News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on January 10, 2012, 11:39:28 PM
I'm a firm believer that kids NEED a little dirt and grime in order to develop a healthy immune system.  I'm not all "Hey T, why don't you go pick up that dog poop and then put your fingers in your mouth..." or anything, but I'm a firm believer that a little bit of dirt is good for a kid.

Me too.

Pet Peeve:  I have friends that insist on absolute quiet when their kids are napping.

I laugh to myself a bit because all they do is raise a kid that is a light sleeper and easily startled (IMHO).  I raised my kids to sleep through just about anything.  We used to live 500 ft. off the mid-pt of an active Air Force runway with jets taking off at all hours of the day and night the first 3 years.  Added to this, I never tried to keep the house quiet when they were napping.  On the contrary, those hours were best spent catching up on cleaning, vacuuming, watching tv...all that good stuff.  That, and I simply didn't want to tip-toe around my own house.  My kids are able to sleep wherever, whenever and under almost any noisy condition.

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 10, 2012, 11:51:13 PM
I'm a firm believer that kids NEED a little dirt and grime in order to develop a healthy immune system.  I'm not all "Hey T, why don't you go pick up that dog poop and then put your fingers in your mouth..." or anything, but I'm a firm believer that a little bit of dirt is good for a kid.

Me too.

Pet Peeve:  I have friends that insist on absolute quiet when their kids are napping.

I laugh to myself a bit because all they do is raise a kid that is a light sleeper and easily startled (IMHO).  I raised my kids to sleep through just about anything.  We used to live 500 ft. off the mid-pt of an active Air Force runway with jets taking off at all hours of the day and night the first 3 years.  Added to this, I never tried to keep the house quiet when they were napping.  On the contrary, those hours were best spent catching up on cleaning, vacuuming, watching tv...all that good stuff.  That, and I simply didn't want to tip-toe around my own house.  My kids are able to sleep wherever, whenever and under almost any noisy condition.

Same here.  Not about the jets taking off, but I have never tried to keep quiet while my son is sleeping.  And he's a very good sleeper.  I also refuse to let him sleep in my bed because I've known too many people who let their kids sleep with them and then never got them out.  No thanks. 

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on January 11, 2012, 01:03:41 AM
Same here.  Not about the jets taking off, but I have never tried to keep quiet while my son is sleeping.  And he's a very good sleeper.  I also refuse to let him sleep in my bed because I've known too many people who let their kids sleep with them and then never got them out.  No thanks. 

I don't recall any kid ever needing quiet to sleep.  Jittery adults with a lot on their minds, yes -- kids, no.

Pet peeve of mine: spitting in public.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

Someone waiting in line, even though they are five feet away from the counter!! Happened to me in the libray today. Bitch was so rude too T_T
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 10, 2012, 11:51:13 PM
I'm a firm believer that kids NEED a little dirt and grime in order to develop a healthy immune system.  I'm not all "Hey T, why don't you go pick up that dog poop and then put your fingers in your mouth..." or anything, but I'm a firm believer that a little bit of dirt is good for a kid.

Me too.

Pet Peeve:  I have friends that insist on absolute quiet when their kids are napping.

I laugh to myself a bit because all they do is raise a kid that is a light sleeper and easily startled (IMHO).  I raised my kids to sleep through just about anything.  We used to live 500 ft. off the mid-pt of an active Air Force runway with jets taking off at all hours of the day and night the first 3 years.  Added to this, I never tried to keep the house quiet when they were napping.  On the contrary, those hours were best spent catching up on cleaning, vacuuming, watching tv...all that good stuff.  That, and I simply didn't want to tip-toe around my own house.  My kids are able to sleep wherever, whenever and under almost any noisy condition.

Yep! Same!
I've had a couple of rowdy ladies poker nights where our son's been asleep in the next room and he never wakes up! It's quite handy, actually.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 11, 2012, 01:59:41 AM
Quote from: Ali on January 11, 2012, 01:03:41 AM

I don't recall any kid ever needing quiet to sleep.  Jittery adults with a lot on their minds, yes -- kids, no.

Use your hanky  ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on January 11, 2012, 08:55:14 AM
Use your hanky  ;)

Or swallow it, for crying out loud.  I'm sure we've all swallowed worse.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 12, 2012, 02:05:35 AM
Quote from: Tank on January 11, 2012, 08:55:14 AM
Use your hanky  ;)

Or swallow it, for crying out loud.  I'm sure we've all swallowed worse.

I always carry napkins ^^
Spitting in public should be considered a bio-hazard.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Wessik

What are my pet peeves...? Hmmm... waiting. I suppose. And facetiousness. Arrogance, on the other hand, amuses and entertains me. :)
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Anne D.

People who leave some sort of bodily liquid on the toilet seat. So very rude.

Crow

Its a silly one but every time I hear a phrase such as "Irish-American", "African-American", "Italian-American", ect it really grates me the wrong way. Why not just say American, does it matter if the persons ancestry originated from another area of the world when clarifying their nationality. To hear a person say something like "I'm African-British" just sounds stupid they are British doesn't matter where their ancestors came from.
Retired member.

Buddy

Quote from: Crow on January 17, 2012, 05:46:59 PM
Its a silly one but every time I hear a phrase such as "Irish-American", "African-American", "Italian-American", ect it really grates me the wrong way. Why not just say American, does it matter if the persons ancestry originated from another area of the world when clarifying their nationality. To hear a person say something like "I'm African-British" just sounds stupid they are British doesn't matter where their ancestors came from.

I feel like African-American has become a PC way of saying black in America. It's dumb of course, because not every black person is going to be from America. Now it seems like you can't say black when describing a person anymore without someone being offended.  ::)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 17, 2012, 05:53:46 PM
I feel like African-American has become a PC way of saying black in America. It's dumb of course, because not every black person is going to be from America. Now it seems like you can't say black when describing a person anymore without someone being offended.  ::)

Related to this, one of my friends works for a television company.  The other day he was being asked who, from I.T., had done some installations on a computer.  My buddy didn't know the guy's name, but said he was a "black guy".  Well, my friend got spoken to for 'racism'.  He didn't get written up officially.

So is it really 'racism' to describe a person as 'a black guy' when in fact he/she is black?

My pet peeve is the number of hoops one has to jump through to stay politically correct sometimes.  On one of the new season television sitcoms, Rob!, there is a segment where a person says, "Oh, you are Hispanic or Latino, I don't know which is offensive..."  The answer comes back, "Well, all those are offensive."

Buddy

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 17, 2012, 06:14:27 PM
Related to this, one of my friends works for a television company.  The other day he was being asked who, from I.T., had done some installations on a computer.  My buddy didn't know the guy's name, but said he was a "black guy".  Well, my friend got spoken to for 'racism'.  He didn't get written up officially.

So is it really 'racism' to describe a person as 'a black guy' when in fact he/she is black?

My pet peeve is the number of hoops one has to jump through to stay politically correct sometimes.  On one of the new season television sitcoms, Rob!, there is a segment where a person says, "Oh, you are Hispanic or Latino, I don't know which is offensive..."  The answer comes back, "Well, all those are offensive."

I guess if someone is allowed to describe somebody using the term "white", why is it suddenly offensive to describe someone using "black"? I don't get mad when people call me Swedish.  ???
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

corgilover

Quote from: Anne D. on January 14, 2012, 11:08:22 PM
People who leave some sort of bodily liquid on the toilet seat. So very rude.

That just happened to me today! *shudders*

How hard is it to wipe properly?