News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Does this site usually get spammed this often?

Started by Whitney, May 26, 2011, 07:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinkAnarchy

I'm still a new member, but two nights in a row I've noticed assholes spamming the boards with ads. Technically, just one asshole a night. Is this a common occurrence? If so, I certainly understand the 50 post rule now, at least it's contained to only a few boards.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Whitney

no...it's just because when we changed software that our list of banned IPs didn't transfer.  As that list is built up again the spam will go down.

the 50 post rule is to keep the trolls out of serious topics.

slapdashartist

I actually like the 50 posts rule. I'm enjoying doing the alphabet song/movie threads and the interview the person below you one. I'll probably keep using those even after I've reached 50 posts. Just thought I'd put that opinion out there ;). And it probably does make spammers easier to discover and ban.
"And a moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." -Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk

ThinkAnarchy

That makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks, and now this troll is at his 50th post count. *laughs creepily*  ::) Only joking.

I certainly see the logic behind that rule now, it's just a shame parts of the forum have to be locked off because of rotten spam. I always thought it had a long shelf life, it kind of shocks me it could spoil so easily...

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

slapdashartist

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 26, 2011, 07:29:57 AM
Thanks, and now this troll is at his 50th post count. *laughs creepily*  ::) Only joking.

Well, you've reached your 50 much faster than me haha. But don't worry... soon enough!
"And a moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." -Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk

Whitney

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 26, 2011, 07:29:57 AM

I certainly see the logic behind that rule now, it's just a shame parts of the forum have to be locked off because of rotten spam. I always thought it had a long shelf life, it kind of shocks me it could spoil so easily...

because of trolls...not because of spam. there is a big difference between the two.