News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 24, 2018, 07:09:28 PM
Actually it's burning superfine steel wool stuffed in a wire whisk on a short length of chain.

And its pretty effective!

Did you fluff it out a bit or leave it as it comes?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I fluffed the wool a bit on the "fuse" end of the whisk. Not too much or it shoots out like a meteor though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

That is impressive. I guess you left the shutter open for at least 30 seconds?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 25, 2018, 04:57:37 AM
That is impressive. I guess you left the shutter open for at least 30 seconds?

Thirtyseconds on the dot.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Taken on 25th August 2018 using an iPhone 5c and a 10" Newtonian reflecting telescope at the Kielder observatory

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

jumbojak

Tank

jumbojak

I question now whether I should have centered the sun or left it to the side like I did. Looks a bit bleak over to the right.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2018, 03:00:15 PM
I question now whether I should have centered the sun or left it to the side like I did. Looks a bit bleak over to the right.

Do both in the future. The 'rule of thirds' works very well for sunsets. The exposure and colour of the Sun are what makes this picture IMO so I like it.

Tank

I would say that with the horizon so prominent in this it either has to be dead level OR well out of whack for effect. The very slight off kilter on this is a tiny bit off putting. But I wouldn't let that put you off showing it.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2018, 03:00:15 PM

That decision is entirely yours, but it looks good to me. One thing I suggested before is that you could try to do three shots at different exposures and combine into an HDR. I couldn't find an example including the sun in my collection, but here is an example I did using only two photos. This example is very subtle, but I believe there is better definition in the clouds, the rocks, and the foreground.

Underexposed by one stop (1/400 second at ISO 200).

Normally exposed (1/200 second at ISO 200).

HDR blend using Photomatix.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

^

Wow! The change in tonal character in the final print is quite dramatic, Hermes!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 29, 2018, 04:29:28 PM
^

Wow! The change in tonal character in the final print is quite dramatic, Hermes!

Thanks, Dave. That's why I am convinced that a sunset shot will benefit from this technique. I will try to take some, but our skies are cloudless in winter.
― Charles Eames