Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Amicale on March 11, 2012, 05:41:40 PM
Quote from: RunFromMyLife on March 11, 2012, 05:39:09 PM
I actually enjoy doing dishes. I find it relaxing.

*slinks away*

That's OK, I love vacuuming, mowing the lawn, and shovelling snow. It's something weird with me, lol, I like seeing nice, straight patterns cut across a surface.
And The Asmo, he loves being displeased about named chores.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

*slinks away*
I like ironing, as long as I don't have to do it. One of life's little pleasures is a crisp ironed hanky on first use.

*also slinks away*
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

philosoraptor

*slinks away*

Feel free to come visit my kitchen and "relax" to your heart's content!

My pet peeve is that I generally do the cooking, and my husband is *supposed to* wash the dishes.  What usually happens is he lets the dishes pile up in the sink and on the counter until I have no room to cook and threaten to go on strike before he does them.  I hate doing dishes because I worked in the university dining hall dish room to pay my way through college.  No more damn dishes!  ::)
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

AnimatedDirt

That's OK, I love vacuuming, mowing the lawn, and shovelling snow. It's something weird with me, lol, I like seeing nice, straight patterns cut across a surface.

These I like too...and for the same reasons.  Don't you hate when a newly vacuumed carpet with "perfect" lines gets walked on?!  I also tend to separate the groceries...colds with colds, frozen foods, fresh veggies, fresh fruits, breads (second to last with eggs being last), all the dry cereals, cleaners, soaps...and so on.  I get more compliments from the baggers at the grocery stores...

You wouldn't know it from putting the food away.  I don't care what goes where when it all gets home as long as everything goes where it needs to go.

btw...I also rake my flowerbeds so the dirt looks like a zen garden.  My yard is nice, but not necessarily perfect as the "zen" raking might suggest.  ;)

Asherah

I hate it when my neighbor shows up at my house, uninvited, and without calling first and invariably rings the doorbell while my kids are napping!! ARG!!!
As a scientist, I am hostile to fundamentalist religion because it actively debauches the scientific enterprise. It teaches us not to change our minds, and not to want to know exciting things that are available to be known. It subverts science and saps the intellect. - Dawkins

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 12, 2012, 06:52:18 PMI get more compliments from the baggers at the grocery stores...

That makes sense, placate the obsessive with a compliment and let them go freak out in another shop.

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 12, 2012, 06:52:18 PM
These I like too...and for the same reasons.  Don't you hate when a newly vacuumed carpet with "perfect" lines gets walked on?! 

No, I resent that vacuum lines aren't created and curved with regard to my usual path.  Why am forced to walk crab fashion to reach my sock drawer and maintain order?

Amicale

These I like too...and for the same reasons.  Don't you hate when a newly vacuumed carpet with "perfect" lines gets walked on?!  I also tend to separate the groceries...colds with colds, frozen foods, fresh veggies, fresh fruits, breads (second to last with eggs being last), all the dry cereals, cleaners, soaps...and so on.  I get more compliments from the baggers at the grocery stores...

You wouldn't know it from putting the food away.  I don't care what goes where when it all gets home as long as everything goes where it needs to go.

btw...I also rake my flowerbeds so the dirt looks like a zen garden.  My yard is nice, but not necessarily perfect as the "zen" raking might suggest.  ;)

LOL  :D I could have written this entire post, word for word. Including the zen raking! Yay, I've found a kindred bag packer and flowerbed raker!  ;)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asherah on March 16, 2012, 03:31:32 AM
I hate it when my neighbor shows up at my house, uninvited, and without calling first and invariably rings the doorbell while my kids are napping!! ARG!!!

I'm the exact opposite.  I would hate it if I would have to be so quiet in my own home when my kids are sleeping.  So when we had our kids, we decided that we were not going to tip-toe around the house while they slept.  Us nor our friends.  I would purposely vacuum the house and in their room when they went down for a nap (not every single time).  Life was normal.  We watched TV, we talked in normal tones...Aside from when they were infants, they never had a problem sleeping with noise.  Neither of them.  We even had parties and when it came time for them to go to bed, they did.  We'd continue to party.

Now, all parents are not the same.  Maybe a simple sign on the door:  KIDS NAPPING.  DO NOT RING BELL OR KNOCK. - might solve your problem?

Oh...btw, it helped that we lived less than 800' from an active military runway.

Quote from: Amicale on March 16, 2012, 05:52:17 AM
LOL  :D I could have written this entire post, word for word. Including the zen raking! Yay, I've found a kindred bag packer and flowerbed raker!  ;)

:)

Guardian85

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 16, 2012, 02:49:00 PM

Oh...btw, it helped that we lived less than 800' from an active military runway.
I used to live under the final approach for the local airbase. I credit this for my ability to recognize aircraft based soley on their sound, and my ability to sleep through almost anything. Including my alarm clock!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 16, 2012, 03:55:30 AM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 12, 2012, 06:52:18 PMI get more compliments from the baggers at the grocery stores...

That makes sense, placate the obsessive with a compliment and let them go freak out in another shop.

These I like too...and for the same reasons.  Don't you hate when a newly vacuumed carpet with "perfect" lines gets walked on?! 

No, I resent that vacuum lines aren't created and curved with regard to my usual path.  Why am forced to walk crab fashion to reach my sock drawer and maintain order?

*snerk*  ;D ;D ;D

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 16, 2012, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 16, 2012, 02:49:00 PM

I used to live under the final approach for the local airbase. I credit this for my ability to recognize aircraft based soley on their sound, and my ability to sleep through almost anything. Including my alarm clock!

Nice!  I would say, though, that the landing noise is far less than the take-off.  We were smack off the take-off of the runway.  Living there during Desert Storm meant that there was a constant, round-the-clock, training flights every few minutes...or so it seemed.

If you like, check out a satellite of Hill AFB, Utah.  Just off the south end of the runway and just south of the golf course, you'll see an area where there was housing.  I don't know when it was removed.  I finished my 4 yrs in '93 and we moved out from there.  It was considered "sub-standard housing" and so everyone that lived there, was paid to live there...in that even though we were being given "free" housing, because it was sub-standard, we were paid, I think it was 15%-20% of the housing allowance had we lived off base.

Not sure if this g00gle maps link will work.  If not you can just type in 'Hill AFB, UT'

The Magic Pudding

Intermittent computer problems.
Motherboards, if you're going to die just die, don't stumble around like in a parody Shakespearean death scene.  >:(

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 24, 2012, 01:23:09 PM
Intermittent computer problems.
Motherboards, if you're going to die just die, don't stumble around like in a parody Shakespearean death scene.  >:(

You could lend a dying computer a hand, you know ;D

Or two arms, maybe. ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

That would probably void my warranty.
I'm probably covered from an insurance angle,
I didn't invite the hammer guy.

But who is dead?
Video card?
Motherboard?
Television or sound card?
After near a year is my memory found imperfect?

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 24, 2012, 04:45:03 PM
But who is dead?
Video card?
Motherboard?
Television or sound card?
After near a year is my memory found imperfect?
Fried your hardware?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.