News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genericguy

Also...

"I could care less". Only when used improperly, for example... "I could care less what you think". Well, so what your saying is you DO care what I think?

Tank

Quote from: Genericguy on December 29, 2011, 10:31:17 AM
Also...

"I could care less". Only when used improperly, for example... "I could care less what you think". Well, so what your saying is you DO care what I think?
Ah! In the UK it's "I couldn't care less!" much more accurate.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Ye the "I could care less what you think" thing doesn't make sense.
Maybe if it is supposed to imply something extra it'd be OK.
Something like "I could care less what you think but I'd have to have a lobotomy first."

Genericguy

Back to the "all of a sudden" thing... Is it possible to divide a "sudden"?

Genericguy

I was sitting on my couch, and then, 1/5th of a sudden I was asleep!

Tank

Quote from: Genericguy on December 29, 2011, 10:53:45 AM
Back to the "all of a sudden" thing... Is it possible to divide a "sudden"?
Not if sudden means instantaneous. Does sudden have a duration?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

lomfs24

Quote from: Tank on December 29, 2011, 10:33:21 AM
Quote from: Genericguy on December 29, 2011, 10:31:17 AM
Also...

Ah! In the UK it's "I couldn't care less!" much more accurate.
"I couldn't care less!" is how I have always learned it as well. However, I think Americans are lazy and slur the whole phrase together. So when it's written, it comes out that way. "I could care less".

No comment on the "all of a sudden" phrase. Because, all of a sudden I couldn't care less.

Melmoth

As a heavily biased person, I think...
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

squidfetish

Quote from: Genericguy on December 29, 2011, 10:20:50 AM
Then might I add a few more pet peeves.

Phrases that make no sense. For example: "All of a sudden"... As apposed to part of a sudden? Maybe someone can help me out with this one?

I remember one of my English teachers would threaten us with death if we ever used that phrase.
reptilian overlord

Ecurb Noselrub

"It's neither here nor there."  Then where the hell is it?

"Every now and then."  This is supposed to mean "occasionally," but if you do something every now and then, you must be doing it all the time.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 29, 2011, 09:38:12 PM
"It's neither here nor there."  Then where the hell is it?
This one depends on the sope of "here" and "there". Let us say "here" is a circle with radius of one meter on which I stand. Let's say "there" is the same size circle, but where you are at. Neither here nor there is then outside either circle.

Used metaphorically, it still boils down to the same thing - something being "somewhere else".
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

carley

my biggest pet peeve is when the cook time on the microwave is stopped early, but the time isn't cleared out. Also, when people use the term "avid reader".

Ali

I hate quotes and pictures in professional email signatures.  For example, one of the ladies in my company has a picture of a giraffe in her email signature.  Another one has a Jesus quote.  Neither one seems to have anything to do with anything.

lomfs24

Quote from: carley on December 30, 2011, 01:57:20 AM
my biggest pet peeve is when the cook time on the microwave is stopped early, but the time isn't cleared out. Also, when people use the term "avid reader".

Yeah the microwave thing bothers me too.

Just out of curiosity though. The avid reader thing? Is it just the phrase "avid reader" or is it anything with the word "avid" in it like, avid fisherman, avid biker, avid walker, etc...? And what bothers you about that phrase?

Siz

Why does my wife leave the bedclothe laundry until new years eve, so that when I go to bed pissed (drunk) and tired I'm left with a naked bed, and have to stumble through putting the duvet cover on by myself while she's undoing her make-up. Fuck, that's annoying!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!