was to decide whether the glint came from human occupation or the stuff dragged along the side of the glacier. Dating was done from bones etc, but even then it was sll bett-guess work. We dud find a vouple of worked flint cores.

I have see it said the Uluru is a giant erratic, but later articles say it is eroded sandstone from ancient run off fans - though that does mean it is rock from another place in effect. It was not transported as a seperate unit perhaps.