News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

'Natural' Healing...what is it?

Started by kelltrill, March 01, 2011, 02:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelltrill

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"I'm going for a degree in philosophy, Holistic Medicine and Natural Healing, and Theraputic Massage.

After awhile I intend on trying out to be an Astrophysicist. But that's a dream.  :D

Natural healing eh? What exactly does that entail?
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "kelltrill"
Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"I'm going for a degree in philosophy, Holistic Medicine and Natural Healing, and Theraputic Massage.

After awhile I intend on trying out to be an Astrophysicist. But that's a dream.  :D

Basicly using more natural means of healing the body. Modern medicine has been a big failure. It's more concerned with killing disease, not healing the body. A healthy body doesn't get sick, much like a healthy plant resists bugs.

I've found garlic, horseradish, and water to be more effective instruments of health than all the money I wasted on medical treatment.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Whitney

I think the concept behind "natural healing" is pseudoscience and would be surprised if it were being taught as a major in any accredited university.

Very healthy people get cancer...exhibit A:  Lance Armstrong

hismikeness

Quote from: "Whitney"I think the concept behind "natural healing" is pseudoscience and would be surprised if it were being taught as a major in any accredited university.

There are also suspicions that LA did a lot of performance enhancing drugs (steroids of sorts) which can wreak havoc on the testicles, where he ended up having cancer.

Or should I say testicle. What? Too soon?
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Whitney

Quote from: "hismikeness"
Quote from: "Whitney"I think the concept behind "natural healing" is pseudoscience and would be surprised if it were being taught as a major in any accredited university.

There are also suspicions that LA did a lot of performance enhancing drugs (steroids of sorts) which can wreak havoc on the testicles, where he ended up having cancer.

Or should I say testicle. What? Too soon?

From what I've read one person has made that accusation and so far there is no corroborating evidence as LA has come out clean on every test.

edit: to clarify my position - I don't deny that healthy eating and exercise can help to prevent and reverse many health problems.  However, modern science also does not deny this and any competent doctor will suggest healthy eating and exercise  before they try out certain drugs (like for cholesterol or weight loss).  So, setting natural healing off by itself and claiming modern medicine has failed is nonsense.  I'd also like to know of examples of where purely natural methods have shown to cure cancer at a rate any higher than the chance of remission occurring.

KDbeads

Healthy body does not cure all issues, like genetic hormonal imbalances, chemical imbalances, seizures, genetic predisposition for many illnesses, mental illnesses, etc.  Western medicine is also not always about killing everything in its path.  Quite a bit of western medication is there to help fix what nature screwed up when we were wired to begin with.  Changes in food and fitness do not manage bi-polar, hypothyroid, autoimmune diseases, obsessive compulsive disorder, ADHD, .....

That said, as a big supporter of western medicine as long as antibiotics aren't over used, I have benefited from a few of those 'natural' cures and seen remarkable changes in a dog due to alternative therapy.  

A bite from a brown recluse.  Most everyone has seen those horrific pictures of the damage those bites are capable of but having been bit a few times before I know that not ALL bites end up that way.  This time though was different.  On December 14 I was bit on the shin.  I saw the damn spider that did it since I swatted him off me.  I did what I always do, keep it clean, and keep antibiotic salve on it, SOP if you will because I get bit by all manner of critters a lot.  By christmas it was the size of a half dollar with a dime sized black center, a little concerning so I spoke with my doc, who slapped me on antibiotics.  No change after a month, not better, not worse, the antibiotics helped stop the spread but didn't help heal anything, and the idea then was heavy duty medical intervention to close the hole.
I have a friend who is big into the native american cures and showed it to her.  She asked me to try something for a week, if it didn't show any improvement to go ahead with the intervention since neither of us thought I needed to risk any more flesh/muscle damage, or worse.  I tried it being very skeptical and well, it worked, by the end of that week the spot was half the size.  A month out from trying this remedy I'm down to a large scar, which of course my doc says isn't possible given the remedy was not current approved/tested therapy.  Notice.... I said remedy, not medicine in any form.  

Then there is a dog here with terrible seizures and anxiety resulting from stress (we think anyway).  The seizures responded to western meds (KBr) quite well but NOTHING has helped the anxiety.  Which in turn causes a few seizures here and there and keeps her from eating and she just wastes away.  One day I go to the vet to pick up meds and he asks me to wait a minute.  He comes out with this bottle and asks me to give it a try on the dog, apparently it was recommended to him by another patient with a similar issue..  After a week on this supplement I was impressed to say the least, I was positive it was another dead end in waiting but well.... I haven't willingly taken her off of it after the first 2 month trial.  Without it in her system she becomes a ball of nerves.  And amazingly right now it's being touted as one of those herbal weight loss cures.  She's gained 20 pounds since we started it because she's actually calm enough to eat.  (hoping she'll put on about 5 more)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

kelltrill

Quote from: "KDbeads"He comes out with this bottle and asks me to give it a try on the dog, apparently it was recommended to him by another patient with a similar issue..  After a week on this supplement I was impressed to say the least, I was positive it was another dead end in waiting but well.... I haven't willingly taken her off of it after the first 2 month trial.  Without it in her system she becomes a ball of nerves.  And amazingly right now it's being touted as one of those herbal weight loss cures.  She's gained 20 pounds since we started it because she's actually calm enough to eat.  (hoping she'll put on about 5 more)

What exactly was this supplement? I am genuinely pleased to hear your dog is getting better.

I'm not a supporter of natural medicine or healing beyond eating healthy and leading a healthy lifestyle. I find homeopathy and naturopathy utter pseudoscience. I also find natural medicines which contain chemical ingredients, such as weight loss remedies, misleading and dangerous. That is not to say that all natural ingredients are bullshit, of course, but I have yet to find an industry or field which can tout these ingredients without promoting or clinging to superstitious woo.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "KDbeads"He comes out with this bottle and asks me to give it a try on the dog, apparently it was recommended to him by another patient with a similar issue..  After a week on this supplement I was impressed to say the least, I was positive it was another dead end in waiting but well.... I haven't willingly taken her off of it after the first 2 month trial.  Without it in her system she becomes a ball of nerves.  And amazingly right now it's being touted as one of those herbal weight loss cures.  She's gained 20 pounds since we started it because she's actually calm enough to eat.  (hoping she'll put on about 5 more)

What exactly was this supplement? I am genuinely pleased to hear your dog is getting better.

I'm not a supporter of natural medicine or healing beyond eating healthy and leading a healthy lifestyle. I find homeopathy and naturopathy utter pseudoscience. I also find natural medicines which contain chemical ingredients, such as weight loss remedies, misleading and dangerous. That is not to say that all natural ingredients are bullshit, of course, but I have yet to find an industry or field which can tout these ingredients without promoting or clinging to superstitious woo.
Homeopathy is one of those things I want to drop off the face of the earth. It gives natural medicine a bad name.

The main reason most natural remedies don't work is because they don't put enough into the various tinctures, powders, or what have you.

The best that I have found are by Dr. Schultze. We make our own tinctures and even amp up the power using his formulae, and tweaking them to our own desires sometimes.

For years, I haven't been sick. And this was only after I stopped using what was prescribed to me by my doctor and started using natural alternatives.

Pure water, natural remedies WITHOUT added chemicals, fresh fruits and vegetables, plenty of exercise, and, yes, a good attitude.

My mother and I probably wouldn't be alive right now if it weren't for Schultze. He doesn't mess around, though I admit that the majority of natural healing programs out there right now are bullshit made by people just looking to make a buck. But when you find the diamonds in the rough, they always tend to work better than anything modern medicine has produced.

I have seen first-hand people cancer, AIDS, arthritis, alzheimers, and all other sorts of incurable diseases completely healed using Schultze's and Gerson's methods. And they were 100% natural. (Well, minus the coffe enemas.)
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

KDbeads

It's called Harmonease, well the stuff market for dogs is anyway, but the main ingredient (the one that works) is Relora.  I've had her on the cheaper Relora for 3 months now, it's $11 for a 45 day supply vs $30 for a 30 day supply.
It's not a cure by any means, she's still a very hyper annoying 90 some odd pound dog BUT this stuff takes the anxiety off all that energy.  Helps keep her manageable and allows her to eat without tossing it back up an hour later due to being stressed out. She was off this stuff for a week while I waited on the cheaper version to come in, lost 5 pounds, broke 4 toenails, jumped the fence twice, could not stop barking/growling and had a partial complex seizure (1 that I know of, these are her minor ones where she tucks tail, hides, and chews the wall/floor) on her worst day.  She was back to calm within 4 days of being back on it and eating again.
I'm not sure what I'll do if they pull this off the market during her lifetime!
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

KDbeads

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"I have seen first-hand people cancer, AIDS, arthritis, alzheimers, and all other sorts of incurable diseases completely healed using Schultze's and Gerson's methods. And they were 100% natural. (Well, minus the coffe enemas.)

AIDS?  Alzheimer's?  Cured???  Personally I'd prefer to see proof there as in documented proof in a reputable research publication.

McQ

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"

Basicly using more natural means of healing the body. Modern medicine has been a big failure. It's more concerned with killing disease, not healing the body. A healthy body doesn't get sick, much like a healthy plant resists bugs.

I've found garlic, horseradish, and water to be more effective instruments of health than all the money I wasted on medical treatment.

A healthy body doesn't get sick?
Yes, it does. All healthy cells in the body eventually die. Doesn't matter if you believe it or not. You've spouted a [strike:1g6u6yoi]bunch of rubbish[/strike:1g6u6yoi] some amazing things in just a couple of posts on this subject. Modern medicine a big failure? Really? Can't wait to hear about it. In another post, you claim to have seen, first-hand, people cured from AIDS and cancer, without anything other than natural treatment.

How about documented evidence for any of the claims you've made? Really. Pick any of them and show some evidence.

Edit to add that I am sorry for the dismissive tone of my words. Although I believe your claims to be invalid, I don't wish to be uncivil. These claims have to be challenged, though.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette