News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 03, 2012, 01:38:38 AM
There's someone on my friend's list who considers herself a bit of a "fat activist". She posts a lot about body image issues -- some of it I agree with, some of it I disagree with. She's also in the bellydance community and she's very vocal about accepting all shapes and sizes of bodies in the dance. Again, cool (mostly). She ALSO has a daughter who is in a wheelchair, so she (the mother) is very vocal about accepting everyone, despite their ability.

THEN. Tonight, she updates her status: "I saw a small penis parade tonight...or at least I think that's what the seven Corvettes all driving in a convoy was..."

WTF?! We're supposed to accept everyone of all shapes, sizes, and abilities, but taking cheap cracks at strangers' penis' because of the car they drive is okay?! W.T.F.

I drive a Golf myself.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 03, 2012, 01:38:38 AMWTF?! We're supposed to accept everyone of all shapes, sizes, and abilities, but taking cheap cracks at strangers' penis' because of the car they drive is okay?! W.T.F.

Just driving wouldn't bother me but look at me antics do.  Fast noisy acceleration in a residential street or car park does.  It's not impressive, any yob could do it.

Buddy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on August 03, 2012, 04:17:55 AM

Just driving wouldn't bother me but look at me antics do.  Fast noisy acceleration in a residential street or car park does.  It's not impressive, any yob could do it.

Oh Asmo, the intersection that I live one is famous for that. I want to throw something when some douche bag feels the need to be extra loud at two AM.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on August 03, 2012, 01:38:38 AM
There's someone on my friend's list who considers herself a bit of a "fat activist". She posts a lot about body image issues -- some of it I agree with, some of it I disagree with. She's also in the bellydance community and she's very vocal about accepting all shapes and sizes of bodies in the dance. Again, cool (mostly). She ALSO has a daughter who is in a wheelchair, so she (the mother) is very vocal about accepting everyone, despite their ability.

THEN. Tonight, she updates her status: "I saw a small penis parade tonight...or at least I think that's what the seven Corvettes all driving in a convoy was..."

WTF?! We're supposed to accept everyone of all shapes, sizes, and abilities, but taking cheap cracks at strangers' penis' because of the car they drive is okay?! W.T.F.
Hypocrisy knows no boundaries  :D 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on February 23, 2013, 07:38:43 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on February 23, 2013, 12:05:22 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 22, 2013, 08:56:56 PM
Quote from: NoHandlebarsAttached on February 22, 2013, 08:48:23 PM
People who think fascism and communism are the same thing.

Aren't they complete opposites of each other?
Fachism is right wing extremism, communism is left wing extreme. Polar opposite.
Funny thing though is quite often people change their views from one extreme to another. In extreme right wing organizations you may find a lot of former communists. For example: Adolf Hitler used to be a communist. It looks like that if one extreme view doesn't work out for them, they try a different extreme view.
I've noticed the 'loop around effect' too. I suspect it's down to the individual who has an extreme personality jumping between bandwagons to suit their current agenda.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Pasta Chick

People who say they're going out "just for a bit" and you'll be back in plenty of time to make pratice, and 5 hours later they're plastered and you've got no ride in sight.

I specifically asked if I should drive myself, too.

xSilverPhinx

Certain people who second guess my motivations. If I just don't want to go wherever, then it means that I simply don't want to go! Why do some people expect me to conjure an explanation that will satisfy them? 

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on August 25, 2014, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: MariaEvri on August 25, 2014, 06:58:24 AM
here's a peeve I have with my fellow cypriots:
I am not the most patriotic person out there but everytime I see a greek flag waving at some monument, house, rally, political event I get enraged. We are an independent nation, we have our OWN flag, and yet idiots wave the flag of another country. Where else in the world does this happen!

You should see the Confederate flags in America. They turn up as bumper stickers, flying outside people's houses, hanging inside people's houses, and of course on state flags (either explicitly or implicitly) like the flag of Mississippi:

Yep, the official flag of a state government pays homage to a failed rebellion which was, largely, intended to preserve the status of certain humans as property. I'd be much happier with people flying foreign flags than that one.
It's just a flag though... Does it really matter?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on December 14, 2014, 12:25:41 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 25, 2014, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: MariaEvri on August 25, 2014, 06:58:24 AM
here's a peeve I have with my fellow cypriots:
I am not the most patriotic person out there but everytime I see a greek flag waving at some monument, house, rally, political event I get enraged. We are an independent nation, we have our OWN flag, and yet idiots wave the flag of another country. Where else in the world does this happen!

You should see the Confederate flags in America. They turn up as bumper stickers, flying outside people's houses, hanging inside people's houses, and of course on state flags (either explicitly or implicitly) like the flag of Mississippi:

Yep, the official flag of a state government pays homage to a failed rebellion which was, largely, intended to preserve the status of certain humans as property. I'd be much happier with people flying foreign flags than that one.
It's just a flag though... Does it really matter?

I guess it's the meaning behind the flag that induces anger. I can understand that since it's basically like openly saying "I support human slavery." which is fucked up. Not sure if you meant that.

Aside from that, flag pride in general is pretty dumb to me. It's just a piece of fabric, yet people will risk their lives for it (in old wars- the poor flag bearer.) Old vets and patriotic people will go crazy if you use a flag as a blanket, or sit on it, or get it dirty. That seems silly to me.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 20, 2014, 07:35:10 AM
I guess it's the meaning behind the flag that induces anger. I can understand that since it's basically like openly saying "I support human slavery." which is fucked up. Not sure if you meant that.
Yes, but who gets to imbue the flag with meaning? As you said, it's a piece of fabric, albeit a colorful one. Does one really have to support slavery to fly the Confederate States flag? Does one have to despise the jews to fly an early fourties German one? There may be a lot of political motivation behind a flag. To assume a single cause behind it is, as I see it, uncalled for.

Aside from that, flag pride in general is pretty dumb to me. It's just a piece of fabric, yet people will risk their lives for it (in old wars- the poor flag bearer.) Old vets and patriotic people will go crazy if you use a flag as a blanket, or sit on it, or get it dirty. That seems silly to me.
I guess it just boils down to some people liking symbols more than others. I must say, in general, I don't think I have the capacity to understand the "weight" of those symbols in peoples' eyes.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

'Tis the season for family to ask when I'm getting a boyfriend. #aceproblems  ::)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Budhorse4 link=topic=69neg298773#msg298773 date=1419110536
'Tis the season for family to ask when I'm getting with thesoyfriend. #aceproblems  ::)

I hated that...and it will never stop. Once you "Get" a boyfriend then they'll ask so when are getting married, then when are you having children, and more children.

I had an Aunt who never married, who never had kids, and who was also a hoarder. She was unrelenting with my sister's and I with questioning us about our personal lives.
One Easter there was a big fight I got blamed for because I was tired of her nosiness. So when she asked me when I was "getting" a girlfriend I replied back, " I dont know Auntie, when are you going to clean your fucking house"? (Exact words. And then all he'll broke loose.)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Bruno apparently got a girlfriend..........and much more than a mere GF. I do hope auntie is sufficiently vindicated.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on December 21, 2014, 01:16:40 AM
Bruno apparently got a girlfriend..........and much more than a mere GF. I do hope auntie is sufficiently vindicated.

Icarus, yes I did and she never liked a one, but eventually I "Got"a wife, and some kids,... but she could not understand why I had to marry, as she put it " A Mexican and not some nice Polish girl?" Even after telling her 100 fucking times that my wife was not Mexican, but Honduran (Her payback for my insolence, not just than, but on other occasions as well was me ending up having to clean her house 20+ some years later. As I mentioned earlier she was a Class A Hoarder, an experience and subject deserving of it's own thread)

My Dear Polish Aunt was intolerable to the point that some relatives refused to associate with her, my sister's and I tolerated her out of respect for our Dad who had already passed away, otherwise we would have disowned her as well.

The event I described below was simply the tip of the iceberg with her, she was by far the worse out of the Aunts and Grandmas; but I hate meddling relatives, especially during the holiday's like Bud originally peeved about.
I make it a point as a Dad not to be that way with my own kids, and if any of their Aunts or Uncles start to get nosy I cut them right off.

So stay tough Bud, and don't let them get to you... ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."