News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluttershine

class mates who won't shut up when the teacher is trying to make them listen.

Buddy

Quote from: fluttershine on January 19, 2012, 09:26:34 AM
class mates who won't shut up when the teacher is trying to make them listen.

THIS. I hate it when people will not shut up when the teacher is talking.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

AnimatedDirt

Freezing cold shaving cream in a nice steamy shower at 6:30 am

Asmodean

Freezing cold water in a nice, steamy shower when some asshole on the same boiler starts washing dishes.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on January 19, 2012, 04:10:04 PM
Freezing cold water in a nice, steamy shower when some asshole on the same boiler starts washing dishes.

That right there is my biggest pet hate by far. Or house mates eating my food.
Retired member.

Amicale

Quote from: Crow on January 19, 2012, 04:13:01 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 19, 2012, 04:10:04 PM

That right there is my biggest pet hate by far. Or house mates eating my food.

I've got a cure for that: when living with a couple girlfriends, we had guy friends next door who would continually come over and, being typical hungry young guys, raid the fridge. It annoyed us to NO end. Finally, whenever we cooked or baked anything decent that we didn't want them looking at, like an awesome pasta dish or triple-chocolate brownies... we'd put tinfoil over the top of it, and put a post-it note on it that read something like 'tofu sesame seed surprise', or 'whole grain vegetarian crunch'.... and our food NEVER got touched.  :D Oddly, they never figured it out.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 27, 2012, 02:59:44 PM
GODDAMNYOU STUDENT LOANS  >:(

I feel the need to express my annoyance so strongly that I build this rage comic.

In the UK student loans are given out by the government. You pay them back through your tax over a 25 year period. You don't start paying them back until you're earning over £24,000 PA and then it's like £20/month and taken out of your wage at source. If you never get a good enough job to pay the loan off what is left after 25 years is written off.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Harmonie

Ironically what I can actually classify as a pet peeve (and not a major annoyance on society) is other people's pet peeves.

Like some of the things my sister gets annoyed at. Like she flipped out once over somebody wearing sunglasses inside and went off on a long rant about it, and I'm like "Why does it even matter? Geez!". Or my guy friends who are obsessed with vehicles and when we go places together they always have to make comments about everybody's cars and modifications they've made to them. Perhaps it's just because I couldn't care less about cars, but I also wonder why they feel so compelled to comment on this stuff all of the time as it doesn't even matter!

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Buddy

Quote from: Radiant on January 27, 2012, 04:43:28 PM
Ironically what I can actually classify as a pet peeve (and not a major annoyance on society) is other people's pet peeves.

Like some of the things my sister gets annoyed at. Like she flipped out once over somebody wearing sunglasses inside and went off on a long rant about it, and I'm like "Why does it even matter? Geez!". Or my guy friends who are obsessed with vehicles and when we go places together they always have to make comments about everybody's cars and modifications they've made to them. Perhaps it's just because I couldn't care less about cars, but I also wonder why they feel so compelled to comment on this stuff all of the time as it doesn't even matter!

When my brother talks about cars, I just smile and nod.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xXxWashburnxXx

Honestly I'm a guy and don't get the whole car thing. or sports. I just have a lack of caring.
Evolution is JUST a theory. Ya know, like gravity!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2012, 03:03:28 PM

I feel the need to express my annoyance so strongly that I build this rage comic.

In the UK student loans are given out by the government. You pay them back through your tax over a 25 year period. You don't start paying them back until you're earning over £24,000 PA and then it's like £20/month and taken out of your wage at source. If you never get a good enough job to pay the loan off what is left after 25 years is written off.

Oh, if only Canada was like that. Nope. You have 6 months after you graduate from your program and, come hell or high water, they're after you.
You used to be able to declare bankruptcy if they were completely ruining your life, but you can't now until you've spent at least 10 years paying them off (not that I would anyway, but still)..

Getting them is frustrating and paying them is frustrating.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2012, 03:03:28 PM

That's what we need.

Our loans are from the government and we can postpone them no end, but they (almost) never just go away. A small part gets written off for every passed exam.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

The system here is similar to what Tank described, there is no write off after 25 years, only after death.  I think the debt is supposed to represent 25% of the actual cost of the course.

Quote from: MariaEvri on February 20, 2011, 11:39:02 AM
my one
and biggest
pet peeve is:
they're, their, there

makes my hair stand to see them used incorrectly-and I'm not even english

I am the same way. I only ever correct my own grammar; never anyone else's. At times, people have gotten mad at me for correcting my own grammar. Those people became another pet peeve for me.