News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHI83

How whenever you argue with someone their best argument is "I'm right and your wrong! Argument over, I win!"

Medusa

Oh boy. You asked...

1 popping gum. It will stop me in my tracks mid sentence. I have been known to stare at poeple and comment just how much they love that gum of theirs. It's like a little switch gets turned on in my head and I go all she hulky.

2. Perpetual Right turn blinker for a mile only to turn left and turn off blinker RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! I've also been known to honk poeple down. I pulled over one car. Got out. Poked my hand through their car and pointed toward the turn signal. Then proceeded to explain what it was used for.

3. Double negative questions. As in: You don't got no lanes do you? Yes. We don't got no lanes. This is usually done by horribly hispanic ghetto cholas (I am Hispanic. I get a pass to call them out on their shit)

4. Asking a direct question and getting a 2 page dissertation on the meaning of 'what do you mean by no exactly?'

She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Ragnar

Mine is the coverage of murdering maniacs by the media. 

For example Stephen Griffiths was found guilty of the murder of three women, and police believe that he may be responsible for three other unsolved murders. 

During police questioning, Griffiths dubbed himself "The Crossbow Cannibal".  Since then every newspaper headline and news bulletin about this case refers to him as "The Crossbow Cannibal", feeding this cretin's ego, sense of anti-hero status, and fulfilling the image he desires.

People who take small cars, designed to be town run abouts, and try to customise them, usually with badly fitting body kits, tinted windows, pearlescent paint, allow wheels which are more expensive than the car, suspension lowered to the point where the wheel arches rub the front tires every time the brake is applied.

They have also probably fitted an induction kit, and an exhaust so big that it looks like it could fire a water melon over The Gherkin*.  They have most likely done that without any thought that induction kits and big bore exhausts will only bring desired effects to cars designed to have high gas flow, by 1, having forced induction (ie turbo charged cars), and/or 2, having a straight through exhaust manifold, and 3, engine mapping to suit.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett.

roy1967

Someone stopping on an on-ramp when needing to merge.     >:( 
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Medusa

Quote from: roy1967 on July 19, 2011, 10:52:21 PM
Someone stopping on an on-ramp when needing to merge.     >:( 
OMG I feel you. The purpose of the on ramp is to give you some safe room and time to 'ramp' up to freeway speed. I see people at complete stops waiting to get in. It drives me nuts!

Tank

Someone stopping on an on-ramp when needing to merge.     >:(  
Oh yes! The problem in the UK isn't quite as bad due to the different junction design, but it still pisses me of following somebody onto the motorway at a crawling pace!  >:(

What got to me in the states were the combined on/off junctions! WTF!! Did the designer work for a repair shop or something?!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ragnar on July 18, 2011, 03:16:30 PM
Mine is the coverage of murdering maniacs by the media. 

For example Stephen Griffiths was found guilty of the murder of three women, and police believe that he may be responsible for three other unsolved murders. 

During police questioning, Griffiths dubbed himself "The Crossbow Cannibal".  Since then every newspaper headline and news bulletin about this case refers to him as "The Crossbow Cannibal", feeding this cretin's ego, sense of anti-hero status, and fulfilling the image he desires.

People who take small cars, designed to be town run abouts, and try to customise them, usually with badly fitting body kits, tinted windows, pearlescent paint, allow wheels which are more expensive than the car, suspension lowered to the point where the wheel arches rub the front tires every time the brake is applied.

They have also probably fitted an induction kit, and an exhaust so big that it looks like it could fire a water melon over The Gherkin*.  They have most likely done that without any thought that induction kits and big bore exhausts will only bring desired effects to cars designed to have high gas flow, by 1, having forced induction (ie turbo charged cars), and/or 2, having a straight through exhaust manifold, and 3, engine mapping to suit.

Yes, and yes.  Might I also add in when the media has shows like the Sapranos, and now Mob-wives, which glorifies mobster life.

No, they are freakin disgusting people who kill people for money and/or drugs. It pisses me off.

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ragnar

Yes, and yes.  Might I also add in when the media has shows like the Sapranos, and now Mob-wives, which glorifies mobster life.

No, they are freakin disgusting people who kill people for money and/or drugs. It pisses me off.

[/quote]

That drives me mad too.  I can understand interest in organised crime, but I'd rather shows like that showed organised crime, and gangsters in their true light.

Probably the best TV portrayal of a gangster that I have seen in recent years is Tom Hardy as Freddie Jackson, in Martina Coles "The Take". 

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett.

fester30

Quote from: Tank on July 20, 2011, 09:28:16 AM
Someone stopping on an on-ramp when needing to merge.     >:(  
Oh yes! The problem in the UK isn't quite as bad due to the different junction design, but it still pisses me of following somebody onto the motorway at a crawling pace!  >:(

What got to me in the states were the combined on/off junctions! WTF!! Did the designer work for a repair shop or something?!!

In Arkansas we have these particularly messy highway ramps.  When you exit the highway, you have to merge onto a parallel access road while checking for traffic going both directions to make sure they yield as they are supposed to do and slowing down to non-highway speeds.  When entering the highway, you cross a lane of oncoming traffic to merge onto a ramp while making sure oncoming traffic does yield as they are supposed to, checking for gaps in highway traffic, and speeding up.

We call these "suicide ramps" here.  The guy who designed them, according to legend, died when he hit an oncoming car that failed to yield for him.  I cannot find anything on the internet to see if that's true, so I think it's probably urban legend that has spread due to the irony.

Abletony

I really hate it when people push in front of you in a queue. Really annoying, it's one of my pet peeves.

Cecilie

Luckily we don't have this problem where i live, but I've seen it on TV an such and that is people who say "like" at least once in every sentence. Drives me insane.
The world's what you create.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Abletony on July 24, 2011, 05:06:35 PM
I really hate it when people push in front of you in a queue. Really annoying, it's one of my pet peeves.
I really hate being pushed in general.  Or when you cross the street, and someone bumps your shoulder hard.   :-[
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

MiiriChan

People that chew with their mouth open and talk with a mouth full of food.  It just irks me to no end to see people do that!

xSilverPhinx

Having to sort to loads of diversions and tons of useless paper. I don't have all the energy in the world, you know!  >:(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Medusa

Quote from: MiiriChan on August 09, 2011, 07:35:15 PM
People that chew with their mouth open and talk with a mouth full of food.  It just irks me to no end to see people do that!
I work in a very Asian city. Apparently it's in their culture to 'smack' their mouths when eating to show they like it. And when they don't like the food they won't do anything. It bugs me to no end when I take my break in the back room. And it's just me and Jimmy and he's just smack smack smacking away!