News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

AHOY and YARRRRR!

Started by Ubi Dubium, February 09, 2011, 03:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubi Dubium

OK, enough lurking.  I'll go ahead and introduce myself.

Ubi Dubium here, from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pbuH) forums.  I also used to spend rather a lot of time at De-conversion, but things have been a little soporific there of late.  I'm also occasionally spotted commenting on Friendly Atheist, Ex-Christian, and on assorted other blogs.

I'm a Mom, a Skeptic, an Alto, and I have lately been focusing on learning about cognitive biases.  I've been an atheist for over 25 years, but only active in the last few, mostly spurred on by the deluge of religious BS that UbiDubiKid #1 and UbiDubiKid #2 have to put up with.  I'm a great admirer of Valerie Tarico and Richard Wade. And Tim Minchin.  I enjoy Pharyngula, but find that PZ, while an accomplished and poetic writer whom I often agree with, is occasionally (as we say at Venganza) a "pooface".

So RAmen to all, and now I'll come be opinionated at you on your other threads.
Hurry up, before we all come to our senses! - King Julien

terranus

Bonvenon al la Forumo!
[spoiler:3mkt2860]Welcome to the Forum![/spoiler:3mkt2860]
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Tank

Avastbehind or something like that  :hmm:

Welcome aboard.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

DP_Adam

Cognitive biases, sounds interesting! :)

Ubi Dubium

Thanks all.  My posting may be sporadic at times, depends on my work schedule.

I'd just like to mention that voting is open for the 2011 Skepchick Darwin Day baking competition, and that I have one of the finalist entries. Yay!!   You can find all the finalsts and the voting page here: http://skepchick.org/2011/02/11/darwin- ... more-18938

And here's what I baked:
Hurry up, before we all come to our senses! - King Julien

Tank

Quote from: "Ubi Dubium"Thanks all.  My posting may be sporadic at times, depends on my work schedule.

I'd just like to mention that voting is open for the 2011 Skepchick Darwin Day baking competition, and that I have one of the finalist entries. Yay!!   You can find all the finalsts and the voting page here: http://skepchick.org/2011/02/11/darwin- ... more-18938

And here's what I baked:
+1 vote for you, as the concept was top notch. Although I can see why the current leader is who it is as they have executed a well known meme with great baking skill.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Yar, and welcome to the forums! May his noodly appendage bless us all.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

xSilverPhinx

Welcome! And what better subject to learn about cognitive biases than religion! :D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey