News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

IHS Newsletter

Started by MikeyV, August 10, 2007, 06:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyV

I'm putting this here as it's along the lines of current events.

Does anyone get the Institute for Humanist Studies newsletter?

If not, I would recommend it to all. There are some really great news stories, comics, etc...

For a great sampling check out the Media Roundup page.

On it, I found out that U.S. Marshalls are letting people surrender in church, Scientologists are trying to convert people at the Minneapolis bridge collapse, Dawkins is starting a new campaign akin to the Brights, Atheist doctors are more likeley to care for the poor than religious doctors, and a bevy of other great articles.

Just thought I'd share.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

MommaSquid

QuoteJust thought I'd share.

Thanks for the link.  I've added it to my list of favorites.

I don't know if I'm compassionate enough to be considered a humanist, but the site is definitely worth reading.   :)

MikeyV

Quote from: "MommaSquid"I don't know if I'm compassionate enough to be considered a humanist, but the site is definitely worth reading.   :)

Those "Coexist" bumper stickers with all the religious symbols on them make me want to do harm to the driver.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

SteveS

Eh, depends on how much of a humanist I have to be.  I'm basically humanist, in that as you go down (from politics to underlying philosophy) my agreement becomes much stronger.

I don't really know what I am --- I've called myself a humanist, a libertarian, and an ethical egoist.  So who knows?  Like McQ once said on this site, I guess I'm also a "work in progress".

Quote from: "MikeyV"Those "Coexist" bumper stickers with all the religious symbols on them make me want to do harm to the driver.
:lol:  !!! Maybe I'm terrible, but that's how I used to feel about the "baby on board" signs!  Do harm to the driver, that is, not the baby....