News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on May 06, 2023, 05:51:11 PMDoes Camilla become queen in the Brit scheme of things?  Is Camilla the one that was once accused of being "the other woman"?

Camilla is the Queen and she was the other woman, of that there is no doubt whatsoever. There has been a great deal of bad feeling towards her and Charles for their behaviour.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

Poetically, I am going through a drought.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Icarus

Sometimes I take note of the way I speak.  I try to speak and write with correct sentences and parts of speech. I frequently fail. 

I observe that southerners, particularly, violate the old fashioned rule against ending a sentence with a preposition. " where are you going to", "where is he at"  and a variety of other examples.

There are unfamiliar words that I might learn.  Hermes, in another thread, used the word;pastiche. Both Billy and I had to find an explanation for that word. We did. The word was perfectly legitimate and described the concept well. I do not resent the use of words with which I am unfamiliar. When there are several obscure words in the same sentence I have to wonder whether the speaker is trying to confuse me. That may, or may not, be pedantic behavior. But that depends on the audience of course. (Remind me. Never begin a sentence with the word; but.

Words are fun and or enlightening......most of the time. If you have nothing else to do, take a look at this video concerning word origin.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/posts/interesting-etymologies-everyday-words?utm_source=pocket-newtab   

billy rubin

i once came across an internet site that asked you to choose betwen four or so synonyms for a given word, about twenty five? questions?

then a map appeared that showed a scatter cloud over where you were from.

i was astonished. i left america at the age of nine to go to southeast asia, cnsorted with internationals for the next ten years-- britain, singapore, kuala lumpur, all the expatriates that lived there . . .

and the map pinpointed me to central oklahoma. spot on for where i was born, but have mostly never lived.

il see if i can find it

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

here it is

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

i did it again. oklahoma/kansas (both winners) and also mississippi (no clue)

this wont work unless unless youre a colonist

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

It at least got middle America. I was born in Minneapolis, but the results weren't all that close- hundred of miles away. I lived in southern California from '55 until '73 when I joined the Navy, and again later, with about 3 years spent in Florida, which was work-related. Oh, and about 1 year in Idaho, in ~'75.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 07, 2023, 12:12:28 AMhere it is

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

i did it again. oklahoma/kansas (both winners) and also mississippi (no clue)

this wont work unless unless youre a colonist

Languages and word usage are fascinating. I just woke up and shall look at the site when my brain starts functioning after a caffeine boost.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

In a parallel universe I was born in New York!  :lol:

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

MarcusA

It's early, and I have
a walk into town ahead
of me for more baccy.

Icarus

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2023, 04:27:06 AMIn a parallel universe I was born in New York!  :lol:

Nifty maps Hermes.

Many moons ago, this young Florida kid was sent to New England (the north east states) for military training school.  I had to learn a new way of communicating. At first I thought that all those damned Yankees were always angry. It took a while for me to get into the swing of things and to realize that they were not angry. It was their normal way of speaking.  Meanwhile, I was lampooned as a hillbilly because of my own dialect and social behavioral expectations.

In time I came to know these people and began to appreciate them. In fact I became madly in love with one of them and eventually married the worlds most wonderful woman. We moved to Florida and in 30 years of consorting with southerners, she never did lose Connecticut Yankee pronunciation traits. Loraine died suddenly in 1984, massive coronary event. The loss left me totally devastated.

Time went by and eventually I became involved with a mid western woman ( Kansas City Missouri). She has a different way of expressing herself and I was obliged to learn a whole other way to understand nuanced meaning.

The point of this tale is that we may mot be on the same level of understanding with other people, despite our best intentions. Murder episodes and wars are started because of our inability to communicate with clarity and sincerity. .

Tank

My son has decided he prefers F1 to rocket science and has re-signed as Principal Race Engineer for Lando Norris at McLaren. So it's back to globe trotting most of the time. Mclaren are testing out a new team structure, which I'm not at liberty to discuss until it becomes public knowledge, but it looks like a very good idea. Part of the deal is travel for his family so we'll get to see our granddaughter quite regularly. His first race will be Spa in Belgium. He's a lot happier after dabbling with something else, which is great. :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Quote from: Icarus on May 12, 2023, 02:15:06 AMNifty maps Hermes.

Many moons ago, this young Florida kid was sent to New England (the north east states) for military training school.  I had to learn a new way of communicating. At first I thought that all those damned Yankees were always angry. It took a while for me to get into the swing of things and to realize that they were not angry. It was their normal way of speaking.  Meanwhile, I was lampooned as a hillbilly because of my own dialect and social behavioral expectations.

In time I came to know these people and began to appreciate them. In fact I became madly in love with one of them and eventually married the worlds most wonderful woman. We moved to Florida and in 30 years of consorting with southerners, she never did lose Connecticut Yankee pronunciation traits. Loraine died suddenly in 1984, massive coronary event. The loss left me totally devastated.

Time went by and eventually I became involved with a mid western woman ( Kansas City Missouri). She has a different way of expressing herself and I was obliged to learn a whole other way to understand nuanced meaning.

The point of this tale is that we may mot be on the same level of understanding with other people, despite our best intentions. Murder episodes and wars are started because of our inability to communicate with clarity and sincerity. .

Thank you for that, Icarus. It would be interesting to see to what extent the various influences you describe have affected the response from the dialect analysis. As for me, I spent the majority of my life on the west coast and despite a fair bit of wandering since, the analysis reflects that.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on May 14, 2023, 10:26:53 AMMy son has decided he prefers F1 to rocket science and has re-signed as Principal Race Engineer for Lando Norris at McLaren. So it's back to globe trotting most of the time. Mclaren are testing out a new team structure, which I'm not at liberty to discuss until it becomes public knowledge, but it looks like a very good idea. Part of the deal is travel for his family so we'll get to see our granddaughter quite regularly. His first race will be Spa in Belgium. He's a lot happier after dabbling with something else, which is great. :)

Splendid to hear that his work will allow for family travel, and best of luck to him and his team.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on May 15, 2023, 05:53:51 AM
Quote from: Tank on May 14, 2023, 10:26:53 AMMy son has decided he prefers F1 to rocket science and has re-signed as Principal Race Engineer for Lando Norris at McLaren. So it's back to globe trotting most of the time. Mclaren are testing out a new team structure, which I'm not at liberty to discuss until it becomes public knowledge, but it looks like a very good idea. Part of the deal is travel for his family so we'll get to see our granddaughter quite regularly. His first race will be Spa in Belgium. He's a lot happier after dabbling with something else, which is great. :)

Splendid to hear that his work will allow for family travel, and best of luck to him and his team.  :)

Well they asked him to go back. So he's got a good deal :) He's the only person I know who went to Vagas and came back with more money. If he needs a bit of cash he plays poker online.

MarcusA

My mind tends to wander. I should be reading right now.