News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

THE END TIMES!!!

Started by Ultima22689, January 24, 2011, 10:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

Maybe it's just me but has anyone noticed the surge of troll activity lately? Logic is being raped  everywhere, trolls continue to rise from the earth. This can only mean one thing, internet god is about to start the rapture, repent on 4chan and pray for forgiveness.

Seriously though, is it me or has there been a major surge in trolls on the forum? Every week there's 2 more people trolling the boards.

Whitney

It's not just you.  At first I thought it was the typical holiday surge of people who only feel then need to talk at atheists when the season reminds them they haven't been to church all year.  But we are now well past Christmas and still pretty far away from Easter.

Maybe it's because they all think they are going to die in 2012?

(also could be because the forum is growing)

TheWilliam

I read the forum more than I post and this whole troll business bugs me, because by the time I realize it's bullshit, I've been reading the thread for ten minutes.

-Sarah plain needs to let me smash-

Ultima22689

Well at least you get a good laugh out of it. It's good that the forum is growing though, hopefully we'll get more people of different views that aren't trolls, I do believe we have at least one of those newbies now.

Whitney

Yes, more theists who are willing (and able) to discuss would be nice.

I don't think all the trolls really mean to do it (which would not really make them trolls) but they still have the same problem effect of annoying everyone.  Not all of them have been religious either.

LegendarySandwich

I have a feeling that two or more of these trolls are the same person.

Whitney

Ok, came up with a solution.

Newly registered users are restricted to the "Getting to know you" section of the forum (yes it is new) until they hit 50 posts.

That will give us time to catch the more obvious trolls  and restrict the access of those who we suspect of trolling before they derail huge masses of the forum

Ideally this will mean users won't even discuss debateable topics till after they hit 50 points...going to figure out that one as we go along because I can't create a rule against debate in that area since we also don't allow preaching.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Whitney"Ok, came up with a solution.

Newly registered users are restricted to the "Getting to know you" section of the forum (yes it is new) until they hit 50 posts.

That will give us time to catch the more obvious trolls  and restrict the access of those who we suspect of trolling before they derail huge masses of the forum

Ideally this will mean users won't even discuss debateable topics till after they hit 50 points...going to figure out that one as we go along because I can't create a rule against debate in that area since we also don't allow preaching.

50 sounds like a lot, wouldn't regular people loose patience?
One persons 50 posts might be worth 500 of mine.

Ultima22689

Indeed, I think 20-25 would probably a little bit nicer. This is a good idea though, the trolling was getting a little out of hand.

Whitney

50 is just a starting point...it can be adjusted and if I understand the feature properly there isn't a reason why I couldn't release people sooner manually.

KDbeads

I think this will help, really.  I do like reading the debates but here lately they've been not as 'educational' and more 'preachy', you could say.  This from a person who totally sucks at debate yet enjoys reading them to get a better grasp on it.

Honestly, I think the influx potential troll material of may be tied in with a certain news channel and the churches who swear by it.  It's getting so bad here in town that I don't leave the house unless I have to due to all the self-righteous BS I'm hearing.  I go to the store ONLY when needed, the vet, the thrift store, post office and that's it.  I rarely speak to anyone because I just don't want to hear it anymore.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

terranus

Like the idea, but the "Getting to know you" section makes it sound like we have a pledging period now, like the Fraternities/Sororities do in college. Oh well. It will at least keep the trash out. And if you're an active member, then it won't take you long to break 50. I've been here less than a month and I'm already at 90+

EDIT: By the way, I would say the reason for there being lots of trolls here is because when you do a Google search for "atheist forum", Happy Atheists is the first site that pops up.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Wes

This really goes for any forum/site/game with chat, but I always wish there was a troll filter option. That way if you are actually trying to get something down or be productive you have that option, but if you want some mindless entertainment (quite sadistic considering that it would be at the expense of the sane being duped by the under-bridge dwellers) you could find that too. I guess the best thing you can do to trolls is to identify them and compliment them. There isn't a proper effective troll response to that.  :bananacolor:

fester30

It's sorta funny you mention the trolls coming out and End Times.  I've had (in real life) two very calm, very awesome debates with Christians on that very subject, and they didn't get mad.  They're still Christians, but nobody was trying to convert anybody, and there was a lot of give-and-take about not just the Biblical ideas of the end of the world, but also some other ideas (Nostradamus, psychics, my wife's reaction if I ever cheat on her).  All of these things I suppose could end the world (especially the wife thing) because I have no proof it won't (just like I have no definite proof that ghosts don't exist or that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone).  Since I can't prove against it, I guess that means it's true! :D

februarystars

Quote from: "terranus"By the way, I would say the reason for there being lots of trolls here is because when you do a Google search for "atheist forum."
But rest assured, I am not a troll.

And I did scope out a few other forum sites before ultimately deciding that this one was the raddest of the bunch. You're welcome. ;)
Mulder: He put the whammy on him.
Scully: Please explain to me the scientific nature of "the whammy."