News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

I think, therefore I might not be.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Tank

Well we are crowning our new king here in the UK today. It's wall-to-wall coverage on most TV channels. I'm not a monarchist but I will be watching as this is history in the making and it could be the only coronation that will happen in my lifetime.

:popcorn:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2023, 09:57:21 AMWell we are crowning our new king here in the UK today. It's wall-to-wall coverage on most TV channels. I'm not a monarchist but I will be watching as this is history in the making and it could be the only coronation that will happen in my lifetime.

You youngsters! This is my second one.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2023, 09:57:21 AMWell we are crowning our new king here in the UK today. It's wall-to-wall coverage on most TV channels. I'm not a monarchist but I will be watching as this is history in the making and it could be the only coronation that will happen in my lifetime.

I've been practising the pledge all have to say all day "I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law - so help me God."  Honest I have, so help me god.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on May 06, 2023, 11:20:27 AM

I've been practising the pledge all have to say all day "I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law - so help me God."  Honest I have, so help me god.

I have been practicing not saying it.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

My allegiance lies with tacos, and RUSH.

billy rubin

do people there really take it seriously?

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one

People fawn over such nonsense.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on May 06, 2023, 12:47:27 PMdo people there really take it seriously?

Yes. Lots take it really seriously.

hermes2015

Quote from: No one on May 06, 2023, 12:09:24 PMMy allegiance lies with tacos, and RUSH.

Me too! Geoffrey is a great actor.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2023, 01:50:08 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 06, 2023, 12:47:27 PMdo people there really take it seriously?

Yes. Lots take it really seriously.

odd. we dont have anything comparable in the states. but maybe its just me. im pretty cut off from performance culture.

part of it is removing television sets from my life some three decades ago. it means im totally ignorant of much of what we call dominant culture here and frequently dont know what people mean when they converse using common cultural references.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Anne D.

I enjoy the pomp and pageantry and seeing the ladies' outfits and jewelry. But I'd feel differently if my tax dollars were paying for that.

Icarus

Does Camilla become queen in the Brit scheme of things?  Is Camilla the one that was once accused of being "the other woman"?

I have not been kept up to speed on such monumentally important things because my wife is away at this time. She is riding around on a big cruise ship in the Caribbean with visits to various ports. The BVI (British Virgin Islands) may be all atwitter.

Tank

Quote from: Anne D. on May 06, 2023, 05:23:34 PMI enjoy the pomp and pageantry and seeing the ladies' outfits and jewelry. But I'd feel differently if my tax dollars were paying for that.

Tax dollars are a moot point as the royal family and the history they represent and look after bring in massive revenues in tourism. And the Duchy of Cornwall is a massive tax source. So they probably break even.