News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Religion: Search for Truth?

Started by SteveS, September 06, 2007, 05:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveS

Hi gang - so, I was watching this new TV series called "The Universe" on the history channel, and the last show was all about big bang theory (it was quite good, I thought).  During the episode they mentioned religion and described how religion and science have led a troubled coexistence, and went on to describe that this is because both pursuits are a "search for the truth".

I was ... shocked.  I really don't view religion as a search for truth.  I see religious people defending their views and "practicing" their faith (going to church/synagogue/temple/whatever, observing rituals, etc.), but I don't see them searching for anything accept this misguided concept of salvation.

Doesn't the phrase "search for truth" imply that you don't know what the truth is, and that you're engaged in trying to find out?  Don't most religious people think they know what the truth is?  In other words, they have already accepted that their scriptures are true --- if they were "searching" wouldn't they be open to the idea that the scriptures may be false?  Wouldn't a legitimate "search for truth" be an open ended inquiry?  By presuming you know something to be true ahead of time and then spending your life defending your view, aren't you really getting the cart in front of the horse?  If faith comes first, and understanding later, isn't this all backwards?  I don't understand how this behavior is commensurate with a "search for the truth".

This ties into atheism because of all the times I've heard or read the religious say something like "atheists think they're so smart - they think they have all the answers", but I view the situation as opposite.  I think it is the religious people claiming to know things that I don't think they have any reasonable grounds to describe as "known".  I see the atheists as far more willing to answer a question with "I don't know" than a religious person is.

Am I out to lunch on this one - is religion really a "search for truth"?

MommaSquid

I've seen a few of The Universe programs.  And no, I don't see religion as a search for the truth...maybe a search for comfort.  

I get the feeling that The Universe writers and producers are trying not to alienate believers.  There's a lot of science that conflicts with religious beliefs, so maybe they word things the way they do to keep believers watching the show.  If they stick around long enough, maybe they'll figure it out for themselves.  

Hey, I can dream!

rlrose328

Nope, I don't think you're offbase at all.  They do not search for truth... they believe they HAVE the truth and the rest of us are misinformed, blind or outright evil for not towing the line.  They can have their truth... I'll stick with facts.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

SteveS

Yeah, you're probably right MommaSquid - go easy on the believers, lol!  Can't say as I blame them - what would their ratings be if all the believers changed channels?  Atheists are a niche market!

Will

Religion may be a search for truth for some people, but they're headed in the opposite direction of truth, in truth.
Quote from: "mommasquid"I get the feeling that The Universe writers and producers are trying not to alienate believers.
I was reading through my DSM IV the other day and I noticed that under delusion, there is an exception for religion. It's the same thing. Pandering and exceptions for the nonsensical in order to coddle the delusional state of the majority. Delusional epidemic support.

Call a spade a spade. I don't have a problem with believers per se, but to pretend like what they believe makes any kind of sense and ISN'T delusional is either denial or omission, and it's intellectually dishonest.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

tigerlily46514

Quote? If faith comes first, and understanding later, isn't this all backwards?

yes.  loved your whole post.  made a lot of sense.  You oughta shock the station and submit your comments to that show.
"religious groups should stay out of politics-OR BE TAXED."

~jean
"Once you explain why you dismiss all other possible gods-- i'll explain why i dismiss your god."

SteveS

Thanks tigerlily :D

shoruke

If religion is a "search" for truth, then no, they haven't found it yet. They don't search for truth because they already have it. They don't, but there's religion for ya.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

jcm

Yeah SteveS, I saw that episode a while ago and degrasse Tyson kinda ripped off a quote by Carl Sagan. What a punk...give credit where credit is due. J/K I like Tyson too.

Yes that episode was totally trying to include religious insight in such a way as to not piss people off. What good is programming on television, if you limit the number of your viewers, right? Well that is no good when you piss off your main audience. What was religion even doing in there at all? I don’t remember the bible mentioning anything about a big bang. It is like a program on how to build wealth which says “using tarot cards is one option that may work well for you.”
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

SteveS

Quote from: "jcm"What was religion even doing in there at all?
That's a really good question.  I mean, they could have mentioned that the one dude was a Catholic priest, and then just left it at that.  Its as though they wanted to broach the topic, but didn't want to alienate all the religious people.  Or - the producers are religious and they think big-bang theory is evidence in support of the creation account, so they just shoved it in there.

Bah - TV is no good!  It rots your brain I say!  (  :wink:  )

P.S. I like Neil deGrasse Tyson too, but why not credit Sagan if he was quoting him?  Its not like Sagan was unpopular or anything.  :?

fodder

Quote from: "SteveS"Am I out to lunch on this one - is religion really a "search for truth"?

Yes, it is - and when they find it, they stamp it out.