News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What are you Eating right now?

Started by terranus, February 01, 2011, 06:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Low country boil, sometimes called Frogmore stew.   

Boil whole potatoes, half ears of corn, onions, kielbasa sausage, shrimp, oyster -clam- mussel (as available), seasonings such as garlic, basil, oregano, thyme according to your taste, add a little bit of butter or olive oil.  Boil the vegetables for ten minutes or so, add sausage, then add shrimp and boil until shrimp turns slightly pink.  It is also traditional to toss in crab, or chunks of fish to the mix when available.

This is all cooked in the same pot. drained, and thrown on the table top which will be covered with newspaper or brown paper ---- for easier cleanup. It is usually served without utensils , it is finger food.  Everyone just grabs what they want and eats with gusto. It can, and often is, accompanied by the beer of choice. This is a great party concoction that is easy to prepare. It is moderately nutritious and thoroughly delicious. 

Subject "low country" is along the coast of South Carolina and Georgia. Frogmore is an old South Carolina town that claims to have originated this kind of repast. A variety of sea foods are readily available in that part of the world and so the cooking has revolved around what was  affordable and easy to find.

Dragonia

I had low country boil for the first time a couple months ago....totally a southern (US)  treat! It was a little spicy and a lot delicious!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Magdalena

I'm having a cup of coffee with a brownie.
(I baked the brownies, yesterday.)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on May 09, 2017, 04:49:34 PM
I'm having a cup of coffee with a brownie.
(I baked the brownies, yesterday.)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

OldGit

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on May 16, 2017, 04:11:19 PM
Quote from: Arturo on May 16, 2017, 11:11:24 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 16, 2017, 03:15:32 AM
Quote from: Arturo on May 16, 2017, 02:44:37 AM
https://goo.gl/photos/sjgHv4LryyHrReNn6
Is that a chimichanga:eyebrow:

Are fried burritos a chimichanga?

Yes.

So why not just call the damn thang' a "Fried Burrito' or "Burrito Frito"?
:shrug:

No they have to call it a "Chimifuckingchanga"...damn foreigners! ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Arturo

Interesting, I did not know that.

But no they aren't a chimichanga. They are chimichangas. And I'm currently letting loose on the ghost pepper hot sauce I put in there.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

Quote from: Arturo on May 16, 2017, 05:51:16 PM

But no they aren't a chimichanga. They are chimichangas. And I'm currently letting loose on the ghost pepper hot sauce I put in there.

And I bet you are wearing your Jimmy Choos as well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 16, 2017, 05:55:22 PM
Quote from: Arturo on May 16, 2017, 05:51:16 PM

And I bet you are wearing your Jimmy Choos as well.

Idk maybe ;D
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey