News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Greetings, Earthlings.

Started by Alchemidas, May 04, 2011, 07:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alchemidas

Hello to all who set their eyes upon this here scribble. *wave*

How to keep this brief? Well, let me have a crack at it...

I wasn't brought up in a religious family. The only religious 'activities' from childhood would be prayer/hymn time during infant and junior school (that's age 3-6, and 7-11, for those who don't know old-ish UK education terminology), and the cub scouts thing my parents made me do to keep me off the streets. Through my teenage years I didn't really think a whole lot about what I believed or didn't believe. I was too busy being a lad, just enjoying life. I didn't question many things, well, other than authority. I didn't really care where we came from and how. As I got older my mind maturely developed and I became interested, as I think the same would be for millions of people out there in the world.

Nowadays, at 28, I find myself becoming more and more frustrated with life and how things work, or should I say, how I believe them to work. Perception is a funny thing, it really is. I'm not a 'Truthseeker', per se, I just want a few answers. I do fear, however, that I shall not find them in my lifetime. Overall my life is pretty good, I have a lot more than some people, not as much as others, but dealing with everyday life can sometimes be a real struggle. I've never once felt the need to "turn to God", because it just doesn't factor in my life and never has. I think the whole idea of religion is backwards. I'm very much against the majority of what religions preach (all the ones I've taken the time to study, anyway) and I believe it's a cancer on our planet. On the other hand, I don't believe religion was created to be so awful, I think it's just become that way over time, and people's interpretation differs so dangerously.

Anyway, I'll stop there for now. I'm interested to know other people who think similarly, because it's very rare I come across those people in this country. God bless the internet. Ahem.  ;)

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

The Black Jester

Welcome sir! 

Why do I get a whiff of Tom Sawyer when I read this intro?...
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Tank

Hi Alchemidas

The older one gets the more one realises that the amount or real impact one has on the world is minimal. Don't fret it, concentrate on the thing you can influence close to you.

Welcome to HAF!

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

MasonG

Alchemidas

Thanks, guys.

Tom Sawyer? Still trying to work that one out...  ??? Maybe I come across as someone who could be 28, but is actually 58? :/

amppax

Hey, welcome fellow newcomer! you sound like someone whose going to be fun to talk to.

Alchemidas

Quote from: amppax on May 06, 2011, 05:17:55 PM
Hey, welcome fellow newcomer! you sound like someone whose going to be fun to talk to.

Thanks. :)

What makes you say that, just out of interest?

amppax

Quote from: Alchemidas on May 06, 2011, 05:38:35 PM
Quote from: amppax on May 06, 2011, 05:17:55 PM

Thanks. :)

What makes you say that, just out of interest?

What you said about answers, etc

The Magic Pudding

Will37

You should just start your own religion.
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

thedport

Welcome to HAF, sounds like you have some pretty interesting things going on in your life. Is any of your family religeous? If so how do they feel about your lack of beleif. Looking forward to talking with you.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55

Cooper20

"There are many types of religion, one of them in Christianity, which celebrates the irony of nailing a carpenter to two pieces of wood."