News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Considering the crap, the slow, useless crap, that Windows 10 Photo Viewer is and seeing the price of the one you linked, Hermes, I looked around.

Found a free photo viewer for W10 that also lists all the meta data about the picture and has some bells and whistles.

download.cnet.com/Free-Photo-Viewer/3000-18488_4-10808200.html

Oh, the pictures are from the 2014 Crucible art exhibish at Gloucester Cathedral.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on May 07, 2018, 03:19:36 PM
Considering the crap, the slow, useless crap, that Windows 10 Photo Viewer is and seeing the price of the one you linked, Hermes, I looked around.

Found a free photo viewer for W10 that also lists all the meta data about the picture and has some bells and whistles.

Oh, the pictures are from the 2014 Crucible art exhibish at Gloucester Cathedral.

The picture viewer I recommended was XnView, which has always been free. If they now have a paid version, it's news to me. I will look at the one you mention above.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I just had a look at the XnView site. Those prices only apply if it is to be used in a company. It is still free for private use, so you can give it a try as well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2018, 03:56:51 PM

I just had a look at the XnView site. Those prices only apply if it is to be used in a company. It is still free for private use, so you can give it a try as well.

I never spotted that! Just saw the big box fulla prices.

hermes2015

I've downloaded Free Photo Viewer, but I find that it lacks most of the very useful editing features of XnView, and it does not have the convenient right-click menus of XnView. I think I will still stick with my earlier recommendation.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2018, 04:11:12 PM
I've downloaded Free Photo Viewer, but I find that it lacks most of the very useful editing features of XnView, and it does not have the convenient right-click menus of XnView. I think I will still stick with my earlier recommendation.

Will take another look at XnView.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on May 07, 2018, 04:19:21 PM

Yes, I think you will like it. What's nice is that you can double-click on a photo and then get access to a lot of editing operations like cropping.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2018, 04:25:23 PM

Yes, I think you will like it. What's nice is that you can double-click on a photo and then get access to a lot of editing operations like cropping.

Yesh, I noticed that cropping was missing, to useful to go without!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on May 07, 2018, 05:35:00 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2018, 04:25:23 PM

Yesh, I noticed that cropping was missing, to useful to go without!

Also, after double-clicking, press L, which will bring up the Levels slider. Most photos straight out of the camera benefit from this.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

FarStone Image Viewer is free.
It has editing features but I don't use them much, that's what photoshop is for.
It behaves very very much like the old ACDsee without the crashing.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 09, 2018, 11:16:59 AM
FarStone Image Viewer is free.
It has editing features but I don't use them much, that's what photoshop is for.
It behaves very very much like the old ACDsee without the crashing.

I remember using FastStone years ago and recall that it was quite nice to use as a viewer. I forgot to mention it as a possibility.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Downloaded the "large" version of XnView. Could not find the cropping tool, had to find a forum to get to it. The forum said there was a tool but also just drawing a rectangle in full screen works, but it's not intuitive. The help took me to a Wiki that merely seems to define cropping, not tell you how to achieve it!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on May 09, 2018, 12:19:47 PM
Downloaded the "large" version of XnView. Could not find the cropping tool, had to find a forum to get to it. The forum said there was a tool but also just drawing a rectangle in full screen works, but it's not intuitive. The help took me to a Wiki that merely seems to define cropping, not tell you how to achieve it!

Do you mean XnView MP? Sorry, I guess I should have specified that my preference is for XnView Classic, downloadable at https://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/. That's the one I prefer to use.

Just make a rectangle and then choose Crop from the Edit menu.

I forgot to mention that you should download the Extended version on the above page.
― Charles Eames