News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

should atheists get their own bible?

Started by JuggernautJon, April 10, 2011, 01:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuggernautJon

I frequent richard dawkins' website .....frequently. Thought this was a good read.
http://richarddawkins.net/articles/6130 ... -own-bible
I come from the water

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.

The Magic Pudding

QuoteIn place of the more well-known Ten Commandments, his atheist principles are: "Love well, seek the good in all things, harm no others, think for yourself, take responsibility, respect nature, do your utmost, be informed, be kind, be courageous."

Think for yourself probably should have been the first principle.

Ulver

Tank

Quote from: "Ulver"I dislike this idea greatly.
I'd be interested to know why. I'm neither pro nor con the idea myself.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Atheist bible? Whatever for?

Why would we want to imitate the religious with their blind adherence to a book - or worse - the cherry picking to shame even the most shameless hypocrite?

If we do not want to do that, be it making one code for all or one thing we can all pick and choose from however we please, why call it a bible? Why do it at all?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Asmodean"Why do it at all?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£
Oh...  :| I was hoping for some Kr, actually.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬â,¬Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£
Oh...  :| I was hoping for some Kr, actually.

I can do better than that.

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
But... But... I dislike dollars. It's one of those words that sound stupid to me for some reason...  :|
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Cecilie

Here you go, Asmodean. 1 krone. Buy yourself a grape or something.

[spoiler:1qwx1xeu]I couldn't find a smaller picture and I couldn't be bothered to resize it.[/spoiler:1qwx1xeu]
The world's what you create.

Whitney

I don't like the idea of an atheist bible...atheism is not a religion and atheists do not necessarily share common interests, goals or beliefs.  There is no possible way anyone could create a book like that which would meet the approval of all atheists, unless it just said "I don't believe in gods. The end."  Not to mention that there is no reason to by copying from the bad aspects of religion, the only thing we should take from it is their years and years of experience in community building.

Tank

But don't communities build around shared goals/ideals/aspirations? There is not  lot to share after "I don't believe in gods. The end." I don't see anything wrong with codifying ideals and working towards a shared vision of the future. The problem is getting the rest of the 'Heard of cats' to agree :) In addition I suppose even if an atheistic world view were codified and recorded you can bet you bottom dollar that some bugger will get all dogmatic about it and use it as an excuse to oppress somebody who does not agree with them.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I think it's ridiculous, it takes one step closer to making atheism a religion of bleating sheep looking to a source for guidance as if it contained all the wisdom in the world. All we need is Pat Condell with his flock preaching it and boom, a religion.  :shake:

Quote from: "Asmodean"Atheist bible? Whatever for?

Why would we want to imitate the religious with their blind adherence to a book - or worse - the cherry picking to shame even the most shameless hypocrite?

If we do not want to do that, be it making one code for all or one thing we can all pick and choose from however we please, why call it a bible? Why do it at all?

I don't see a problem with picking and choosing...I pick and choose things I follow from various sources, but the plus side of picking and choosing from an 'atheist bible' or secular sources versus a religious scripture is that the formers won't claim they are inerrant and all True and have followers that then say that some parts don't apply. An atheist bible wouldn't nearly be as hypocritical. But like you said, why have a book of values and philosophy at all? Why attach it to an irreligious minority group as if it were a religion?  

The only good reason I can think of is to try and find a way of "herding cats", as Tank put it, though nothing I think does that more than religious influence and stupidity itself. A book is unnecessary.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey