News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

What do they mate with, I wonder..? Their oversized exhaust outlets, which if you look closely are usually just bolted on to the stock system?  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Retired member.

Synapse

When a group of people clog up a walkway.

When people don't show up for appointments or are just incapable of punctuality.

When people say "We only use 10% of our brains". Worse still are shows that assume that unlocking the "other 90%" results in superpowers.

Buddy

Quote from: 5yn4p2e on July 21, 2012, 03:54:36 AM
When a group of people clog up a walkway.

When people don't show up for appointments or are just incapable of punctuality.

When people say "We only use 10% of our brains". Worse still are shows that assume that unlocking the "other 90%" results in superpowers.

I heard that it results in a seizure.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 21, 2012, 03:57:51 AM
I heard that it results in a seizure.
That would probably make sense... Push the brain over the limit, and it will fight back.

Where does that 10% myth come from anyways..? Not pre-brain scan era, I hope..? Because if so, how does any one still believe it? (Yeah yeah, I know... Gods, alternative so-called medicine, conspiracy theories and so on... Own brain being bigger than one thinks is probably not the most harmful thing to believe in "just because"...)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: QuaraGror on July 22, 2012, 03:55:22 AM
Human psychology has accepted the co-existence of good and evil from the the minute Adam and Eve ate the apple of knowledge. There is certainly happiness with sorrow, pleasure with pain, truth with lie, beauty with ugliness and so on. Often used the happy moments you have ever had along with the moments of sorrow. Sometimes the memory and concern about unhealthy time keeps on haunting you and you are really much overwhelmed for you to forget to smile. Do you think you're depressed and filled with anxiety all the time? Are you currently in times that may be called a disorder?

Do not underestimate your depression and anxiety, there're actual life enemies and you will never underestimate your enemies. Let me tell you the indications of anxiety disorder so as to compare and understand your lack of control. There are certain physical the signs of anxiety disorder, e.g. rapid or irregular heartbeat, stomach problems like gnawing feeling, nausea, "butterflies within the stomach" diarrhea, irritated bowel syndrome, sweating, or feeling cold and clammy headaches, lightheadedness or dizziness, body tension or aches, fatigue or breathlessness shaking, trembling or twitching difficulty dropping off to sleep or staying asleep, hot flashes or chills, chest pain, rubbery legs, tingling in fingers or toes. Concurrently there are some emotional symptoms too being a general sensation of apprehension and dread, nervousness, jumpiness, irritation, fearfulness or terror, isolation from others, feeling incredibly self-conscious and insecure, and fear that you're dying or going crazy strong want to escape.

Well I felt OK before I read that.
Do I accept the "co-existence of good and evil?"
Not sure, maybe I lack a proper human psychology.
Not to worry though, there's a pill to stop me caring.

Recusant

Heh, I appreciate that you removed the spam links in that post Sir Pudding. Well done.   ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

It's Sir Pudding now? Be careful to not inflate that head of his too much, otherwise he'll never get that crown off. ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 22, 2012, 06:50:06 AM
It's Sir Pudding now? Be careful to not inflate that head of his too much, otherwise he'll never get that crown off. ;)

I think that's probably his fondest ambition, to wear that crown and never be able to remove it...

He only wishes that HE'D parachuted in, at the start of the Olympics.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

I realise that I should've said 'inflate his ego' instead of 'head', though the sentences wouldn't have worked. In Portuguese ego and head can be interchangeable. Just sayin' to remove any possible misconceptions about my meaning. :-\

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 30, 2012, 04:35:14 PM
I realise that I should've said 'inflate his ego' instead of 'head', though the sentences wouldn't have worked. In Portuguese ego and head can be interchangeable. Just sayin' to remove any possible misconceptions about my meaning. :-\

It still works the same in English.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on July 30, 2012, 04:39:40 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 30, 2012, 04:35:14 PM

It still works the same in English.

Ah, well. Good to know. ;D Would've been a bit awkward...

Icarus

I'm not reading the whole 37 pages so I may be repeating someone elses peeve.

Pet Peeve; people who not only state, but also believe, "facts" that are not sufficiently verified or even examined. Phony facts are all over the map. Right now, in the US, we are besieged by political statements that are damned lies but accepted as certainties by the great unwashed. Political misrepresentation is only one area of the boatload of crap to which we are constantly subjected.

I think that the general population is just too lazy to make an effort to seperate hearsay from realistic information.   

Buddy

People who feel the need to stir up trouble. Nothing makes me angrier than that.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

There's someone on my friend's list who considers herself a bit of a "fat activist". She posts a lot about body image issues -- some of it I agree with, some of it I disagree with. She's also in the bellydance community and she's very vocal about accepting all shapes and sizes of bodies in the dance. Again, cool (mostly). She ALSO has a daughter who is in a wheelchair, so she (the mother) is very vocal about accepting everyone, despite their ability.

THEN. Tonight, she updates her status: "I saw a small penis parade tonight...or at least I think that's what the seven Corvettes all driving in a convoy was..."

WTF?! We're supposed to accept everyone of all shapes, sizes, and abilities, but taking cheap cracks at strangers' penis' because of the car they drive is okay?! W.T.F.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.