News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Question for Theists

Started by xSilverPhinx, April 21, 2011, 04:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I'm just curious to know what your reasons for joining and commenting on a predominately atheistic forum are. Don't get me wrong, I find the inputs of people with different opinions to be interesting, even if I don't agree with many of them but most theists might find such a forum to be discouraging. If anything there should be more theists posting here.  :pop:

Are you trying to understand atheists better? Have your beliefs challenged?  Or possibly convince someone (without preaching) that your views have merits?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

AnimatedDirt

I had participated on a Christian forum for quite some time and was getting bored of the same arguments that we Christians mull over.  I needed a break.  Initially, I'm not sure of my exact intention, but certainly it wasn't to change anyone's mind.  I had heard horror stories about these forums.  But so far, it's no horror.  I figured it would be a different experience and a new set of issues to mull over.

I have a few friends that are Atheist...one of which is a really close friend.  We shoot ideas across each other and through this forum I've become enlightened to his thinking a lot better.  I try not to get too into the deep issues with him as I value his friendship (you know what they say about politics and religion) and I figure maybe my character may speak more to him than words...or it wont.  I have gained a better understanding on why one would turn to Atheism and/or why one would simply be void of religion.  Religion is certainly a water faucet of varied temperatures.  But then I've found the same varied temperatures in Atheism.  There are a few that will discuss, but more simply just want to point at their perception of wrong.  I fall into that category more than I'd like to admit.

xSilverPhinx

Horror stories? Let me guess: the devil lurks these forums.  :)

AreEl

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"I'm just curious to know what your reasons for joining and commenting on a predominately atheistic forum are.

I read and post to unwind after a stressful day. Also, like AnimatedDirt, I got tired of the same old fare on Christian forums.

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"Are you trying to understand atheists better?

No. Atheism is fairly simple to understand. Atheists, on the other hand are complex,  just like theists: usually irrational but pretending to be rational. Most people are lead by their emotions.

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"Have your beliefs challenged?

Your question is incomplete: Beliefs about what?

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"Or possibly convince someone (without preaching) that your views have merits?

This would be impossible. I am able to convince no one...but God calls whom he wills. I truly doubt any of the people who answer me will be convinced by anything I write.* The problem with human nature is the need we have to put up a front, to look good, to be right; this is called pride.  Pride - which is inherent in each one of us - makes it impossible for an atheist to say to a theist: ''that's a really good point you made there! Perhaps I've been wrong...I'll have to look into this further!''

lol

*My hope lies rather with those who read but do not post. They have no pride to defend and are thus more likely to rationally consider what I have to say.
''I believe in God...it's his ground crew I have a problem with!''  -a former coworker

xSilverPhinx

QuoteI read and post to unwind after a stressful day. Also, like AnimatedDirt, I got tired of the same old fare on Christian forums.

I looked up and and even joined a couple of Christian forums and posted a bit there with the main intent of getting inside a few Christian heads. How and why people think the ways they do are of great interest to me, but even then, reading and posting on a forum filled with people who hold views of reality very different from mine was frustrating and I grew tired of those forums and left. Those forums were definitely not of my inclination and definitely not neutral to me. It's this that I  more or less I had in mind when I started this thread but in reverse:

Coming here to unwind, read what people have written and write what others will read are good reasons but why an atheistic and non neutral forum?  

Quote from: "AreEl"

I don't know, any belief about how the world works, god, how you view your relationship with god etc. Some people like the tough questions and to put what they believe to the test in order to better them or shake them off completely.

QuoteNo. Atheism is fairly simple to understand. Atheists, on the other hand are complex, just like theists: usually irrational but pretending to be rational.

That's an interesting thing that you said there, about atheists being irrational because most actually believe that they've reached a rational conclusion. Why are atheists irrational?

QuoteMost people are lead by their emotions.

I agree.  

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"Or possibly convince someone (without preaching) that your views have merits?

This would be impossible. I am able to convince no one...but God calls whom he wills. I truly doubt any of the people who answer me will be convinced by anything I write.* The problem with human nature is the need we have to put up a front, to look good, to be right; this is called pride.  Pride - which is inherent in each one of us - makes it impossible for an atheist to say to a theist: ''that's a really good point you made there! Perhaps I've been wrong...I'll have to look into this further!''

lol

*My hope lies rather with those who read but do not post. They have no pride to defend and are thus more likely to rationally consider what I have to say.

Have you ever said that to an atheist or a theist of another religion?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"Horror stories? Let me guess: the devil lurks these forums.  :)
Not quite.  The Devil doesn't need to be here as there is very few that need any guidance from him.  It's not that you are all "evil", but simply what "work" would he do here if the vast majority are already non-believers?

No, the horror stories more along the lines of militant Atheists.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Davin"
Yes.  All Atheists are passivists.  *face-palm*

I guess I need to qualify my use of "militant".  Hostile towards Christians and/or religion in general.

I don't recall meeting up with one here on HAF.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: "Davin"

lol Davin

QuoteNo, the horror stories more along the lines of militant Atheists.

More like Dawkins and Hitchens then?

AreEl

QuoteComing here to unwind, read what people have written and write what others will read are good reasons but why an atheistic and non neutral forum?

QuoteI don't know, any belief about how the world works, god, how you view your relationship with god etc. Some people like the tough questions and to put what they believe to the test in order to better them or shake them off completely.

My faith is firmly anchored. So...nothing I will read here will make me question it. As for why I chose an atheist- rather than a neutral-forum, I just like the subject.

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"That's an interesting thing that you said there, about atheists being irrational because most actually believe that they've reached a rational conclusion. Why are atheists irrational?

Just to be accurate, I didn't say that ''atheists are irrational.'' I couldn't have said that because this is what I think:

Quote from: "AreEl"No. Atheism is fairly simple to understand. Atheists, on the other hand are complex, just like theists: usually irrational but pretending to be rational.

Any time derision or veiled insults or innuendo enter a discussion, you can be sure that reason has left it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of these negative contributions on these forums. A lot. This is unfortunate but seems to be part of a new axiom of electronic communication: Your neighbor is more stupid than you and it is your job to tell him so.

The trick I now use is to not post anything in the heat of emotion. I don't need to sound ''stupider'' than I really am.

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"Have you ever said [that's a really good point you made there!] to an atheist or a theist of another religion?

To someone of a false faith, no. To an atheist, yes.

+++

Are there no other Christians here but me and Animated Dirt???
''I believe in God...it's his ground crew I have a problem with!''  -a former coworker

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "xSilverPhinx"More like Dawkins and Hitchens then?
If these fit the "militant" type.

xSilverPhinx

AreEl, I've been posting on other bigger atheistic forums lately and let me tell you if you haven't lurked in a few for a while already: this place is peaceful and civilised in comparison.
Anonymity plays a part in that - people really are more likely to do online what they wouldn't in real life standing face-to-face with someone...it's even been researched, I think.

As far as I know you and Animated Dirt are the only regular posters.

AnimatedDirt, yep, Hitchens would definitely fit the militant type. As for Dawkins...less I think. Though he's a brilliant evolutionary biologist I think he's a bit naive on the subject of religion. 

The Black Jester

QuoteThe trick I now use is to not post anything in the heat of emotion. I don't need to sound ''stupider'' than I really am.

My bold.

Good policy.  And nice, ironic grammatical turn in bold.

QuoteAre there no other Christians here but me and Animated Dirt???

Many come and go.  They visit for a while, even post rather frequently during their time here, but then suddenly go silent.  Freeservant was another, but I haven't seen him in a bit.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

PapistItalian16

I came here with the intent to casue a ruckus because of past pessimism from a couple Athiests, it was a revenge thing, but i'm over it. I met Stevil, a very rational Athiest. I no longer intend to cause a ruckus.

Just like to debate, and shoot down every logical point that you guys make against Christianity.   ;D
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 18, 2011, 06:51:53 PM
I came here with the intent to casue a ruckus because of past pessimism from a couple Athiests, it was a revenge thing, but i'm over it. I met Stevil, a very rational Athiest. I no longer intend to cause a ruckus.

Just like to debate, and shoot down every logical point that you guys make against Christianity.   ;D

Good thing you decided not to troll, you would've missed out on some very interesting conversations if you did. :D