News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Buying an interesting looking used book at a rummage sale that is 346 pages in length, only to discover that pages 340 through 346 have either fallen out or have been torn out. Ack!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Anne D.

Quote from: Amicale on March 25, 2012, 06:47:25 PM
Buying an interesting looking used book at a rummage sale that is 346 pages in length, only to discover that pages 340 through 346 have either fallen out or have been torn out. Ack!

Oh, man. That's a bummer. That happened to me once with a brand-new book I bought at Barnes and Noble. It had been bound with about 30 pages just missing from the middle. Didn't discover it till I was reading it and really into the story. B&N didn't give me any problem with exchanging it, though.

corgilover

:( Hope you find a new copy of the book. That's why I've converted to Kindles.

Amicale

Quote from: corgilover on March 26, 2012, 10:50:45 PM

I love my Kindle. :) However, there's also a great joy I take, in just holding a book and turning the pages. I wound up finding another copy of it at the used bookstore by my house, and because I know the girl who works there, she was VERY nice and let me photocopy the last few pages, so I am happy now. But I STILL think that before someone puts on a rummage sale, they ought to quickly check over the books they're selling to make sure there aren't a bunch of obviously torn out pages/damage to the book. Then again, I should have checked it before I bought it, so mea culpa too.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

corgilover

Quote from: Amicale on March 26, 2012, 10:56:53 PM

I love my Kindle. :) However, there's also a great joy I take, in just holding a book and turning the pages. I wound up finding another copy of it at the used bookstore by my house, and because I know the girl who works there, she was VERY nice and let me photocopy the last few pages, so I am happy now. But I STILL think that before someone puts on a rummage sale, they ought to quickly check over the books they're selling to make sure there aren't a bunch of obviously torn out pages/damage to the book. Then again, I should have checked it before I bought it, so mea culpa too.

You know Latin? SQUEE! I thought my mom, her brothers, my cousins and I were the only people on the planet who still referred to things in Latin. Semper Ubi Sub Ubi!

Ali

Quote from: corgilover on March 26, 2012, 11:13:25 PM

You know Latin? SQUEE! I thought my mom, her brothers, my cousins and I were the only people on the planet who still referred to things in Latin. Semper Ubi Sub Ubi!

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!  (Learned that joke from the romantic comedy, The Hanmaid's Tale by good ol' Maggie Atwood*)

* I'm feeling quite silly at the moment.

corgilover

Quote from: Ali on March 26, 2012, 11:19:41 PM
Quote from: corgilover on March 26, 2012, 11:13:25 PM

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!  (Learned that joke from the romantic comedy, The Hanmaid's Tale by good ol' Maggie Atwood*)

* I'm feeling quite silly at the moment.

Do not light fire to you bastards? I'm assuming that's the translation.

The Magic Pudding

I like the title of Terry Pratchett's novel featuring vampires, Carpe Jugulum.

musicality

Cracking knuckles.
The misuse of you're & your.
Immaturity in the classroom.
"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

Tank

Quote from: musicality on April 18, 2012, 10:43:06 AM
Cracking knuckles.
Growing up must have been hard!  ;)  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

musicality

Quote from: Tank on April 18, 2012, 10:51:33 AM
Cracking knuckles.

Lol...my mind is still reminiscing of class today...being put in a classroom full of jocks and freshman is pretty fun  ;D
possibilities."

Tank

Quote from: musicality on April 18, 2012, 10:53:46 AM
Cracking knuckles.

Lol...my mind is still reminiscing of class today...being put in a classroom full of jocks and freshman is pretty fun  ;D
Flirt, tease or torture?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

musicality

Quote from: Tank on April 18, 2012, 11:05:34 AM
Cracking knuckles.

Flirt, tease or torture?

I wish it was the first. Even the second would suffice. But it is much more the latter.
possibilities."

Tank

Quote from: musicality on April 18, 2012, 11:12:16 AM
Cracking knuckles.

Flirt, tease or torture?

I wish it was the first. Even the second would suffice. But it is much more the latter.
Sorry, but if that's a recent photo of you in your avatar then you must be joking!! Just that smile is flirtatious!!  :D

musicality

Quote from: Tank on April 18, 2012, 11:14:29 AM
Quote from: musicality on April 18, 2012, 11:12:16 AM
Cracking knuckles.

Flirt, tease or torture?

Sorry, but if that's a recent photo of you in your avatar then you must be joking!! Just that smile is flirtatious!!  :D

;D :) aww thank you! I am blessed with photogenic abilities. Haha
possibilities."