News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 04, 2012, 02:31:05 PM
I think you should give up your plans for world domination and pursue a career in marriage counselling. :D
What makes you think the two are unrelated?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Cerulean

Most of mine are traffic-related.

One thing that makes me IRATE is when someone finds themself in the wrong lane - and they just stop and sit there until they can get over. I would NEVER inconveniece other people like that. Move up to the next intersection and turn the f*** around!

superfes

Quote from: Cerulean on January 04, 2012, 10:07:10 PM
Most of mine are traffic-related.

One thing that makes me IRATE is when someone finds themself in the wrong lane - and they just stop and sit there until they can get over. I would NEVER inconveniece other people like that. Move up to the next intersection and turn the f*** around!

I'm totally down with that, that happened to me just this morning >_>
Nothing teaches the true teachings of Jesus Christ better than not following them.

Liar For Jesus

Quote from: fester30 on February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM
What are your pet peeve talking points that do not involve religion?  For example, mine is:

I've heard this on TV news, and repeated by family, friends, and through Facebook chain mails.

Members of Congress get their entire salary for the rest of their lives if they serve just one term.

FALSE.

The retirement plan takes 5 years to vest, and then they do not get to receive payments until age 62 (unless they serve 20 years, then they can start collecting at 50, or 25 years, then they can start collecting right away).  A member of the House of Representatives do not get any retirement benefits for serving one or two terms (at 2 years each).  A member of the Senate, after one 6 year term will begin receiving benefits at age 62.  They never get their full final salary in retirement.  It is an average of their highest three years of salary combined with a formula for number of years served, not to exceed 80% of their final salary.  For example, a member who served 22 years finishing with a high three average salary of 153,900 would get just under 85 grand a year.  It's a comparable percentage to the pension of a U.S. military member versus his/her high three salary with the same 22 years.  The biggest difference here is that military members have to serve 20 years for their pension to vest.

Yes, I understand they get great benefits.  My point is you don't have to outright lie to show this.

My pet peave used to be that Raid (bug spray) tv commercial that always ended with the guy saying :  'Kills Bugs Dead'    ....as if you can kill a bug less than dead sometimes !

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Struggling Atheist on January 07, 2012, 11:43:52 PM
My pet peave used to be that Raid (bug spray) tv commercial that always ended with the guy saying :  'Kills Bugs Dead'    ....as if you can kill a bug less than dead sometimes !

Ah no I appreciate things being killed dead.
I don't want zombie insects crawling in my ears.

corgilover

My biggest pet peeve is when Lysol commercials state that their products kill viruses when scientists have never stated that viruses can be killed.

Tank

Quote from: corgilover on January 10, 2012, 08:49:51 AM
My biggest pet peeve is when Lysol commercials state that their products kill viruses when scientists have never stated that viruses can be killed.

By some measure viruses aren't actually alive. Now this sort of claim is going to bug me!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

I just hate Lysol commercials in general. They always make me think of overprotective mothers who deprave their children of playing in dirt.  :'(
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 10, 2012, 12:57:15 PM
I just hate Lysol commercials in general. They always make me think of overprotective mothers who deprave their children of playing in dirt.  :'(

That sounds disturbing.  ???

Buddy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 10, 2012, 01:10:24 PM

Disturbing how?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 10, 2012, 01:24:31 PM

Disturbing how?

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 10, 2012, 01:28:19 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 10, 2012, 01:24:31 PM
I just hate Lysol commercials in general. They always make me think of overprotective mothers who depraive their children of playing in dirt.  :'(

That sounds disturbing.  ???

Disturbing how?
Methink that was what was meant.  ???

(Hard to see on a low-res screen. Strikethrough a, replace with i)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

corgilover

Quote from: Tank on January 10, 2012, 08:57:31 AM

By some measure viruses aren't actually alive. Now this sort of claim is going to bug me!

Huzzah! someone else who understands the reason behind my pet peeve. My friends think I'm nuts when I shout at the television whenever a Lysol commercial is on.

Recusant

Though it may be buncombe, there is an idea known as the hygiene hypothesis, which essentially says that the modern obsession with cleanliness actually has a detrimental effect on overall health. On the other hand, you will find people who disagree with the hygiene hypothesis. I'm undecided on the issue, but thought it was somewhat relevant to the last few posts, so thought I'd mention it.

I was never depraved of playing in dirt as a kid, by the way.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ali

YES.  My husband's cousin is like that.  The first time we ever went over to their house after their daughter was born, they made us take off our shoes and walk in our socks on a plastic runner because the daughter was going to start crawling....someday....in like 6 months....

I'm a firm believer that kids NEED a little dirt and grime in order to develop a healthy immune system.  I'm not all "Hey T, why don't you go pick up that dog poop and then put your fingers in your mouth..." or anything, but I'm a firm believer that a little bit of dirt is good for a kid.