News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Westboro Baptist Ruling

Started by LARA, March 03, 2011, 03:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

I'm curious what you all's thoughts are on the 8 to 1 Supreme Court ruling in favor of Westboro Baptist's right to protest near military funerals.  The judges opinions I read overall were highly critical of what the church members were actually saying, but the strong support for protection of free speech is made apparent by their decision.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Newtonyd

Not surprising, really. Freedom of speech is very much a double edged blade. It is kind of unfortunate how they've made such a major scene in the media. They seem to be the real life version of internet trolls, and feed on the attention.

They're probably not going to go away until they stop getting fed.

Stevil

Oh my, I just did a search on these guys, they really are doing themselves no favours.
Such a shame that the families and loved ones of the decest have to put up with the presence of these guys.

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/article_985d95f2-7dde-52d4-8859-cfc3e7fbe84c.html
QuoteMembers of the church, based in Topeka, Kan., travel the country protesting at military funerals because they believe U.S. troop deaths are punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality. They carry signs that say "Thank God for dead soldiers" and include gay epithets, among other things.

Surely one day some funeral goers are going to physically attack these protesters. I would certainly be quite keen to rip those signs off them.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Stevil"I would certainly be quite keen to rip those signs off them.
While I would want to do the same.  Doing so is to disregard the right you have to protest that which you disagree with.
Freedom of speech really is a double-edged sword.

McQ

I'm only surprised it wasn't unanimous. The term double-edged sword has been used already a couple of times in this thread, and it's what I was thinking as well. We protect the right to free speech of all, not just some, in the U.S. That includes neo-Nazis, Westboro Baptist, and Atheists.
Heart wrenching for the families of the deceased when this happens though, and it's why I support the counter protests that effectively block the WBC people from being seen or heard at funerals.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

I completely understand why family members of the fallen soldiers are upset about WBC and how seeing those hurtful words is the last thing a grieving spouse, parent or sibling needs to see.  But, unfortunately, government can't be used to shield us from the thoughts of others no matter how wrong or hurtful.  As long as WBC maintains their distance so that they aren't disturbing the actual event (I believe quite a few states have drawn a 1000 ft buffer around the funerals in which protests are not allowed; similar to how presidential visits have protest zones), there simply isn't a way to say they have legally done something wrong.  Morally...if there were a hell they'd be hard pressed to do enough good to keep out of it at this point.

Stevil

I am all for freedom of speech, just against using someone's personal funeral becoming the focus of a political/religious agenda especially if it is hurtful.
There is a time and a place for things. A funeral demands respect and dignity at least for those in grief.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Stevil"I am all for freedom of speech, just against using someone's personal funeral becoming the focus of a political/religious agenda especially if it is hurtful.
There is a time and a place for things. A funeral demands respect and dignity at least for those in grief.
This statement(s) is interesting to me.  Just a point I will have to chalk up for now though.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "Stevil"I am all for freedom of speech, just against using someone's personal funeral becoming the focus of a political/religious agenda especially if it is hurtful.
This statement(s) is interesting to me.  Just a point I will have to chalk up for now though.

Yeah... erm... I'm with AnimatedDirt on this one.

Sophus

This is a completely ridiculous ruling. According to our law now the workplace is more sacred than a funeral. That's right, no hate speech allow in the workplace but a widowed mother trying to bury her dead son in peace.... forget about it.

The UK had the right idea when they banned these perverted creeps. Freedom of speech has always had limits. I don't know of anyone who believes in unbridled freedom of speech. Moreover I think the Phelps family should be allowed to say whatever they want just not wherever they want to. That goes for everyone, myself included. I feel no right to mouth off at another's funeral.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Will

What the Westbro Baptist Church is doing cannot be honestly categorized as protesting. What they're doing is trying to goad people into attacking them, and when that happens, they sue for damages. It's a scam. I believe whole-heartedly in the right to free speech, but what they're doing isn't about freedom of expression, it's about extortion. Extortion is not a Constitutionally protected right.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Stevil

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"

Yeah... erm... I'm with AnimatedDirt on this one.
I think I am missing something here, who accuses me of saying something interesting? I only talk waffle and dribble. Please explain! It seems that I have missed the point, yet again. Oh Dear  :shake:

Sophus

Quote from: "Will"What the Westbro Baptist Church is doing cannot be honestly categorized as protesting. What they're doing is trying to goad people into attacking them, and when that happens, they sue for damages. It's a scam. I believe whole-heartedly in the right to free speech, but what they're doing isn't about freedom of expression, it's about extortion. Extortion is not a Constitutionally protected right.

Couldn't agree more. I was just reading this article Does the Westboro Baptist Church make money by suing people? earlier today.

I wonder how many people remember when Buzz Aldrin was let off for punching a We-Faked-The-First-Trip-To-The-Moon conspiracy theorist guy for calling Buzz a fraud and a liar. Either we are making a huge exception for an "American Hero" like Aldrin, or shouting "Hooray! your child is dead!" is less provocative than "you lie!"
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

ForTheLoveOfAll

As much as I appreciate freedom of speech and how important it is, I think for honor's sake a few people should toss some molotov cocktails into that god forsaken hell hole known as Westboro Baptist Church.

Those people are mentally sick.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "Sophus"This is a completely ridiculous ruling. According to our law now the workplace is more sacred than a funeral. That's right, no hate speech allow in the workplace but a widowed mother trying to bury her dead son in peace.... forget about it.

The UK had the right idea when they banned these perverted creeps. Freedom of speech has always had limits. I don't know of anyone who believes in unbridled freedom of speech. Moreover I think the Phelps family should be allowed to say whatever they want just not wherever they want to. That goes for everyone, myself included. I feel no right to mouth off at another's funeral.

This. 100% couldn't agree more.

And for anyone who doesn't know much about these horrible people, google "the most hated family in America", it's a documentary by Louis Theroux. Might even be on YouTube.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.