News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Tank have you ever submitted any of your photographs to National Geographic or Smithsonian magazine?

The quality of some of your work rivals what I see in those magazines.

billy rubin

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on September 21, 2023, 01:49:58 AMNew baby necessitates a new camera necessitates retaking pictures of every
Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on September 21, 2023, 01:49:58 AMNew baby necessitates a new camera necessitates retaking pictures of every stone on every beach.

may i request more of these and closer up?

i am a longtime fan of sedimentary clastics in river and beach environments

i cannot help myself

you have tremendous amounts of geology going on in that pitcher

are there mountains in the vicinity of thst beach? not high alpine ones, but low eroded otypes. im seeing metamorphic stone but presented as pebbles. mountain roots, not peaks.

and weird stuff like urananium minerals?

plus what look like low temperature high pressure metamorphics uphill from depositional basins?

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on October 04, 2023, 11:43:50 PMTank have you ever submitted any of your photographs to National Geographic or Smithsonian magazine?

The quality of some of your work rivals what I see in those magazines.

Thank you. But no. My photos are reasonable but not the spectacular quality you see in those magazines. All I do is look where most people don't and see what they don't notice.

Icarus

some of the photos that you have posted can compete with some of the good ones that my magazines show.

How much fidelity is lost when pictures are transferred to the forum and how much fidelity is lost when printed in a magazine?

I know a little bit about the four color process that is used in print media. The difference between what we might see in the newspaper, as compared to slick magazines is only a matter of dot density, press accuracy, and the substrate surface quality. I have no idea how many dots (pixels or whatever they are) the camera is capable of recording.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on October 06, 2023, 02:54:21 AMsome of the photos that you have posted can compete with some of the good ones that my magazines show.

How much fidelity is lost when pictures are transferred to the forum and how much fidelity is lost  printed in a magazine?

I know a little bit about the four color process that is used in print media. The difference between what we might see in the newspaper, as compared to slick magazines is only a matter of dot density, press accuracy, and the substrate surface quality. I have no idea how many dots (pixels or whatever they are) the camera is capable of recording.

Your screen resolution is 96dpi while good quality print media will be 300dpi what looks good on a screen will not be so good on paper. The camera is a 20mega pixel model. However not all pixels are equal. The smaller the sensor the smaller the pixel thus the higher the signal to noise ratio and the lower the quality. A full professional sensor will be physically 16 times, or more, the size of the one in this camera. It will also have a better dynamic range over which it can accurately capture contrast. This is important because while a screen is an active media ie emitting light, paper is a passive media ie reflecting light, where good contrast and colour saturation are more important. A screen is very flattering to an image, print isn't so much.

The other thing is that the picture above is cropped from a larger image (below) so not all the pixels get used. In this case about 1/4th so a little over 5M pixel.

Tank

I have split off the pebble geology photos to their own thread in Science. It's worth its own thread.

Tank

The Magic Pudding..

I understand you atheists have your issues with god, but you have to admit he designs some cool stuff. That looks heaps better than any robotic vacuum or pool cleaner I've seen.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Icarus

lots of those critters in an Eastern section of Tampa bay. The location is a popular area for kayakers because there are countless Mangrove islands that make up watery trails to explore.. 

The place is called Cockroach Bay. Legend has it that when the Spanish explorers came there, they saw hordes of Horseshoe crabs. They called them sea cockroaches. The name stuck.That location also has a huge oyster shell midden that was placed there by the indigenous people of the past.

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

I saw them there being used in omelette... Well, the reverse, really, and was mildly fascinated. :smilenod:

From 10:25
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank