News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

M48s being passed off as PanzerIII (it's a Tank thing!)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

DeterminedJuliet

For the second time in the last week I've had someone who used to be on my Husband's facebook list passively-aggressively message me asking me why he removed them. It kind of drives me crazy because A) It's HIS facebook! He can add or delete whoever he wants! Why do they think I have anything to do with it? and B) It puts me in the awkward situation of having to come up with a response.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 11, 2012, 04:39:39 PM
For the second time in the last week I've had someone who used to be on my Husband's facebook list passively-aggressively message me asking me why he removed them. It kind of drives me crazy because A) It's HIS facebook! He can add or delete whoever he wants! Why do they think I have anything to do with it? and B) It puts me in the awkward situation of having to come up with a response.

The fact that they are directing their chagrin at you in this crass manner wholly justifies your husband's decision to spurn them. Not that that is the issue. In your situation, I would probably say  simply that it's a matter they really need to take up with your husband.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: En_Route on May 11, 2012, 06:00:17 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 11, 2012, 04:39:39 PM

The fact that they are directing their chagrin at you in this crass manner wholly justifies your husband's decision to spurn them. Not that that is the issue. In your situation, I would probably say  simply that it's a matter they really need to take up with your husband.

In both cases, they've framed their message within the context of "Oh, I wanted to pass along some well-wishes to your husband, but it would seem he deleted me. Do you know how/why/when that happened?" So I've just told them that I'd pass along their well-wishes and left it at that.  >:(
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Bosses, co-workers, clients, fellow students or anyone who doesn't respect your valuable time, or appreciate that you have a life outside of what you do for them. This picture sums it up well:

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

corgilover

People who leave giant wads of hair in the shower drain hidden so that they can't be cleaned up so that by the end of the year one has a mass of rotting hair to be cleaned out and you're pretty sure it's alive.

jumbojak

Who would confuse an M48 with s PanzerIII?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on May 12, 2012, 09:32:15 PM
Movie makers and prop producers who think the sort of people who go and watch a movie about WWII won't notice the difference!!!!  >:( >:(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on May 12, 2012, 10:58:38 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on May 12, 2012, 09:32:15 PM
Movie makers and prop producers who think the sort of people who go and watch a movie about WWII won't notice the difference!!!!  >:( >:(

I got annoyed that all the german tanks in "Captain America" were american made M113 APCs.
And I still haven't forgiven the "Top Gun" people for calling an F-5 a Mig 28.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

harte.beest

my pet peeve is the Septuagint

Guardian85

Quote from: harte.beest on May 13, 2012, 05:14:48 AM
my pet peeve is the Septuagint

I actually had to look that up...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Harmonie

When, in a place like a forum topic about homosexuality, somebody posts saying that they have no problem with homosexuality, or they support it, but then they have to include "It's their personal choice" or anything of that nature.

I did not choose my sexuality, and the 'choice' to act on my sexuality is not something that we should really be making any meaningful distinction as a choice because the option to not do so goes against my nature. So when anybody says anything like that it really confuses me.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Amicale

Quote from: Radiant on May 15, 2012, 01:02:51 AM
When, in a place like a forum topic about homosexuality, somebody posts saying that they have no problem with homosexuality, or they support it, but then they have to include "It's their personal choice" or anything of that nature.

I did not choose my sexuality, and the 'choice' to act on my sexuality is not something that we should really be making any meaningful distinction as a choice because the option to not do so goes against my nature. So when anybody says anything like that it really confuses me.

I'm with you. People often mean well when they say that, because saying "it's their personal choice" is like saying "it's their business, not mine" or "I support their choice to live the way they want to live" (as opposed to staying in the closet our entire lives, I guess). They just word it awkwardly.

I'd find it very odd if I said I have no problem with people being straight and I support those who are because that's their personal choice; they'd automatically protest and say "hey, I didn't choose this, this is just the way I am."

Well, same goes for most of us who identify somewhere along the LGBTQ spectrum. If you're bi, you have a choice in terms of who you date (male, female, trans, etc etc) or who you're romantic with, that's true. And if you're gay, you can of course choose whichever partner(s) you prefer -- but the very orientation itself isn't generally a choice for most of us.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Crow

Another post reminded me.

You are not an artist unless you make art for a living, just as a lawyer is only a lawyer if it is his profession, they may have the skills necessary to do so but unless they are active in the field they are not such. You can be artistic, you can be a talented drawer, painter, writer, musician, and/or photographer (even though none of these are needed to be an artist all that is required is an strong imagination and the ability to delegate concisely) but unless you are producing art for a living then you are not an artist. *End rant*
Retired member.