News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Age Discrimination

Started by Kylyssa, January 30, 2011, 06:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeBobSmith

:verysad:
JoeBobSmith

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "JoeBobSmith"So what your saying is that this self-admitted 14 yo kid could have been lying and still could be a dirty old man?
Le sigh.

:shake:

JoeBobSmith

JoeBobSmith

Tank

Quote from: "JoeBobSmith"
Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "JoeBobSmith"So what your saying is that this self-admitted 14 yo kid could have been lying and still could be a dirty old man?
Le sigh.

:shake:

don't worry, i am done with this line of posting

but you must admit, most 14 yo don't post the kinds of things you do

LS is an exceptional young man. When he kicks ass I do tend to forget how old he is. If only there were more, many more, like him.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

I think LS is 14. Just look at his username.

:hide:
The world's what you create.

Asmodean

I don't see why certain people have such trouble with Sandwich...  If he says he's 14, then that's what he probably is. Which is, by the way, none of your business in the first place (exc. Whitney, who is entitled to know that people are actually over 13 at signup or have parental consent... Different story.)

Sorry for third-personing you, Sandwich, since you are likely a part of this convo... Just following the style others used
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

JoeBobSmith

JoeBobSmith

Lythande

Get off my lawn, ya d*mn kids!

Okay, now that's out of the way...  When I first got on IRC, three-quarters of the channel knew more about the then-modern computers (PCs) than I did, and half of them were 15 and under.  (I was an old Vax/COBOL nut, so  I wasn't completely stupid.)  I learned a lot from them, and hopefully they from me.  I'd wager half the folks I've talked to on the 'net fall into that age-group, but since I'm a firm anti-a/s/l type, I can't say.  Wisdom may be age-acquired,  but intelligence isn't.  If a person shouldn't be involved in a discussion because of age, it's their parents' responsibility to see that they aren't -- not mine.

Youth is wasted on the young.
Considering the punishment for promiscuity at the time, an immaculate birth was just a good cover story.

rawrdog822

You know, there is a valid point there.  I have seen pre-teens and teenagers act more mature then middle aged adults.  When I became an atheist I was 11, and everyone said that I didn't know, or I was going through a phase.  Even now, I am 19 and I got a tattoo supporting my atheism.  When one of my neighbors realized what the tattoo meant she told me I was going to regret it someday.  However, there are some children that are honestly too immature to make an argument.  But some kids are mature and can make those arguments.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "rawrdog822"You know, there is a valid point there.  I have seen pre-teens and teenagers act more mature then middle aged adults.  When I became an atheist I was 11, and everyone said that I didn't know, or I was going through a phase.  Even now, I am 19 and I got a tattoo supporting my atheism.  When one of my neighbors realized what the tattoo meant she told me I was going to regret it someday.  However, there are some children that are honestly too immature to make an argument.  But some kids are mature and can make those arguments.
That seems to be a common retort -- that you're just "going through a phase"; you'll "wake up one day and realize that God exists".

My parents still try to convert me back, although my mom is much worse than my dad in this respect. He rarely ever bugs me about it and last time I went to church with him he let me sleep in the car. My mom, on the other hand, still makes me read the Bible, go to church (although a lot of the time I can weasel out of it some way or the other), etc.; and talks to me about God and tells me to pray on a regular basis. Really, what is she hoping to accomplish? That's obviously a rhetorical question, as I full-well know the answer; but it may be a good question to ask her next time she tries to bring me along to Church.

Byronazriel

She probably genuinely believes that you'll go to hell if she doesn't "save" you. Just be happy she doesn't try to cast out your "demons," or or some other such nonsense.

I don't know the whole situation, but if you're having problems it probably wouldn't hurt to talk about them. Maybe you could come up with a compromise.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

ForTheLoveOfAll

If you're right, you're right. Your age makes no difference in that regard. If an older individual is going to put down a child for proving them wrong by simply throwing their age in the kids face, it says alot more about the adults maturity and reasoning skills than anything. It's pride that gets in the way of letting someone "beneath" you come out on top.

There was a time when the average 13-16 year old was more mature, had a better work ethic, and, sometimes, more intelligent than the average 30 year old is today. The age of majority has been pushed forward, and kids are encouraged by the media to "goof off" during their developmental years. Adults expect this of kids, as a rule, and therefore, the kids tend to be more than happy to oblige.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "rawrdog822"You know, there is a valid point there.  I have seen pre-teens and teenagers act more mature then middle aged adults.  When I became an atheist I was 11, and everyone said that I didn't know, or I was going through a phase.  Even now, I am 19 and I got a tattoo supporting my atheism.  When one of my neighbors realized what the tattoo meant she told me I was going to regret it someday.  However, there are some children that are honestly too immature to make an argument.  But some kids are mature and can make those arguments.
That seems to be a common retort -- that you're just "going through a phase"; you'll "wake up one day and realize that God exists".

My parents still try to convert me back, although my mom is much worse than my dad in this respect. He rarely ever bugs me about it and last time I went to church with him he let me sleep in the car. My mom, on the other hand, still makes me read the Bible, go to church (although a lot of the time I can weasel out of it some way or the other), etc.; and talks to me about God and tells me to pray on a regular basis. Really, what is she hoping to accomplish? That's obviously a rhetorical question, as I full-well know the answer; but it may be a good question to ask her next time she tries to bring me along to Church.
That kind of proselytizing will only push someone further and further away from religion. I've got kind of the same situation here.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

ZombiePhysics

It actually pisses me off more than I would think it would that there are so many stupid youger-aged YouTubers & other uploaders & the like that come off as incredibly unwatchable due to stupidity, but I try not to hold bias as I am subscribed to a number of younger-ish YouTubers whom I enjoy videos from. I won't try to plug random channels in and seem like a shill. I consider myself to be an intelligent person, whether it be bias or atheism or general detesting of most of humanity, I try to stay open as much as possible. I think the age argument is basically stereotyping and a weak argument in general, and rarely actually applies since people on teh interwebz usually are more private about their lives outside of teh interwebz.
"I wait for a miracle every day, but what I've seen here has only tested my patience, not my faith." - Fox Mulder

Tank

Quote from: ZombiePhysics on May 01, 2011, 06:29:10 AM
It actually pisses me off more than I would think it would that there are so many stupid youger-aged YouTubers & other uploaders & the like that come off as incredibly unwatchable due to stupidity, but I try not to hold bias as I am subscribed to a number of younger-ish YouTubers whom I enjoy videos from. I won't try to plug random channels in and seem like a shill. I consider myself to be an intelligent person, whether it be bias or atheism or general detesting of most of humanity, I try to stay open as much as possible. I think the age argument is basically stereotyping and a weak argument in general, and rarely actually applies since people on teh interwebz usually are more private about their lives outside of teh interwebz.
Actually if you take the time to get to know them most of humanity is quite nice in my experience. There are arseholes but I would estimate between 3 to 5 in a hundred and various degrees of arseholeishness.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.