News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

I'm really tired of getting in arguments with "Agnostics"

Started by Tokage, February 15, 2011, 06:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokage

Just had a longggggg argument on a forum with an agnostic about whether or not atheism is a positive claim. He continued to insist that that I need evidence to back being an Atheist, and that as an Agnostic he's being honest about not being absolutely certain about either claim. I tried to explain to him Atheists are not absolutely certain that God doesn't exist, and that certainty is irrelevant to whether or not you BELIEVE God exists. Getting tired of this agnostic crap..Sorry if I offended any agnostics here

LegendarySandwich

A lot of agnostics and believers alike hold to the idea that agnosticism is a "middle ground" between theism and atheism.

It isn't.

Recusant

Hello, Tokage.  I'm not sure if you've encountered Dawkins' "spectrum of probabilities" regarding the existence of a deity.  The agnostic you've been discussing this with might very well dismiss it, but it's actually a reasonable way to differentiate between various positions on the question of the existence or non-existence of a deity.  As you will note, 6 and 7 are atheist positions, but only "strong atheism" is a position making a positive claim.

Quote1.00: Strong theist. 100 percent possibility of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'

2.00: Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there

3.00: Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'

4.00: Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

5.00: Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'

6.00: Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

7:00: Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung 'knows' there is one.'
Your interlocutor reminds me a bit of a "militant agnostic" who was a member here for a while, who called himself "Aedus."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

ForTheLoveOfAll

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

The Magic Pudding

terranus

Oooo, I like that scale. Put's things into perspective better. I'm probably a 5. My mom is probably a 6. And my dad is probably around -1.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

joeactor

... never really liked that scale.

It confuses "belief" with "knowledge".

I may believe 100% that there is a god, yet still claim no knowledge of god.

Agnostic is a position of knowledge, not belief...

(where's that square diagram when I need it - Ah! here it is...)

Notice how the chart is two-dimensional.  The scale is one-dimensional, and cannot fully represent the chart fully...

lundberg500

Tokage, I completely agree with you. Agnostics can be very frustrating to deal with. The ones that I have come across seem to think they are superior to atheists. They seem to believe they are more intelligent. They see us atheists as ignorant for completely denying the existence of a God. They believe that no one possesses enough evidence to come to that conclusion. There is a serious lack of evidence to support the existence of a God. That's why I claim to be an atheist. The "evidence" I go on is all the years of studying how absurd religion is. I am convinced that the man made religions are false. And to the existence of a god beyond that? There is no evidence whatsoever that would compel me to believe in a God. None. That's what atheism is all about. I choose not to believe in a god without evidence. It's just that simple.

terranus

Ah, you "strong" atheists are just being grumpy! Come on, lighten up  :P

Trovas Veron!

LegendarySandwich

My favorite part of that image is when it says "very advanced witnessing techniques are needed for these grouches."

As in, logic, rationality, and well-reasoned arguments?  lol

terranus

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out what "crotchety" means.
Trovas Veron!

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "terranus"Ah, you "strong" atheists are just being grumpy! Come on, lighten up  :P

Good god, tell me this picture is just a joke and not something some Christian group put out as serious...?
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

terranus

Some Christian group did...can't remember where it came from exactly...but yeah, it's a legit flyer.
Trovas Veron!

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "terranus"Some Christian group did...can't remember where it came from exactly...but yeah, it's a legit flyer.
Actually, it's not. It came from a pretty convincing Christian satire site.

Minecraft is actually a Christian game!! (Which is funny because I'm playing that game right now.)

Other game "reviews".

Tanker

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Minecraft is actually a Christian game!! (Which is funny because I'm playing that game right now.)

20 Europe  monies?!? I think I'll just buy a used 360 game.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.