News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Age Discrimination

Started by Kylyssa, January 30, 2011, 06:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will37

Quote from: Kylyssa on January 30, 2011, 06:45:39 PM
Why is it considered appropriate to question someone's age in a discussion?  This will likely get me banned to even ask it, but I wonder why it's perfectly OK to use a minor's age as your argument instead of responding to their argument intelligently?  And why is it out of line if you call someone out for using age discrimination as their argument?

To me, using someone's age means you have no intelligent rebuttal for their argument so you are basically just saying "you are too young to have an intelligent opinion."  I think that discounting someone's argument due to their age is immature and bigoted.  If you can't argue without making personal attacks you aren't qualified to be part of the discussion.  Questioning people's ages is a personal attack when it really isn't relevant to the conversation.  If we are talking about what's hot with teens now or how to deal with the troubles of aging, age isn't irrelevant but for just about anything else, it is.

But for some reason it's OK to basically end a discussion with, "you're young and thus immature and ignorant so I win!" and anyone who disagrees will be warned.

I can understand why a minor might be warned for participating in discussions it might be illegal for him or her to participate in but to just support age discrimination instead seems wrong, doesn't it?  Why not just ban minors from threads it's illegal for them (and us if they are there) to exercise free speech in instead of going on about the legal repercussions of hosting discussions illegal for minors to participate in?    

In case you were wondering, I'm forty-one.

You'll understand when you're older.
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

Tank

Quote from: Will37 on May 06, 2011, 06:30:54 AM
Why is it considered appropriate to question someone's age in a discussion?  This will likely get me banned to even ask it, but I wonder why it's perfectly OK to use a minor's age as your argument instead of responding to their argument intelligently?  And why is it out of line if you call someone out for using age discrimination as their argument?

To me, using someone's age means you have no intelligent rebuttal for their argument so you are basically just saying "you are too young to have an intelligent opinion."  I think that discounting someone's argument due to their age is immature and bigoted.  If you can't argue without making personal attacks you aren't qualified to be part of the discussion.  Questioning people's ages is a personal attack when it really isn't relevant to the conversation.  If we are talking about what's hot with teens now or how to deal with the troubles of aging, age isn't irrelevant but for just about anything else, it is.

But for some reason it's OK to basically end a discussion with, "you're young and thus immature and ignorant so I win!" and anyone who disagrees will be warned.

I can understand why a minor might be warned for participating in discussions it might be illegal for him or her to participate in but to just support age discrimination instead seems wrong, doesn't it?  Why not just ban minors from threads it's illegal for them (and us if they are there) to exercise free speech in instead of going on about the legal repercussions of hosting discussions illegal for minors to participate in?    

As a matter of interest how old are you?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Will37

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2011, 09:07:51 AM
Quote from: Will37 on May 06, 2011, 06:30:54 AM

As a matter of interest how old are you?

'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp