News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Sexism: Is It Acceptable?

Started by LegendarySandwich, January 24, 2011, 05:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegendarySandwich

Pilchardo: Why, exactly, is it okay to treat women and men differently but not whites and blacks differently? Care to explain?

Tank

Not sure you two haven't got your wires crossed about who thinks what.  :pop:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Tank"Not sure you two haven't got your wires crossed about who thinks what.  :hmm: What do you mean?

Tank

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "Tank"Not sure you two haven't got your wires crossed about who thinks what.  :hmm: What do you mean?
I think the two of you have got tangled up in each others posts/threads. I think pilchrdo didn't understand that you are anti-sexism and anti-racism and was using the racist comment to illustrate the stupidity of the sexist comment you referred to. Maybe you should make your position clear so at least there is a base line to work from rather than unknowingly arguing across each other. Just my take on what I read.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Tank"
I think the two of you have got tangled up in each others posts/threads. I think pilchrdo didn't understand that you are anti-sexism and anti-racism and was using the racist comment to illustrate the stupidity of the sexist comment you referred to. Maybe you should make your position clear so at least there is a base line to work from rather than unknowingly arguing across each other. Just my take on what I read.
I think he understood it perfectly. I'm fairly certain he's Bubblepot, so it's likely he's just being a troll again.

Ultima22689

LS you chauvinistic pig!

No I kid, so let me get this straight, are you being called a sexist/racist over a misunderstanding or what? I think I feel like taking part in a discussion again instead of leaving little comments here and there while I lurk.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Ultima22689"LS you chauvinistic pig!

No I kid, so let me get this straight, are you being called a sexist/racist over a misunderstanding or what? I think I feel like taking part in a discussion again instead of leaving little comments here and there while I lurk.
Pilchardo said that it's okay to treat men and women differently since they are different. I replied that with that line of thinking, it's okay to treat white people differently than black people because they are different. I asked him what his reasoning was for it's okay to treat people of different genders differently. He told me to make a new thread. I did. Now I'm awaiting his response.

Tank

Quote from: "Ultima22689"LS you chauvinistic pig!

Pilchardo said that it's okay to treat men and women differently since they are different. I replied that with that line of thinking, it's okay to treat white people differently than black people because they are different. I asked him what his reasoning was for it's okay to treat people of different genders differently. He told me to make a new thread. I did. Now I'm awaiting his response.
I stand corrected. I did not realise that pilchardo had made the original statement regarding differential treatment of the genders. I shall await his defence of this position with interest.

Ultima22689

Yes i'm trembling with antici...........pation!

Wilson

Good grief.  Of course it's okay to treat the sexes differently, in certain circumstances.  Boxing matches, maternity leave, mammograms, prostate exams.  Male and female brains probably have certain slight differences, just as their bodies do.  Be specific.  Present a scenario and ask if it's okay to treat men and women differently.  General outrage over the idea of some possible discrimination isn't helpful.

Tank

Quote from: "Wilson"Good grief.  Of course it's okay to treat the sexes differently, in certain circumstances.  Boxing matches, maternity leave, mammograms, prostate exams.  Male and female brains probably have certain slight differences, just as their bodies do.  Be specific.  Present a scenario and ask if it's okay to treat men and women differently.  General outrage over the idea of some possible discrimination isn't helpful.
Quite right. Let's see how pilchardo explains his position.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Wilson"Good grief.  Of course it's okay to treat the sexes differently, in certain circumstances.  Boxing matches, maternity leave, mammograms, prostate exams.  Male and female brains probably have certain slight differences, just as their bodies do.  Be specific.  Present a scenario and ask if it's okay to treat men and women differently.  General outrage over the idea of some possible discrimination isn't helpful.

So as a male, when a female goes full force, attempting to kick my ass, is it wrong to kick her ass?  The circumstances above make sense  but I don't box (although i'm rather good at it) and only fight in self defense. So, I hear people say that it's wrong to hit a woman regardless of how much she's trying to kill you, so is it wrong if beat the breaks off of said woman?

hismikeness

Quote from: "Ultima22689"

So as a male, when a female goes full force, attempting to kick my ass, is it wrong to kick her ass?  The circumstances above make sense  but I don't box (although i'm rather good at it) and only fight in self defense. So, I hear people say that it's wrong to hit a woman regardless of how much she's trying to kill you, so is it wrong if beat the breaks off of said woman?

My grandpa used to say that if a woman hits you three times in a row with intent, she's a man, kick her ass. I think the woman doing the attacking would fully well expect to get hit in return if she was just whaling on someone.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

Ah! But your juxtaposing a social imperative (men should not hit women) vs a physical imperative (mammograms vs prostate exams), we all have the right to self defence within the bounds of 'reasonable force' and medical treatment simply reflects anatomical needs.

Ultima22689

Your grandpa sounds like my kinda man hismikeness

Quote from: "Tank"

Ah! But your juxtaposing a social imperative (men should not hit women) vs a physical imperative (mammograms vs prostate exams), we all have the right to self defence within the bounds of 'reasonable force' and medical treatment simply reflects anatomical needs.

Hmm, agreed. I think mental difference is negligible at best and is likely more focused on how we think about life on a daily basis opposed to anything more serious than that.

What i'd like to know is, outside of physical necessities. What possible justification could one have to treat women differently from men?