News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

I always wonder what those women are doing to get pee all over the seat anyway.  Sit down, crazies!  If you're icked out by sitting, place a protective layer of toilet paper down like a normal person and stop peeing on the seat.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on January 17, 2012, 09:16:47 PM
Urine is sterile though, no?

So they say.  C'mon though, still gross!  If I'm going to be smeared in someone else's bodily fluids, I sort of expect them to buy me dinner first.   ;D

Wessik

Great! White time should I pick you up? (Now where did I put that ball gag...:D)
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Ali

Quote from: Wessik on January 17, 2012, 09:51:44 PM
Great! White time should I pick you up? (Now where did I put that ball gag...:D)

Haha, you wouldn't want me in this state.  I've got more snot than face at this point.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 17, 2012, 06:14:27 PMMy buddy didn't know the guy's name, but said he was a "black guy".  Well, my friend got spoken to for 'racism'.  He didn't get written up officially.

If they wrote it up it would look questionable.
Some people may find it objectionable and offensive to be described by a physical feature.
It's also objectionable and offensive to be accused of racism for using a broadly used word without malice.
What happened to black pride anyway?  Well I know its still there, this Obama wiki mentions blacks, Congressional Black Caucus, National Association of Black Journalists, black churches, black liberation church.
I actually see a place for political correctness, I don't want to excuse jerks being jerks, it doesn't have to be a parody of itself though.  Ridiculous claims for correctness actually weakens the call for a more civil society, it opens itself to ridicule giving people an excuse to reject all.

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 17, 2012, 11:01:14 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 17, 2012, 06:14:27 PMMy buddy didn't know the guy's name, but said he was a "black guy".  Well, my friend got spoken to for 'racism'.  He didn't get written up officially.

If they wrote it up it would look questionable.
Some people may find it objectionable and offensive to be described by a physical feature.
It's also objectionable and offensive to be accused of racism for using a broadly used word without malice.
What happened to black pride anyway?  Well I know its still there, this Obama wiki mentions blacks, Congressional Black Caucus, National Association of Black Journalists, black churches, black liberation church.
I actually see a place for political correctness, I don't want to excuse jerks being jerks, it doesn't have to be a parody of itself though.

I agree.  Black isn't the word that dare not speak it's name.  I think if you're describing someone, it's ridiculous to feel like you can't mention their skin color if that would help identify them.  So if someone is the only black guy in a department, it's silly not to say "black guy."  Same thing, if someone is the only white guy in their department, it's silly not to say "white guy."  I don't think it's wrong to acknowledge that you have noticed that someone is a certain ethnicity - humans are built to put things into categories - it's how our brains make sense of the world.  The bad part is when you put judgement behind those categories, like if you think "He's black, therefore he must be (fill in the blank.)"

m.condon

I'm a girl that lives with four guys so I got over ALOT of my pet peeves. LOL. But i still hate it when ppl try to continue a conversation while I'm going to the bathroom, eating straight out of the potatoe chip bag, pissing on the seat... Alot of germ related pet peeves. Not helped by my guy roommates
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ali

Quote from: m.condon on January 18, 2012, 01:14:28 AM
I'm a girl that lives with four guys so I got over ALOT of my pet peeves. LOL. But i still hate it when ppl try to continue a conversation while I'm going to the bathroom, eating straight out of the potatoe chip bag, pissing on the seat... Alot of germ related pet peeves. Not helped by my guy roommates

There are people who *don't* eat chips straight out of the bag?  :o

Wessik

Well, I suppose that if someone is black, and no one can remember his name because they just see the color of his skin, he might have reason to be pissed. This problem is rampant here.

I'm a grammar nazi, but not in the way one might think. I relish the debate of semantics and linguistic intricacies, to the point where most of what people say I take issue with, on the grounds that their words are either not specific enough, or mean something other than what their intent is. I can be a real bitch about it. :D
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Davin

Quote from: Wessik on January 18, 2012, 09:31:25 PM
Well, I suppose that if someone is black, and no one can remember his name because they just see the color of his skin, he might have reason to be pissed. This problem is rampant here.

I'm a grammar nazi, but not in the way one might think. I relish the debate of semantics and linguistic intricacies, to the point where most of what people say I take issue with, on the grounds that their words are either not specific enough, or mean something other than what their intent is. I can be a real bitch about it. :D
I think that Grammar Nazi's enjoy nothing.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ali

Quote from: Wessik on January 18, 2012, 09:31:25 PM

Yeah, I can see that.  I was picturing more like someone asking "Wait, now which one is Mike?  I've spoken to him on the phone, but we've never been introduced." and instead of saying "Uh, black hair...brown eyes....short....uh...." I just cut to the chase and say "The black guy in IT."  If I was the only brunette or whatever in my department, I would expect someone to say about me "The brunette in Client Relations."  On the same token, if like half of the guys in IT are black, that might not be descriptive enough, so you would want to say "Short, drives a Honda," whatever.

To the grammar nazi thing - I have to say that I actually enjoy it when people "play with" grammar - make their voices more colorful and real.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ali on January 18, 2012, 09:37:22 PM"The brunette in Client Relations." 

Some woman don't like being called brunette.  I can see their point, I have dark hair and no one has ever called me a "brunet."  It is possibly more an American expression.  I associate its use with American men from old 40s/50s film, someone like Sinatra.  It does seem objectifying.

QuoteYes it is the feminine term of Brunet which comes from brune or brun in Latin meaning brown but it is French yes. Brunet is boy with brown hair, and Brunette is girl with brown hair and once again is those words are French.
P.S. it litterally means "little brown haired girl." but now just means any brown hair girl.

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 19, 2012, 12:14:43 AM
Quote from: Ali on January 18, 2012, 09:37:22 PM"The brunette in Client Relations."  

Some woman don't like being called brunette.  I can see their point, I have dark hair and no one has ever called me a "brunet."  It is possibly more an American expression.  I associate its use with American men from old 40s/50s film, someone like Sinatra.  It does seem objectifying.

QuoteYes it is the feminine term of Brunet which comes from brune or brun in Latin meaning brown but it is French yes. Brunet is boy with brown hair, and Brunette is girl with brown hair and once again is those words are French.
P.S. it litterally means "little brown haired girl." but now just means any brown hair girl.

Huh.  I never heard of anyone objecting to "brunette" (although I agree that now that I think of it, I've never heard of a man being called "brunet" or "brunette.")  I've never really thought about it before.  *Retreats to corner to think*

Amicale

Pet peeves:

- City bus drivers that are so busy talking to current passengers that they drive right past you while you're waiting at a bus stop. Ack!

- Someone who coughs and/or sneezes into their hand, and then extends their hand to shake yours. Repeat after me: kleenex and hand sanitizer, folks!

- People who walk their dogs, but refuse to pick up the dog poop. It's your pet, it's their poop, you're responsible, pick it up. And especially DON'T encourage your pet to do their business on my lawn. If you insist on being inconsiderate, take your pet to the dog park.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan